New tactics from Hamilton in future ? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

New tactics from Hamilton in future ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Sep 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I suppose is has beaten Ferrari too often to be liked by Ferrari fans ?

vinuneuro, ktu and Mark(study) like this.
  2. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    sure. whatever.

but new tactics. where are the new tactics? did he not have opportunity to employ? or perhaps he was too busy arguing on encrypted team radio for an undercut?

daytona355, fil and stavura like this.
  3. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    He did what he needed to do to move one step closer to his 6 Formula One World Drivers' Championship. Seems like it was just yesterday when the hype reached its peak?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ktu and william like this.
  4. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    So ham does not want more wins?

The bells ringing in Maranello three races in a row is a wonderful thing for Ferrari, Leclerc, Vettel, and a setback for ham's aspirations.

At any rate, other than the first lap challenge by Vettel, I don't really recall any wheel-to-wheel duels in which ham might have had a chance to show off any new tactics.

After he congratulated Vettel I did think he could use some new hair tactics. Does Merc have a hair tactician because surely they have a style strategist?

TifosiUSA, daytona355 and stavura like this.
  5. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    So now the issue's Lewis' hair? Sheesh.

william likes this.
  6. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Ha, nice try. I'd be happy to discuss the actual thread title or something racing related as I have attempted to do multiple times, including in my last post. I tossed in the hair comment as a humorous afterthought, but I guess that is what caught your attention as opposed to my comments on the Singapore race and no observed "new tactics."

daytona355 likes this.
  7. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    New tactics.... Error message - Fail!

TifosiUSA, daytona355, fil and 2 others like this.
  8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Don't rejoyce too soon; Hamilton must have still some tricks up his sleeves.

9. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    In Lewis fist or second year, he went for the win in China when all he needed was to finish in the top 3 to lock up the driver's championship. Pushed too long on worn tires and slid into the gravel while coming into the pit and beached his car. I think he learned that day that when it comes to world championships (would have been 7 for him instead of coming up on 6)....sometimes winning the championship is more important than going for the win every time.

ricksb and william like this.
  10. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Really? The only tactic I could see him doing is to start pushing people off the track, which wouldn't be new at all.

classic308, daytona355 and fil like this.
  11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Hamilton has to pace himself to secure the title, whilst his rivals (Vettel, Verstappen, and Leclerc) have to catch up.
    Hamilton's job is to maintain his points advantage as much as he can without any heroics.

ricksb likes this.
  12. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX

Yes yes yes. Of course. But you act as if I made some bold prediction about LH attempting to use new tactics. I didn't.

LH himself made the statement regarding "new tactics" following a Ferrari win at Monza.

So I guess we agree there weren't any "new tactics" on display at Singapore. When do you think "new tactics" night appear? After he clinches a WDC and Merc has clinched the WCC?

I hope Sochi brings a few good wheel-to-wheel duels. Although admittedly I'd rather see #5 and #16 sprint to the front let Vintage Max test LH #44 for these new tactics.

daytona355 and kandi like this.
  13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That looks acceptable now, it seems.

14. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Rejoicing about what too soon? Lack of "new tactics" by ham?

That is nothing my mood hinges upon either way.

daytona355 likes this.
  15. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Hehehe. I do enjoy this forum after a resounding win, and a lacklustre display from the world champion elect and his team. Charles is getting into Elton’s head, of that there is no doubt, and the little princess will be hard pushed to beat him wheel to wheel without a significant advantage, something Mercedes are perfectly capable of
    Providing (and are likely sandbagging on orders of FIA and liberty to stop people switching off). In the meantime, we get to enjoy all the lovely fantastic excuses for why he is proven just a fast driver but not a great one, just as all tifosi know, and why ferrari have never wanted him nor ever will. Forza Ferrari

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

TifosiUSA likes this.
  16. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    His new tactic is losing

17. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    :) :) :) :) :)

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

stavura and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  18. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

He's done that plenty of times before.
    Banging into Massa's Ferrari most weekends in his McLaren, and then banging into team mate Rosberg :D

fil, stavura and daytona355 like this.
  19. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    When DiResta brought this up in the post-quali interview, he did state that "Singapore is a street circuit, so you can't drive too recklessly."

Nortonious likes this.
  20. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Thank you. I missed that interview as I fast forwarded through him speaking to listen to Seb. I just went back to listen.

LH: I think tomorrow we can be aggressive
    di Resta: Different than Monza?
    LH: Uh, heh heh uh. Well it's street track, but we'll see.

So LH said he could be aggressive but then seems to retract that due to it being a street circuit. As I mentioned previously, I just didn't see much opportunity during the race for any "new tactics" to be applied outside of the wheel-to-wheel action during the first lap.

daytona355 likes this.
  21. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    simply brilliant

I look forward to seeing him apply this tactic in Sochi

fil and daytona355 like this.
  22. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    LOL.

Valencia 2012 is probably my favourite, when he pushed Maldonado off track. We all know what happened after that.

daytona355 and Bas like this.
  23. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    fully.

But we're constantly told how great he is and his ''race craft"? How can that possible be known when all we see is him drive out at the very front?

daytona355 and stavura like this.
  24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I don't think people have fully understood Hamilton's comment, or perhaps haven't even read it.
    The remark was about the new leniency shown by the FIA during overtaking, contrary to previous ruling.
    Hamilton simply said that if drivers don't have to leave a car's width, and simply get a black/white flag for it, he would do the same.
    No more, no less.

Source Motorsport

Lewis Hamilton will change the way he races and interprets what is acceptable in battle as long as Formula 1's rulemakers stand by new precedents being set.

Hamilton was unable to pass Charles Leclerc in the Italian Grand Prix, during which he complained about not being left a car's width while battling with the Ferrari driver and suggested his rival was being "dangerous" after another move.

Drivers have received more leniency since the Austrian Grand Prix, a race in which Leclerc lost victory after being bumped wide by Max Verstappen, as officials seek to allow harder racing to take place without penalties.

Leclerc said he learned from that experience and knew he could be more aggressive while battling Hamilton as a result, whereas last Sunday's battle was Hamilton's time in a wheel-to-wheel fight since officiating became less strict.

Hamilton suggested in the post-race press conference at Monza that the stewards were not being consistent, but when pushed later on what his issue was by Motorsport.com he clarified he wanted to know exactly what was acceptable.

"I don't think there's an issue, if that's how we're able to race then I'll race like it," he said. "As long as we know you're allowed to not leave a car's width, and you don't have to do that now.

"As long as you're not contradicting us, as long as we've got a clear message, that we're allowed to run wide if someone's there and you only get a warning flag.

"Then you only need that once to potentially keep the guy behind you. As long as it's clear, and that's the way going forwards, then it's fine.

"It's just so I know how to go into battle, same for all the drivers."

The FIA has worked with teams to review various incidents from this season and earlier, to establish how it can enforce the rules without being draconian.

It is hoped this will allow more so-called racing incidents to pass without a penalty having to be applied, and one example of this being enforced is the revival of the black/white warning flag.

Leclerc received one of these for moving under braking at the Roggia chicane, where Hamilton ended up being forced onto the run-off.

Hamilton stressed there was "absolutely zero issue" with Leclerc and all he would be interested in should the two drivers speak about their Monza fight would be to establish
    Leclerc is "cool" if the positions end up reversed and Hamilton drives in that manner.

"If that's cool, that's how we race," he said. "You're supposed to leave a gap, and now I don't know if that's the case because that's unsure with the rules.

"It's good we're able to race hard. It was a tough battle and that's good."