QV Front Grill Euro vs US | FerrariChat

QV Front Grill Euro vs US

Discussion in '308/328' started by miketuason, Sep 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Here’s the difference between the US and the Euro QV front grill. Question is will the Euro QV grill (Silver) fit the US? Seems like the US QV has a smaller opening than the Euro car or is it just an illusion because of the black grill and the fatter US bumper?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosey and mcimino like this.
  2. Bobbytinvab

Bobbytinvab Karting

Jan 22, 2010
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Full Name:
    Bob T
    Yes the euro grill fits in the opening on the US car. To ensure complete transparency, I have the deep lower valance on my car, but don't think that matters. I also changed my bumper to the euro one as well in order to be able to see the grill. I like the euro look and am happy that I changed it years ago.

mcimino and miketuason like this.
  3. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Excellent Bob thank you for that. I will then do the same thing as you.
    By the way how did you attach the Euro bumper to the US bumper shock?

4. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Bob, did you also add the two driving lamp next to the grill or did your grill go all the way across?

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    None are available.

Anywhere

6. jim rosenthal

jim rosenthal Karting

Sep 10, 2006
    Is there another rectangular driving lamp that is the same size as the ones that came in the Euro cars, the ones that had the flash-to-pass lamps at the lateral ends of the grille? There are some NOS 288 lamps on eBay, I htink, but they look larger and squarer.

7. Bobbytinvab

Bobbytinvab Karting

Jan 22, 2010
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Full Name:
    Bob T
    Mike to try and answer both your questions:

Bumper mounting: A PIB ... as stated by many others the mounting bracket for the euro and us are different. I bought a fiberglass bumper from Rennspeed (eBay if I remember correctly) and modified some small square tubing to fit behind the bumper. I drilled the tubing to allow me add "mounting studs" (bolts) in the correct us locations. Doing that I now had a way to mount the tubing to the car. I then drilled holes in the tubing to mount it to the fiberglass bumper. With the tubing attached to the bumper, I was able to then use the studs to mount it to the car. The tubing added a little rigidity to the bumper and there is no interference with bolt heads etc. I hope that makes sense. OBTW I only have one bolt per side to hold the bumper on, but it is very secure. I saw in another thread where someone had made a bracket mod, if I had seen that before I would have copied that or bought them.

Grill: I used the shorter grill with the driving lamps. I got the grill from another Fchatter that produced them from aluminum stock (forgive me for I don't remember who that was now). I made my own mounting brackets for the lamps. The correct euro lamps (Cibie Airports) are hard to find (I see Doc says the are not avail ... I'm not surprised). The euro car's lenses are clear, not prismatic, since they are "flash to pass" and not driving lights. I wanted driving lights and I was able to find Cibie's that are the correct size and to me look just fine. Grill mounting is different from the us version, but you'll be able to figure that out.

hope this helps ... Bob

Image Unavailable, Please Login

308 milano and miketuason like this.
  8. Bobbytinvab

Bobbytinvab Karting

Jan 22, 2010
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Full Name:
    Bob T
    Mike one thing I noted is you asked about the bumper shock. I removed the "shocks" from the front. The euro bumper is not "deep" enough to fill the gap on the top and sides. It is way more recessed into the body.

miketuason likes this.
  9. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Thank you so much for answering my question Bob! I saw some Cibie 35 Airport on eBay and thinking about getting a pair if I decided to go that route. I I I don’t know who this belongs to but the picture shows another way to mount the Euro bumper you can clearly see the bolts can be slide to fit the bumper shock. Is this similar to yours?

10. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Yes the Cibie Airports are rare. I got mine, about 6 years ago, brand new from Daniel Stern Lighting.

11. Bobbytinvab

Bobbytinvab Karting

Jan 22, 2010
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Full Name:
    Bob T
    Mike ... that is actually easier than what I did, but similar concept. Hopefully the person who did that will see the pix and chime in. Glad you found some "airports" ... nice and good luck. I look forward to seeing your finished product

miketuason likes this.
  12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I'm in the hunt for a euro style grill.

Fingers crossed

13. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Question is, what looks better the white or the amber Cibie Airport?

14. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    White.

miketuason and 308 milano like this.
  15. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Had the grill out of my Euro a few years ago when doing some cleaning. Wouldn’t think it would be very hard to replicate these grills? Some aluminum stock, bandsaw with a metal blade and a Heliarc welder, go into production! Would actually enjoy trying to build a few of these if my schedule wasn’t so hectic. Spend very little time at home as it is. Seems like it would be a very fun project

16. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Put me first on your list of customers if you crank up the project, please.

308 milano likes this.
  17. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    More I think about this the more it sounds like a fun project . Have the shop and most everything necessary. Just so short on time. Will be home five days this time so Might just have to pull that grill and look it over again. Seriously nothing complicated about it except the horizontal slats have notches in them to pick up the vertical slats and then just a spot weld. Also remember structure having a very slight arc. Can’t promise anything as the underground lawn sprinkler system takes precedence .

18. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    308 milano likes this.
  19. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Sweet! There you go guys! $690 US

20. Bobbytinvab

Bobbytinvab Karting

Jan 22, 2010
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Full Name:
    Bob T
    That is a nice grille ... it even has the "Horsey" mounting attaching points on it. The one I found required me to make a bracket for the Cavalino.

21. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
  22. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
  23. Tony Baunach

Tony Baunach Karting
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2007
    All around the world
    I have an Original 308 Euro front grill left if anybody is still searching OEM...
    enjoy driving the 328 instead now ;)

24. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
  25. onboost

onboost Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    DC Metro area
    Resurrecting this old thread - Does anyone know of a source for the Euro 308 grill? Seems the Enzotech link no-worky..
    Is there another source or does someone have one they won't use? Euro bumper - is Rennspeed the only source?

Thx

miketuason likes this.