Portofino exhaust upgrade | FerrariChat

Portofino exhaust upgrade

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by fanboy01, Sep 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fanboy01

fanboy01 Rookie

Jul 15, 2011
    3 month ago i picked my new Portofino and i'm very much satisfied with it apart from the exhaust note. So i've been searching for upgrade of the exhaust and end up getting Kline downpipes with 200 cell cat, Kline X pipe and Capristo rear section. I have a 991.2 Turbo S with full set of Kline Inconel exhaust which sounds way better than stock makes me a fan of Kline. It sounds even better than stock Portofino.

This Tuesday i got all the parts fitted and i was surprised on how loud the car sounded even on idle with flaps closed. The exhaust note was much more high pitched and probably 2 times louder than stock. But there was a critical problem. It droned like crazy at 2000-3000 rpm made me feel the car is shattering.

So i decided to change the Capristo muffler to stock. The result comes out surprisingly well: Exhaust note not as good as Capristo muffler but still much better than stock; very quiet on low rpm, loud enough on high rpm; almost no drone at all on full rpm range.

The car is much more exciting to drive now and still a good daily driver. I may try the Kline downpipes + stock H pipes + Capristo muffer combination next time and will post feedback.

2. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I had Kline headers, FVD sport exhaust and cat delete on my 991 tts. That was a loud setup, the car even vibrated the ground. I think that was too much and I traded the car that way for my new Cali T HS back in March 2017. The Cali T HS note was really good, it was higher pitched than the Portofino with a fair amount of popping and burbling on overrun. I know the Portofino sounds better than that but it has a lower pitch. I liked the sound on my Cali T HS enough not to mess with it.

On my 488 I have put on the Tubi straight pipe exhaust which basically just eliminates the sound box. Have you had any issues with CEL due to the 200 cell cats or issues with O2 sensors? The good thing about the Tubi is that it uses all the same stock components for the valves as the OEM so the ECU can't tell any difference.

3. fanboy01

fanboy01 Rookie

Jul 15, 2011
    No CEL or any issues now.
    The stock valves' control is the best. Capristo's isn't as smart but it can open the flaps all the time using remote.

uhn2000 and wrs like this.
  4. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
  6. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Indeed it is. It's my car so I'm sure! :)

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Have you considered trying stock cats but x pipe and capristo mufflers?

8. fanboy01

fanboy01 Rookie

Jul 15, 2011
    I may try this setup later. The reason i prefer stock mufflers is the electric controlled valve flaps are far more sensitive than Capristo's vacuum valve. But the ability to keep the flaps open all the time with Capristo's remote is really charming though.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  9. fanboy01

fanboy01 Rookie

Jul 15, 2011
    Very nicely write up. I'm sure this article will help a lot for people who want to mod their exhaust

Gcsdave likes this.
  10. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
  11. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I installed a Capristo E2E controller ($650) and I like it. No more annoying on/off exhaust sound. I have Tubi straight-pipe mufflers ($3920) and a Kline x-pipe ($2300) coming. The Tubi valves use the stock control system,so the E2E should continue to work with these new exhaust parts.

12. Sean@TAG

Sean@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 25, 2015
    We installed the Capristo system as well as the remote kit for a local client of ours recently, and he absolutely loves it!

13. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    The new exhaust parts turned on the check-engine light and the codes showed lean on both banks. My service advisor said to drive it and hope for a computer relearn as it accepts the lower back pressure. I left the mufflers on stock to not reduce back pressure as much and after almost 500 miles everything cleared up. Then I switched to open and the lights came back. I will continue to drive it and hope for more relearn. The exhaust sounds great on either setting. Stock sounds better than open did with the stock parts.

14. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    Hey Walt,

That's quite interesting. Did you get the actual code by chance?

15. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    No. I was there but I didn't ask for the numbers. The tech just told me that both banks showed a bit lean. To make things a bit more complex,that condition first disables the start/stop system and later turns on the check-engine light but without dire warnings (like I got when I unplugged the electrical connectors from the stock mufflers).

16. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    I'm going to assume that the electrical connectors are plugged back in after installing the exhaust?
    I'm speaking to the gents over at Tubi Italy to see what might be the cause so if it does come back on please get the Code so I can help narrow down the issue.

17. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I installed a Capristo E2E controller a while back that I used with the stock mufflers,and that is used now with the Tubis. A freer-flowing exhaust tends to lean the mixture,so it makes sense to me that the ECU needs to adapt-relearn-to get the mixture back to stock.

18. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    Keep me posted!

19. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    After 1300 miles the check-engine light went off and the accompanying electronic craziness ended. 350 miles with no problems,then some WOT fun got things started again. 100 miles later,everything ok. This is with the exhaust on the quieter setting. BMC air filters are coming and the ecu still has to learn to accept the louder setting.

Bottom line: The ecu relearns,albeit slowly. Patience is required.

Tubi Sales likes this.
  20. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    Thank you for that in-depth feedback. I'm glad that it was just a scare and everything worked out.

21. fanboy01

fanboy01 Rookie

Jul 15, 2011
    So your setup is stock cat + Kline x-pipe + Tubi mufflers now? How do you compare the sound with full stock setting? I'm thinking of the same setup as you coz the sport cats i'm currently using turn on the CEL which is rly annoying.

22. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Taka look at my post # 13.

Tubi Sales likes this.
  23. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I had my ECU flashed by VR Tuned. See "California T and Portofino: ECU Tunes?" for results.

24. Phuntoosh

Phuntoosh Rookie

Apr 24, 2020
    Hello everyone. First post for me.

Just wanted you your opinions please.

I have just had Capristo back boxes with valve control and Kline X-pipe installed on my Portofino. Stock cats left in situ.

Although the exhaust note sounds a lot better, the whole car resonates around the 1500-2000rpm range. It is painful to the ears.

Also. I am not hearing much of a high pitched formula 1 type sound (which is what I thought the purpose of an X-pipe is). Does this only occur when in the very high rev range? This is a shame as most of my everyday driving never reaches such high revs as the portofino always wants to shift up gears rapidly. I need to drive in manual mode and stick in gears one or two just to get the revs up. But then it still sounds more of a strained engine sound rather than scream.

Just wanted to know if anyone has experienced similar issues? Could the x pipe be the source of the drone? Or is it an inherent quality of the Capristo back boxes? Reading on some of the forums, I understand that the stock H-pipe has an anti-resonance filter whereas the X-pipe has nothing?

Any advice would be appreciated. I am a novice when it comes to exhaust upgrade options Thanks.

25. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I have a Kline x-pipe and Tubi mufflers on my Portofino,and I haven't encountered that problem. Does it make a difference if you are in stock exhaust mode or open?