Transmission problem, any suggestions. | FerrariChat

Transmission problem, any suggestions.

Discussion in '308/328' started by nugget, Mar 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nugget

nugget Karting

Jan 4, 2004
    I have an 89 328 with 21k miles. I am a very easy driver. The transmission for the last few months has gotten progressively worse, the clutch pedal still has smooth travel and pressure. I can get in 1st and reverse no problem. Now it sometimes doesn't want to go into 3rd. It feels like something is lose and sometimes blocks it getting into gear. If I wiggle the shifter it will eventually go in. Same thing happens to other gears. What's weird is a few minutes later it will go into 3rd smooth as can be, then a few minutes later it's tough again. Occasionally I will come to a stop at a light and try and get it out of 1st and it won't let me, I have to force it out of gear. Then I drive it a couple weeks later and it comes out of first no problem. Bottom line is it's erratic on getting it into and out of the gears.

What are the possible things that could be causing this? Thanks for your help. Glen

2. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    shifter shaft alignment problem.
    do a search for a tutorial.
    not a bad job just time consuming.

mwr4440 likes this.
  3. Prost 3.2

Prost 3.2 Rookie

Sep 9, 2015
    Hi nugget,
    have the same issue, most of the times, I can´t get out of the fifth gear, and if so, I have to push hard!

I wonder how you solfed your problem???!!!

4. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    I have had a similar issue. I lifted the 328 removd the gearbox oil and removed the gearbox sump giving full access to the gear shifter arrangement and adjusted the fork for 2nd and 3rd just a very little. It might well be that the bolt securing the fork is loose so it needs readjusted and fixed. You need to man for the job, one in the drivers seat to shift and one below the car to adjust the fork.

5. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
  6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Before when I was at a strip mall parking lot, I couldn’t shift to reverse but will go in to 1st. Looked underneath and found that the bolt #32 (from above pic) was about to fall out because the nut for it came off, after I put new nut, everything was back to normal so, you might want to check that bolt too and I you can see from Clyde’s diagram, there are two of them.

7. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Having similar issues with my 3.2 Mondial. Noticed that the shifter didn't seem to go all the back in it's it's if you will. Yet it worked fine. Later it refused to go into 5th. Could this also be related to the shift shaft seal?

8. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Ok, so found a small black trim screw had fallen in the gated shifter closest to where 5th gear would go. Needle nose pliers to the rescue. Funny looking up at all the similar screws are accounted for.

miketuason likes this.