355 - 355 B and GTS Stick getting really hard to find | Page 6 | FerrariChat

355 355 B and GTS Stick getting really hard to find

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, Aug 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Ha!!! Just wait until the millennials take over....you won’t be able to give one away!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

blkdiablo33 and Suffyk like this.
  2. Suffyk

Suffyk Formula Junior

May 25, 2012
    Unless it comes as an Uber :)

3. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    as of right now not a great selection to choose from

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  4. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Had an interesting conversation with my local Ferrari dealership yesterday ;)
    I was talking with one of the two service people, he explained they can do a major service without removing the engine ?
    They remove the gas tank. He did say it also depends on what else they have to repair/replace.
    So .......interesting if nothing else.

5. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    you have a good point

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Yes they do that too here; when I brought it up I got killed by the purist!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I pulled into a Dunkin Donuts today in my Porsche Cayman S. A millennial in a Prius with his horn rimmed glasses and almost beard pulled in next to me, looked over and shook his head disapprovingly. I just grinned. I can imagine what he would have done if I was in one of the Ferrairs. :p

8. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    This thread is not about F355 spiders...

Robb

9. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    Lol

10. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The problem with removing the fuel tank is generally the vent line connections break due to being plastic. Considering the age the 355, the plastic must be squeezed to remove the lines from the tank and will break. May be a smaller cost to replace each broken vent line, but then comes the consideration of replacing cam cover gaskets, cam seals, etc etc. Also, it can be very difficult to remove the crank pulley due to the close proximity to the chassis frame.

It may be worthwhile when the owner has already completed an engine out service and finds there is little maintenance at the next interval (ie only needing to replace timing belts).

11. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Mine is a 98 that is past the build number for valve problems (not a guarantee ), but better odds. Recent leak down numbers at 17k miles were perfect. So, I’d do 98 & 99 if I had to do it again.

Challenge, Steve355F1 and blkdiablo33 like this.
  12. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    found a few 355 b manual trans and why are the engine been completely rebuilt than just valve guides,exhaust manifolds etc,is it common on the 95/97s to have major eng concerns as rings?

13. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    It’s not common.

Most are due to a money shift...

Robb

14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    #139 Rossocorsa1, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    I admit, I don’t really monitor the market very closely, but if it’s true that there is really limited supply to meet demand, than its surprising that prices aren’t trending up more. That said, I totally appreciate why buyers are particular. Most smart buyers want low miles, unmodified, exceptional maintained/conditioned cars. Most 355’s are anything but that. I spent close to two years looking for what I wanted and I had to finagle a deal to get it. I was less concerned about three pedals vs. F1 and much more interested in finding a low miles car in superb, factory original condition. As with all Ferrari’s, these are the characteristics that ultimately are the most desired. For cars at the very high end of the spectrum, I would expect them to either command considerably more than what we commonly see today, or owners will just hold them.

carnutdallas likes this.
  15. chrisj951

chrisj951 Karting

Feb 18, 2015
    Metro Atlanta
    I agree about finding one with low miles and as original as possible, but I wouldn't pass over one with aftermarket headers and exhaust system. Since they're known problems, I look at it as a positive to not have to replace those things.

audi_328 and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  16. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Totally appreciate that sentiment. Still, there are some of us purists that hold originality up to a premium. One of my criteria was buying a late 98 or 99, for example, so I wouldn’t need to worry about the guides issue. As for headers, I haven’t had any issues with mine, but I concede that I maintain my 355 to concours standards, which isn’t for everyone. I enjoy competing at shows.

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I think people just are willing to pay what is asking for what is out there. In other words, regardless of availability, prices are too high for the buyers.

18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    But that doesn't mean you need a note book full of service receipts. And if you drive the car what is more important, that it needed $40,000 worth of work over the last 6 years or that all it needed were annual fluids and a major just before it was put up for sale? Frankly, when I see a car that was in the shop disproportionally more than the miles would suggest, I think LEMON, stay away, just another problem waiting to happen.

19. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Of course. Keep in mind, I stated in post #139 that "most smart buyers want low miles, unmodified, exceptional maintained/conditioned cars".

20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

Are you implying that I am not smart because I pulled out of a deal on a car with a little over 6k miles and opted for a car with 19k miles? ;)

My point was that a notebook full of records doesn't ensure that the car was well maintained. I'll opt for an original car with that is in proper condition when I buy it. I could care less abut the maintenance history. My car? I don't have much from the 1st owner, most from the 2nd, none for the 3rd, but a full PPI after a major service performed as part of the sale before I bought it. And under my ownership? 7 years and never been to a shop. I have documented my work with receipts. If that's not good enough for a buyer, don't buy it. It's what the car is today that matters. Sure, I don't want a 50k mile 355 any more that I want a 50k mile BMW, but 1K or 20K, I'd only be interest in the 1k car if I was putting it in a museum. If I was going to drive it, well there are a lot of things which probably haven't happened yet to that 1k car, or even a 10k car. Remember, these are Ferraris and longer term durability is pretty much field testing. It's not like buying a Corvette where probably 10 or 20 or more preproduction cars have done 50k miles on test tracks and the street.

21. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Not implying that at all. Everyone should enjoy their cars in whatever manner they see fit.

22. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    The valve guide issue is a $3k fix during an engine out service. Buying a 98-99 doesn't guarantee anything unless you know what's in it. Buy a 95 for the power, rawness, and less headache with other issues :).

audi_328 and Robb like this.
  23. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  24. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    Where can you rebuild two 355 cylinder heads for $3k? Wondering bc I paid closer to 10k.

25. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Fast Cars in Redondo Beach will do it (if you go in for an engine out service). I also checked around for independent shops and they quoted the same.