Who should replace Vettel? | Page 18 | FerrariChat

Who should replace Vettel?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Flavio_C, Jul 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Who should replace Vettel?

1. Alonso

2. Rosberg

3. Button

4. Barrichello

5. Other (please mention)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Relax, Max has been the best driver this past year. Deserves more credit than that.

2. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/145965/montoya-vettel-needs-better-car-not-mentality

Sebastian Vettel's troubles this year are more likely to be a "technical" problem than an issue with the four-time Formula 1 world champion's mentality, reckons Juan Pablo Montoya.

Vettel is on a barren streak in F1 and is without a win since the 2018 Belgian Grand Prix, while his new Ferrari team-mate Charles Leclerc has now won back-to-back races in Belgium and Italy.

Leclerc's victory in Ferrari's home race triggered raucous celebrations at Monza, where Vettel spun out of fourth early on and edged himself close to a race ban for rejoining the track in a "dangerous" way.

The mistake was the latest in a run of errors from Vettel stretching back to his crash from the lead of the 2018 German GP, but seven-time F1 race winner Montoya believes the blame may not lie with Vettel.

"I think he doesn't like something in the car or this year's tyres and Leclerc is able to better adapt," Montoya told Autosport.

"Vettel has to suffer to go as quick as the other guy. Because he has to suffer and he is not comfortable, he makes mistakes.

"When you're not happy with the car and you push, mistakes happen.

"I don't think it's a mental thing. It is more a technical one.

"It's about understanding, having someone on your side who's able to find what's going on."

Leclerc has generally found Ferrari's SF90 more compliant, whereas Vettel has often complained this year of not having the right balance in his car.

Montoya compared the situation with his two-year spell with McLaren in 2005 and '06, when different driving characteristics even led the team to develop a different front suspension for his car in order to better suit his style.

He said he "had to change they way I braked the car and it started doing very different things to what I was used to", and suspects it might be more effective for something fundamental to change on the car than for Vettel to attempt to adapt around his issues.

"Changing they way you drive is very complicated," said Montoya.

"If you change the way you drive the car you can still be quick, but probably not as quick as you used to be.

"He will have to adapt to a certain extent, but learning to be quick in a different way is very difficult.

"It's better to adapt the car to your driving than your style to someone else's."

stavura, daytona355 and 375+ like this.
  4. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    JPM sounds like Ty Webb.

DF1 likes this.
  5. DF1

I have sympathy for Seb. His situation mirrors the one he endured with Ricci. He did not like the car and never adapted.

Ferrari will never make a perfect car and a driver to be effective over a range of variance must adapt.

Charles is also very fast and this cannot be ignored as well

6. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    He ratted them out when it was convenient and beneficial to him. Not because he has some high moral code.

Let’s not forget Renault either.

So since you have the inside information, what did he contribute to Ferrari to help them develop a winning car?

ATBNM3 and william like this.
  7. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    When it suited him? I think the vast majority of people who rely upon high salaries and want to protect their their ability to work in the future would chose, seeing the writing on the wall for the company, prefer to distance themselves from trouble, possibly prosecution, it’s a trait the police use to unravel organised crime no less.

As for insider information, Alonso had a reputation for providing excellent feedback on the car, whether it be during a test, practice or even a race, his knowledge of the cars engineering was more than many, less than some, but he understood the conditions under which he would be able to exploit the car and guide techs accordingly. He wasn’t designing the track rods, nor the cylinders though mate, if that’s what you are expecting.

With any driver, the quality of the feedback can be key to keeping/making a car competitive, so Alonso was valuable, but what you seem to miss is that harmony among the engineers breeds confidence, and Alonso was able to create a level of expectation and confidence that made the ferrari garage a great place to be. Ultimately, the cars we designed were not up to the challenge, but remember, in Alonsos hands, two of those ‘donkeys’ almost won the world championship but for stupid strategy decisions (thanks Stefano, and we still haven’t sacked them by the looks of things). Feedback can only go so far, and of course, drivers all have their own individual style, and with Alonso, it is extremely fine tuned, so a bad car will always be a bad car, but the likes of Michael, Alonso, and very few others have the ability to positively influence those cars and drag them to places they should not be capable of achieving. This is why Elton is not respected here, he does not provide the best feedback, nor is he willing to test unless absolutely compelled (I refer you to niki lauda, who on occasion alluded to his lack of interest between races) therefore when the car is good, so is Elton, when the car isn’t, while Schumi or Alonso would be assisting in fine tuning, Elton spends his time whining on the radio about the problem, not the solutions, and sulks in his room or even unleashes criticism of the teams attempts to adjust the car

8. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    He didn’t seem to mind the benefits of using the stolen Ferrari info at McLaren while it suited him, then flipped when convenient. It just seems awfully interesting that two of the biggest scandals (Crashgate and Spygate) he just happened to be involved in both.

Again, if he’s so great and such a positive team builder, why doesn’t he have a drive? Facts show nobody wants to deal with him. It’s been said multiple times in the industry he also brings chaos wherever he goes, even if he’s also bringing what you said above.

His driving skill is outstanding. I won’t deny that.

9. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Twice in his career Alonso threw his team under the bus.
    He willingly acted as "prosecution witness" to be exonerated when he fact he benefited from the deeds.
    His "cooperation" with both enquiries was pivotal to the condemnation of 2 team principals.

During his time at Ferrari, he intrigued constantly and had essential technical staff fired.
    Back at McLaren, he demotivated completely the team by his antics, and engineered the costly divorce with Honda.

Alonso is a liability, not an asset.

I'm 360 Canuck and ATBNM3 like this.
  10. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Flavio_C, kandi, ATBNM3 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Cenzoooo

Cenzoooo Karting

Jul 20, 2004
    Queens, NY
    Full Name:
    Vincent L
    There is a lot of talk about Ricciardo not wanting to play number 2 again, but I think he is flexible. Sure he left Red Bull because he felt like was was "the teammate", but he left to go to a midpack and took a paycheck. Ferrari has deep pockets and, oh yea, Pizza Pizza Pizza! Daniel also has a smooth driving style that I think would suit the car well.

jmillard308 and william like this.
  12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I can understand Toto's thinking: As long as Vettel is at the Scuderia, Ferrari is less of a problem for Mercedes !!! LOL

Agent Smith and ATBNM3 like this.
  13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I think Ricciardo could work alongside Leclerc at the Scuderia without much problem.
    He is adaptable enough and neither of them has an attitude problem.
    What got up at Ricciardo's nose at Red Bull was the obvious favouritism towards Verstappen.

jmillard308 and ATBNM3 like this.
  14. DF1

Without titles he has no ride. Objective analysis yields time to leave. 3 years of major mistakes consistently. Toto is being polite. They would never hire Vettel. He is old news and outclassed now.

william likes this.
  15. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

He did not have anyone fired at all until he picked out the wankers, who we all knew were wankers anyway, in the final year.

As for ‘no problem using the stolen information’, why should he not take advantage, the team made the decision to cheat, he went along with it. When they ****ed him over, he ****ed them over....so what? An eye for an eye.

As for a drive, McLaren tied him up into a role even in retirement to stop him going to another team. Wonder why? Cos they are ****ing terrified of him, that’s why. They know he’s the best driver there, and they don’t want to see him succeed while they continue to fail

sammysaber likes this.
  16. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Yeah, you're probably right about McLaren being terrified of him. Most teams are actually. But not for the reason that you think. It's because of all the baggage he brings with him. Who wants to deal with that?

william likes this.
  17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Zak Brown cleverly neutralised Alonso with the Indy business.

Agent Smith likes this.
  18. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I prefer to measure the guy by his on track performances when given a half decent car, he elevates them to levels they shouldn’t be such as the 2010 and 2012 donkeys we gave him

Who he upsets and what teams he has ratted out for cheating don’t concern me.

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

kandi and DF1 like this.
  19. DF1

Domenicali had no issues with FA at all. Publicly stated!!

375+ and daytona355 like this.
  20. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    Also re Alonso not being able to get a seat - let's take a look at Hamilton and say that hypothetically Mercedes decided to leave F1 next year and he had to get another ride. Ferrari already have Leclerc, and RB have Verstappen so doors are shut there. Even Renault are already paying a huge sum for Ricci so not there either. And that's being a 6 time WDC this year.

Obviously prospects are much worse for Vettel.

Seems pretty cut throat these days .

But I do think that we would have picked up a WDC in the last couple of years if we had Alonso instead of Vettel, so by that logic he'd have been the perfect Vettel replacement albeit 2 years ago. I'd love it if he were to replace Vettel next year for the sake of the team.

Best,
    Sammy

DF1 and daytona355 like this.
  21. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Ferrari and Red Bull would have a bidding war to get Hamilton in their car...

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  22. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Hahahahaha. Course they would......... hahahahaha. To clean it maybe, but not to drive it, they have their stars of the future, and red bull don’t pay the wages Elton thinks he is worth

No, retirement would loom for the chump

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

23. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Yeah sure... Hamilton on top of his craft has no equal and he's on top of his game unlike Vettel or Alonso.

ktu likes this.
  24. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

Hahahahaha, until he has the slightest problem, and he radioes in asking for his mummy....... sure do give me a good laugh reading your posts.

fil and stavura like this.