Vehicle cargo ship overturned outside Georgia | FerrariChat

Vehicle cargo ship overturned outside Georgia

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by BMW.SauberF1Team, Sep 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  2. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Let's worry about the people still on board before we worry about just cars....

Did it run aground, then tip or vice versa? Do you know?

3. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    It doesn't look heavy which is probably the issue. An empty cargo ship has to be ballasted with sea water to sail. Either that or it will roll over on its side. I understand the crew is safe. If they get some knowledgeable people on board.....they should be able to right the ship if the deck hatches are secure.

4. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Looks like 4 still missing/onboard........
    Somebody asleep at the switch re ballasting pumps & valves.....?

INRange likes this.
  5. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Yep 4 still missing as of this afternoon, quote:

"Once salvage professionals have determined the vessel to be stable, we will identify the best option to continue our rescue efforts for the four crew remembers who remain on board," Reed said at a Sunday afternoon news conference...
    They don't know if the fire is out, yet.

There was a Pilot onboard (rescued) so it probably did not run aground. before it tipped. Balasting????

Prolly full of Kias...

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Yes, having four still missing has the upmost importance and I wish them well and hope they are found alive and in good condition. My apologies as my post can come off as insincere. I usually read threads with accidents as the missing with priority #1 as implied if not stated and don't think anyone would value a car more (likely a Kia as you mention or some other mass produced disposable car). I thought about editing my post right after given the headline, but didn't and that's my mistake and I regret it.

7. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C