F12 tdf- American Shine Detailing | FerrariChat

F12 tdf- American Shine Detailing

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by ROMO, Sep 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    I know from time to time there have been threads about the best detailers in the area and a friend of mine who works at Rolls Royce suggested that I try a company run out of Sterling, VA called American Shine Detailing. They are owned by two mid to late 30 young men who look like their in the Armed Forces vs auto detailing.

You can ask for Brian or Brian the Owners and they also are set up for Mobile Detailing as well.

The following products were used by American Shine and I can say that the attached pictures just don't do the car justice.

3 Stage machine paint correction
    -Multiple stages of compound
    -Medium polish
    -Ultra fine polish
    -Spot wet sanding in certain areas to remove existing machine sanding marks from factory
    -Suntek Ultra series ppf applied to front bumper
    -Suntek CIR ceramic infrared window tint
    Products used-

Correction:
    Menzerna FG400 Compound with Lake Country Cutting discs, and Optimum purple wool pads
    3D One medium polish with Rupes yellow foam polishing pads
    Menzerna 3800 Super Finish Plus ultra fine polish with Lake Country black foam pads
    Protection-

BlackFire Wet Diamond polymer sealant (base layer, before wax)
    AutoFinesse Illusion show car wax layered over top the BlackFire
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
  3. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    Thank you! I should have mentioned that the paint is called Rosso Maranello and is a triple layer paint. HTTR

gt1995, E60 M5 and pilotoCS like this.
  4. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    I've used Brian (originally from speedfreak detailing) and he's very good. Takes his time and unlike other guys, is VERY detail oriented. Another vote for American Shine.

ASD20164 and ROMO like this.
  5. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    Brian and Brian do take their time and they're not cheap, however if you look at a cars cost and the percentage of their invoice it's a no brainer. There is nothing worse than to see a Ferrari not properly detailed and with all the ceramic coating on the car it's great to see the rain just fall off the car and the windows.
    They did my Roll Royce Wraith Black Edition and it has a 4 layer paint job and they made the car look brand new even though it's a 2017.
    I have really enjoyed working with them and they will be detailing my other cars and then coming out to my house to clean the cars monthly.
    They also have lifts at their shop and can clean the undercarriage of the cars as they did on the two cars I've given them thus far.
    Cheers

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    surprised it needed it compound - looks great!

7. ASD20164

ASD20164 Rookie

Sep 6, 2019
    Sterling, VA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Pretty much all these exotics need compound straight out of the factory. Because they are hand finished, they're usually laden with machine or hand sanding marks that either need heavy compounding or even additional sanding to remove. Even heavy rotary buffer swirl marks are usually present, though not as deep as sanding marks they still require a good effort to remove.

ROMO likes this.
  8. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #8 DreamCarrera, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    IMHO, these cars do not "need" compound straight out of the factory. Sure, properly using an aggressive compound (even on new cars) will help to eliminate swirl marks and scratches in the paint but in order to accomplish this you must shave off some of the car's clear coat. Unfortunately, there is a finite amount of clear coat on a car and I am not too eager to regularly reduce the thickness of my car's clear coat simply to remove all traces of swirl marks. Eventually, you run out of clear coat. Wash carefully to help avoid introducing deep new scratches in your clear coat and paint.

Personally, I prefer to use the least abrasive method of detailing on my cars even if that means allowing some of the minor scratches to remain in the clear coat surface. Also, a good wax can help fill in the minor swirls and make them less noticeable without further degradation of the clear coat. YMMV

Wow, your F12tdf looks excellent ROMO!!!

ROMO likes this.
  9. ASD20164

ASD20164 Rookie

Sep 6, 2019
    Sterling, VA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    DreamCarrera - Respectfully, that would ultimately depend on what your expectation is of the condition of your paint's clear coat. If you are OK with some scratches and sanding marks then that's fine, but that does not mean that the vehicle still does not "need" a certain process for their removal. I can tell you that I have seen and worked on enough new Ferraris and other exotics to say definitively that to get the best result, one that is free and clear of defects that should not be there; this is the process.

ROMO likes this.
  10. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Love that color!

ROMO likes this.
  11. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    I can offer this as the owner of the tdf in that the triple layer finish on this particular car- which was a very late production tdf- seem to be the worse triple layer finish that I've ever received from the factory. I have four other Ferrari's in different colors with triple layer finishes, and the LaFerrari I own in the same color as the tdf, Rosso Maranello, was nowhere as bad as the tdf was from the factory. The before and after American Shine worked on the tdf was appreciably different.
    As we all know, you can take a paint meter to any triple layer finish factory finish and find major discrepancies in the meter readings.
    I'm very happy, in fact thrilled with the way my tdf turned out. Cheers!

12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Just a beautiful finish on an awesome car with a magnificent paint choice. Thank you for posting and for me very timely to see. I know you can use anyone out there so finding the time and sharing your experience is much appreciated. Best.

ROMO likes this.
  13. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    +1
    Furthermore, l don't believe that such imperfections as noted by the OP are very detectable (if even visible at all) to the average owner standing a few feet away from the car, which is how we normally look at our cars, to drink in the entire view.

And then, too, if you make the finish too perfect, you'll fret about what happens to the car when you drive it. I say 'drive it' and 'enjoy it' - by God, you've earned it!

DreamCarrera likes this.
  14. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    heard a story this weekend about a custom who was delivered an 812 brand new, found out it was crashed at FNA and they never told him. crazy

15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Damaged, repaired, and painted cars when still in the control of FNA and before delivery are considered factory new condition to the buying public. Its not yours until the paperwork is done and you take delivery. A real crash would be hard to hide so maybe need a PPI on new cars! o_O I think the dealer may not even know if it was repaired at a port location.

To the other sentiments above, I don't think the finish on a special car you love can be too perfect at least at one time. I know I like to stand back and drink in the beauty as was stated but that last up close view of the fender top and the crown of the roof before you enter the cabin is magic. Triple layer deeply shimmering in a halo-less lens of perfection. Yummy!

16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Romo, What color is your car? Is that Fuoco? Beautiful red.

17. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    It's actually called Rosso Maranello which was a new color made available in 2012 when the FF was launched. It's a triple layer paint that's more of a cherry red in the daylight but has subtle hues of a very light burgundy at times versus Fuoco which is also red but with orange hues in it. I had a Rosso Fuoco GTO at one point but just fell in love with the Rosso Maranello which I also have on my LaFerrari. My wife is yelling at me to get ready for our family's arrival but I'll post pics of the tdf and LaFerrari in the sunlight sometime soon! Happy Thanksgiving

ASD20164 likes this.
  18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Such a beautiful color. Happy Thanksgiving.

19. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    Thank you