intake manifold to brake check valve part for 458 | FerrariChat

intake manifold to brake check valve part for 458

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by action-ant, Sep 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hey guys,

I have searched the usual online website diagrams in the brake system sections to see if I can identify and order this particular part but I haven't had any luck.

Doing an image search, I found various Volvo valves but they didn't have the barbed fittings. I found some on Amazon but don't know if these would work:

https://www.amazon.com/Dade-Vacuum-Suction-058133753B-Folconroad/dp/B01H0271K2/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_263_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AAPX4C2SDJE30MX0MQ1H

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Cylinder-Sucking-11611440135-1996-2003/dp/B075JDXDPP/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_263_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AAPX4C2SDJE30MX0MQ1H

Has anyone ever replaced theirs or know where this can be ordered?

Thanks for any help,

Ant

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The valve is integral with the plastic vacuum tubing for the power brake system. You have to buy the entire rear portion of the vacuum tube to get the valve, as it is not sold separately by Ferrari. The tubing is shown on the brake servo parts page.

action-ant likes this.
  3. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Thanks Brian, very much appreciated. How difficult is replacing the vacuum tube assembly? I looked in the WSM but all I saw were instructions for disconnecting at various places before separating the engine from the car.

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    BMW used a very similar valve on the 6 cylinder e39 cars. However the plastic tubeing will be specific to the 458. I would suggest to just order it from the dealer. I highly doubt its and expe dive part.

That said, why are you replacing it? I have never had to replace one on any car with a similar valve.

5. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hi Tom,

I am seeing a weird thing happening somewhat frequently. When I press on the brake pedal to hit the engine start button, the pedal feels fine and travel is normal. After the engine is running, when I press the brake pedal again to engage reverse gear, the pedal is stiff with little travel. I backed the car out slowly a few feet and when I applied the brakes, the pedal felt fine with normal travel and assist. It happened at least twice over the weekend. At red lights, I would repeatedly stab the brakes to see if I could get a dead pedal but I didn’t get a dead brake pedal. I did feel slight differences in pedal travel and firmness (maybe the frequent brake presses didn’t allow for vacuum to build up quickly enough?). Would you have any ideas what could be a possible root cause? I definitely did not feel any dead brake pedal with the car moving at speed. I thought perhaps I can try to disconnect the vacuum line at each intake manifold and apply vacuum and see if it holds or leaks vacuum pressure? It might be a little easier to replace then the brake booster but I’m still trying to figure out if it’s possible to replace the vacuum hose assembly. The vacuum hose assembly looks like there are two check valves and three connection points in the shape of a Y. There’s a line going to each intake manifold and they tie into each other and run down towards the vehicle floor and connects to a main line that runs along the floor towards the front.

Any help would be appreciated!

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    When you say "dead pedal" what exactly to do you mean? Does the pedal go hard or does it travel to the floor further then normal under normal foot pressure.

Generally speaking, if a booster is losing vacuum, the brake pedal will be very hard with little give, and the car will be very difficult to stop without significant pressure being applied to the brake pedal.

7. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hi Tom,

The pedal is stiff with little travel/movement. This is immediately after starting the engine. I put the car in reverse gear and move the car a few feet and when I go to press on the brakes again, the pedal feel is normal and the travel is normal.

Thanks for any help,

Ant

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Gotcha. Try this simple test. Start the car and let it build vacuum in the booster. Press the brake pedal. When it feels normal, remove your foot from the pedal, and shut the car off.

With the car off, pump the brake pedal, and count how many pumps it takes until the pedal no longer feels like it has any assist. It should be in the area of 4-6. If you get less out of it, that Indicates a vacuum leak, or possibly an internal booster problem.

9. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Thanks Tom, I'll give it a try. What is weird to me is that the brake pedal feels as if there is zero vacuum right after I start the engine up. But once I apply a little throttle and move the car a few feet, the pedal feels fine. When I was stopped at red lights, I would pump my brakes to see if I could feel a stiff/dead pedal. And I did not feel a stiff/dead pedal while the car was moving at speed (I would probably **** a brick).

I've uploaded a quick clip showing the weird brake behavior after starting the engine:

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    At this point..I personally would take the car in and have the brake booster vacuum circuit smoke tested for leaks. It will require a fair bit of disassembly in order to see the vacuum lines and joints all the way up to the front of the car to the booster. If no leaks are found, I would suggest to replace the booster itself. This is an unsafe situation.

The 458 has had quite the history with this issue and it is now showing up in the 488 in some cases.

Qavion likes this.
  11. Reid

Reid Karting

May 18, 2018
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    Reid Fox
    You have a vacuum leak between the booster and the check valve at the engine, the question is where. Do the test push the brake several times until there is no boost then start the engine for a few minutes then count how many brake applications you get before the boost is gone. 5 or 6 is typical if it is good however start it again to build up the vacuum and then do the count rest after half an hour, this test will expose a very slow leak. The check valve at the engine can also be intermittent because it is simply dirty inside and doesn't always seat properly. run some solvent through it and see if it improves it may be an easy fix. there could be a leak in the booster or anywhere between the booster and the valve the next step would be apply a vacuum tester directly to the booster and test for leaks

12. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I feel this as well.
    One theory that I came up with, and assumed it's normal because of, is that the parking brake/hold is applied when the car is started and in Park. I assumed that this affected the pedal feel, because whenever the car is in drive, and I start going, the parking brake/hold releases automatically, and the pedal goes back to normal.
    I figured that if there was a "problem", that it would affect the braking of the car when driving it, and the brakes work perfectly when driving. Therefore, my conclusion (a complete guess) made perfect sense to me. If there was a vacuum leak, the pedal usually sinks to the floor slowly if you hold steady pressure for a little while.

13. Reid

Reid Karting

May 18, 2018
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    Reid Fox
    If there is a vacuum leak it will cause the pedal to be hard and high because of a lack of power assist. This applies to ANY car not only Ferrari but any car with vacum assisted brakes, the vacuum acts upon a large diaphragm inside the 'power booster' to assist the driver in applying the brake pedal. Any vacum assist has a check valve on the booster where the vacuum hose attaches, this is a safety device that allows 5 or 6 brake applications with assist if the engine stalls. Now a vehicle with a mid engine or rear engine (911 Porsche) will ALSO have a second one way vacuum valve near the engine, this is because of the longer vacuum hose to the booster, note the booster itself also has a check valve. It is only for power assist nothing else. It can also get a little more complicates when some models use a vacuum pump as a supply but the principles are the same for assist.
    If the brake pedal goes down to the floor slowly you have a brake fluid leak. This is not a booster issue.
    Any brake assist system generally should test this way - test the ability to assist at all and test the ability to provide 5 - 6 brake applications in the event of an engine failure
    - Press brakes until the assist runs out - typically 5-6 times you will feel the pedal get noticeably hard and it will be higher like manual brakes
    -hold the brake pedal and start engine - the brake pedal will drop slightly as assist is applied by the engine vacuum
    -let go of brakes and let vacuum build up in booster - 30 seconds is plenty of time
    - turn off engine and count how many brake applications it takes for the assist vacuum to run out. Should be 5-6 applications
    This particular Ferrari in this thread seems to run out of assist overnight - that shows that there is a very small leak which is not really a safety issue but it does show there is a leak somewhere which should be dealt with because it will eventually get worse. First prove that it actually is an assist problem that takes all night second start a process of elimination each morning - unplug the vacuum at the booster is there in fact a check valve right on the booster? there should be does it have any vacuum in the morning in the booster? it should have
    As far as applying the e-brake yes you may feel a slight difference in pedal as you apply e-brake but nowhere near the difference between power assist and lack of power assist.

14. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    For some reason, I was under the impression that a bad booster would produce a hard pedal, but a vacuum leak (depending where it is) will let the pedal sink slowly. I believed it because as the engine revs up, it sinks a little faster. I stand corrected.
    However, in my case, I'm 99.99% sure it is the mechanical brake causing this feeling since I can duplicate it with the application of the parking brake.

15. Reid

Reid Karting

May 18, 2018
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    Reid Fox
    A bad booster can sometimes overboost, this will cause a brake locking up when you are trying to do only a light application, highly over sensitive brakes. It is rare to see, when you do it is probably as a result of the master cylinder leaking brake fluid into the booster and calls for a replacement of master and booster.
    On a 360 the e-brake actuation is upon the caliper piston in the rear, you will feel it in the pedal when you apply the e-brake but also it is only slight unlike the feeling of having no boost. upon startup. A vacuum leak will result in less boost and revving the engine will result in less vacuum unless the engine is backed by a vacuum pump then the case you are describing might apply. Audi uses a vacuum pump on the booster. Ferrarri maybe on newer models I'm not sure but on a 360 no. They use a pump typically when you see both camshafts being variable and a short and long intake system they will have a lack of vacuum at idle, then they compensate with a vacuum pump, also diesels typically use a pump.

16. neilbaker86

neilbaker86 Rookie

Nov 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Neil Baker
    Did you fix this problem? I have a 458 which is doing the exact same thing.

Mine has an inconsistent brake pedal, sometimes it's firm with little to no braking effort available. Othertimes it's fine. Really disconcerting.

17. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    neilbaker86 likes this.