Dinoplex 101 rebuild? Daytona | FerrariChat

Dinoplex 101 rebuild? Daytona

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Edward 96GTS, Sep 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    is there a way to rebuild the large 101 dinoplex boxes? prefer to keep stock appearance and not extra external wires. ideally a plug and play with the original connectors.
    definitely dont want to do any programable internal mods.
    tia

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Seems there are several different ways to approach, including restoring all OEM internals, but in the end it all just depends on ones expectations of authenticity and/or willingness to endure necessary financial commitments.
    I’ve sorted this in couple of different ways on 103s, so I’m fairly sure it can be done on 101s.

3. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    mine bench test normal when cold but malfunction when hot.
    what is required to restore to original spec? est of repairs? time required to complete project?

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Sorry, I wouldn't be able to offer advise or estimates without further (private ?) consultation and/or hands-on diagnosis, which may also require access to the car and it's entire ignition system in question, but perhaps some one else can ?

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Can't you get an MSD which will fit in a Dinoplex box? That's what I would do. I basically did that in my 365GT, except since the Dinoplexes are in the wheel wells anyway, I didn't bother with the Dinoplex box.

6. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    a comment: the way I deakt with this was t0: gut the old stuff as it is essentially not reparable-they were not meant to be repaired,just unit replaced...
    the CD units which work the best-in my experiences-have been Permatunes' guts.
    THERE IS A TECHNICALLY IMPORTANT DIFFERENCE IF DONE ACCORDING TO HOYLE: THEY WILL RENDER YOUR POINTS into switching/triggers for field collapse in coils only and therefore there will be an enormous increase in point life span as current passing through them is now minimal.

There is a problem with "cross talk": static in the wiring-this requires that the trigger lead be shielded, and well shielded, lest static affects operation.
    Nearly ALL 103 boxes that have been reworked are a variation of this methodology, the dimensions for the earlier boxes is the difficulty.
    That's the nuts and bolts part of the story.
    Advances in available hardware ought to have made equivalent performance in a smaller package more available, but also with more variables. Even with this, once set up, it ought to be a "plug and play" affair from this point forward-IMO.

its been 10-15 years since I was doing this, but this is what my aging memory seems to recollect-good luck, hopes this aides your hunt...

7. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I thought T Rutlands used to sell plug and play replacements with new internals. Maybe not for Daytona but might be able to help you along.

David Feinberg in Tampa might be able to help you along with a suggestion as well.

8. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    they sold the much more common 103c versions as I recall