Monterey Auction 512 BBi | FerrariChat

Monterey Auction 512 BBi

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Enzo Belair, Aug 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I know a lot of people are obsessed with valuation. Here is an example of what a good car can bring at auction even with pricing trending down. It is reported that on average prices were down 25% across all auction houses this year in Monterey. I saw a long-nose, torque-tube, triple-carburetor, steel-bodied 275 GTB sell for sub 2M, that's low. With that said this extremely nice, although federalized, 1984 512 BBi sold for $432,000 which is strong.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/mo19/monterey/lots/r0081-1984-ferrari-512-bbi/781620

rob lay likes this.
  2. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I think the take away here which I have always known is you get what ever you can get within the value range for the car despite the market at that particular time. Try to get the most you can obviously, don’t try to hurry up and sell, take your time. Through time and marketing efforts and exposure you will get the most you can for the vehicle which is the goal if you want to sell and you are not fishing like some dealers. You are a real seller looking for a real buyer. Example if you are asking 350k for a tr your not a real seller. You have based on your price no motivation. If I get my price then I’ll sell otherwise forget it as an example.

MOSS likes this.
  3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

nice result for what looks to be a very nice example!

Zeff likes this.
  4. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Crisp & clean, and CA legal. Wow!

5. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    wow, that's nice!

6. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    A 5000 serial #
    2500 miles
    and Red with Tan...

Are the reason this car is strong # $$
    IMO, this is not indicative of the market
    This car, Truly ultimate addition to collectors garage!

DonB likes this.
  7. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Awesome car with incredibly low miles. But the low mileage number to me always spells trouble. IF you want to use the car. If it's going to be a garage queen then I guess it's fine.
    With over 20 plus years with my BBi, experience shows that they HATE to sit. The more they're driven the better they work. And, you can actually enjoy the car!
    Just sayin...

ross and turbo-joe like this.
  8. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    That's a benchmark example. You can discount all others off of that one. Last year, low (time capsule) mileage, all there, from a prominent collection.

And maybe you can add 10% for live Monterey auction action. Whether it is alcohol or two rich guys in a bidding war trying to impress their respective entourages.

Having said that I would discount the value for Federalizing/Californiaizing but I guess some people do not find that off putting.