Did you market watchers see this 330 GT 2+2 on BaT today? Exact car down 17% from a year ago. | FerrariChat

Did you market watchers see this 330 GT 2+2 on BaT today? Exact car down 17% from a year ago.

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by sixcarbs, Sep 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
  2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Seems a little low, but not that much. I would have thought it would make $180-200, but apparently not.

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    This has been a fun market to watch.

When I bought my 330 Series II you could find very nice examples in the $40k range. This was 2005.

But more are available for sale now than then.

Matt

4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The Monterey auctions were off about 19% 2019 to 2018, so this is right in line with the market.

5. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Nice profit!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smiles likes this.
  6. DCooper72

DCooper72 Rookie

Feb 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    Don Cooper
    I was offered that car for quite a bit less than it just sold for, ultimately I ended up spending more money on a far nicer example. I can’t see values getting much lower than they are right now.

7. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    It depends on the “investor to enthusiast” ratio. Global economic indicators are somewhat pessimistic...the investors are probably starting to at least look around to see where the emergency exits are located.

375+ and turbo-joe like this.
  8. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I think folks know that prices are down at the moment, so if someone is in a position to "just hold" a car, I can't see why they wouldn't.

The exceptions are probably folks that find themselves with a car and just want to monetize it as soon as possible (estate stuff), or folks that want to generate cash for (1) some other investment that they think will appreciate faster (good luck to them), or (2) some other car that is now suddenly within their reach because of the market pull back (lucky them!). In all cases, folks are doing what they view as best for them, and hopefully they are enabling someone else who falls into the "(2)" category.

No "losers" per se...

Regarding 330GTs, I thought the car that Gooding sold at Scottsdale was more of a bargain; less than $175k IIRC, and I thought it looked really quite nice...

9. DCooper72

DCooper72 Rookie

Feb 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    Don Cooper

Hammer was in 140s I think $165k with fees. It was much nicer but had “performance issues.” Definitely needed mechanical help. How much exactly ? I guess the new owner knows by now ...

10. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Oh, ok, I did not drive it or anything, so was just talking about the cosmetics...

Catalog description made it sound like it was mechanically maintained.

Perhaps there really are no great "bargains" out there... :)

11. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    All goods worth price charged...

12. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Black Vinyl Interior?????? Woof.

13. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
  14. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    When you compare RM’s pricing model with BaT’s the return to the vendor this time was probably not that different to the vendor selling at RM.

15. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
  16. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Buyers only pay a 5% fee on top of the final sale price to BaT, capped at $5,000, so it would be a $141K selling price.

17. Pmo75

Pmo75 Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    Is it that really cheap? Considering the needs : 40-50 on the exterior, easily 20 on mechanicals, and then some cosmetics inside. For sure, it can be enjoyed as is, and then it’s a great entry price. And probably fun ! But I think the price bakes in a lot of past neglect.

DCooper72 likes this.
  18. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    People spending almost $150k on a car, even a used, car, often think it should look like a $150k car, not some 50 year old used car. If that's how you think, this 330 wasn't for you.

If you want a fun V-12 to hop in and drive on a nice day, and you don't mind resale red with some dents, dings, and rust bubbles, this car looks great. In other words, a driver.

I can tell you from experience that you can drop $20k on it in a heartbeat, but honestly that is also true if you buy some super-restored "looks like new" vintage Ferrari as well. In fact, it might be more likely on the "looks like new" car. These are all old cars, and old Ferraris in particular cost money to take care of.

19. DCooper72

DCooper72 Rookie

Feb 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    Don Cooper
    Both of these 150k cars were bottom of the barrel. I don’t think they are completely indicative of the overall market. There will always be a bigger demand for very original and high quality examples.

20. DCooper72

DCooper72 Rookie

Feb 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    Don Cooper
    And now the new owner is already trying to resell that beater on eBay, $99k and no reserve .... Very strange

21. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    $99k no reserve sounds like a scam to me? Someone stole the pictures or something?

22. DCooper72

DCooper72 Rookie

Feb 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    Don Cooper
    No, it is not a scam. The seller claims he needs to raise cash ASAP.

It was auctioned on BaT also no reserve with a far lower starting bid.

23. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  24. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    This?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Ferrari-330-GT/174112136949?hash=item2889e45ef5:g:KkUAAOSwDbBd4qtA

Are you kidding me? Clearly a scam. No VIN, 3 pictures, no real description... right. Seller has never sold anything on eBay before and all feedback is from some purchases a few years go... right.

Car on BaT (pictures might be the same car) was not no reserve, and was definitely NOT a re-run. BaT is very careful about calling out when they re-run something, and why.

BaT did re-run a red 330 with a V-8 in it a while back, and that car started out as no reserve-- maybe that's what you are thinking of?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-ferrari-330-2-2/

And it brought more than the legit 330!

JAM1 likes this.
  25. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    So let me get this straight. Because the seller says he needs the cash it is therefore not a scam?