has anyone gone to the Shanghai race? | FerrariChat

has anyone gone to the Shanghai race?

Discussion in 'F1' started by rob lay, Sep 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm looking at going next year. What tickets do you recommend? What hotel? There are non-stop flights from Dallas. My girlfriend moved to states from China when she was 18, so we'll be good getting around plus I've been learning Mandarin. That said, are any of the tour company packages worthwhile?

Thanks!

2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Crikey Rob, mandarin? Isn’t that one of the most difficult languages to learn? Wow

I can’t help you in Shanghai mate, but someone should chime in, maybe joe Gonzalez would be good to PM as he goes everywhere to take the photos (see his pre race thread)

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

rob lay likes this.
  3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Stay in The Bund or directly across the river in Pudong. Mandarin Oriental (Pudong) is nice.

daytona355 and rob lay like this.
  4. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Is the race on the Bund side or Pudong? Stayed on the Bund, enjoyed a beautiful view of the river and Pudong eating breakfast buffet on the top floor of my hotel. Grand Hyatt in Pudong is a fabulous hotel, need to take 3 different elevators to get to the top floor which is a fantastic place to enjoy cocktails.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    verbal and pinyin writing is one of the easier languages, but yes characters near impossible for someone like me. :D

daytona355 likes this.
  6. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    M on the Bund nice restaurant with panoramic views of the Bund and Pudong night and day

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

daytona355 likes this.
  7. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    I would recommend any of the major hotels in Shanghai. the easiest way to get to the track is to get Metro line 11 which drops you off at the track - logistics wise it is one of the easiest race tracks to get too. the Metro maybe a little crowded but it is still not a super popular spectator sport for the Chinese.

rob lay likes this.
  8. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    As for track tickets I would recommend either the main start/finish straight grandstand or the umbrella type stands at the end end of the back straight as this is where most of the over-taking takes place (its a mega long back straight with a tight hairpin at the end). A lot of the stands are not open on race day to give the illusion the track is full I would estimate last time I went in 2018 approx 50% of the stands were empty.

bml71 likes this.
  9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think we're settled on going. A couple days in Beijing to see her dad and grandparents, train to Shanghai, and then Lin really wants to visit Hangzhou.

10. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Would recommend you get the high speed train from Beijing to Shanghai the air corridor here is a nightmare I think in 2 years of doing that trip I had a handful of flights on time the rest about 2-6 hours delay.

rob lay likes this.
  11. VPX

VPX Karting

Jun 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Good thing I took the UK job offer, not the Chinese one...:D

12. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    The rail network is amazing, time we have been talking about hs2 in UK, China built 6000kms of fully operational track.

VPX likes this.
  13. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    Don’t know about that. Appeared all sold out 2019 when I was there

14. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

wow, welcome, hotel wise, what comfort level are you looking for? it seems that those high end hotels are far from convenient to get to the venue.

I stayed at a Motel 8 level each time, because it literally is located inside of a subway station, which is only 4 clicks away from the "shanghai race track station"

15. Marco Polo

Marco Polo Rookie

Jan 14, 2017
    Cheshire, UK
    Hangzhou is a great place with lovely scenery - you'll enjoy it there after the hustle and bustle of Shanghai. I used to visit a supplier there and really enjoyed my visits. I used to stay at the Intercontinental. Take the bullet train from Shanghai - quick, comfortable, reliable and great value for money.

Marco

VPX and rob lay like this.
  16. bml71

bml71 Karting

Mar 2, 2019
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bradd Lewis
    I went this year - a great but different experience. I have been to Monaco, Montreal, Singapore, Melbourne, SPA and Austin and because it is in China and F1 is at a different stage it just felt more low key. I did get to watch the entire race from the Mclaren / Pirelli garages which was EPIC so nothing but fond memories for me.
    I stayed at the Ritz in Pudong and the train was a much better plan as traffic in Shanghai is horrid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob lay likes this.
  17. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Hi Rob

I go to Shanghai regularly and happy to make the following recommendations-
    Hotel - http://www.theyangtzehotel.com/en/default.html Located near People Square - not far from the Bund.
    Eat - http://m-restaurantgroup.com/ M on the Bund - I endorse Antony's recommendation above. Also anywhere in Xintiandi - there's 100 places to choose from :) It is the old French Quarter of Shanghai.
    Travel - HS train Beijing - Shanghai will beat a plane by 2 hours hotel to hotel - even if the plane is on time!
    Hangzhou is very attractive- take the HS train there also

Enjoy!

daytona355 likes this.
  18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Also let me know if any "enthusiast" Ferrari clubs or dealer groups in Beijing, Shanghai, or Hangzhou. So far the little research Lin did talking to family there search WeChat etc the only clubs they're finding are the trust funder 20 somethings just posing. Not quite the group we want to hang with.

20. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    I’d post in the Asia section of fchat which has a lot of HongKong members like FarEastFerrari . They probably have all the contacts you need

rob lay likes this.