What's with Tesla drivers? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What's with Tesla drivers?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JimEakin, Sep 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Cut them some slack.....must be tough having to drive a vacuum cleaner.

I had my Hoover out last weekend and it was pretty miserable.....makes me want to go back to driving a microwave.

2. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I see a lot of the fugly model 3’s out there, definitely noticed almost all of them floor it from lights and stop signs....

3. 458 Spider 0414

458 Spider 0414 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
    ike
    Same happened to me a few days ago. Telsa pulls up next to my 458 Spider. When the light breaks the Telsa takes off like a space shuttle.... I just laughed..

Ray,

anunakki likes this.
  4. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    haha! I try to be a good Ferrari Ambassador most of the time because I don't want to perpetuate the stereotype that all Ferrari owners are ass holes.

G. Pepper likes this.
  5. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

Understood but my ******* cap is sitting on the passenger seat whenever the situation warrants it :) Usually reserved for stupid Tesla drivers.

6. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

When I drive my Ferrari, three things are in my mind:

1. My car is worth more than their annual wage.

2. My car is probably worth more than their life insurance policy.

3. Whatever they are driving, it's not a Ferrari.

So, if they need to let off a little steam (and not endanger anybody), then I say back off.

Ain't nobody lining up to buy Tesla T-shirts, coffee mugs...........

7. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Just got a chance to drive my cousin's Model 3 last weekend. She is not a car person, but professes to enjoy romping on the thing regularly. The acceleration is really the only notable sensation when driving (no great exhaust note to enjoy). It was fun to try out...and the car was well put together. Handled and rode well. I could see owning a used version of the big Tesla - if was going to have a dozen or more cars (number of cars is the subject of another thread that is currently running).

8. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I've actually never had a problem with a Tesla driver in any of my Ferraris. I think they are cool for what they are, and I've given them a thumb up a couple of times.

An Accord can destroy my 308, but nobody has anything to prove in any Ferrari, so I just let the Green Light Grand Prix guys go, and laugh.

I must admit to pulling up beside a Prius with all the woke bumper stickers once in my red 456M. I let him have it when the light turned green. :)

REMIX and daytona355 like this.
  9. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I think Gary hit the nail on the head with his comment, ‘there ain’t nobody lining up to buy Tesla T-shirt’s etc’. Tesla’s are an appliance, an appliance that gets to place to place with minimal fuss, no noise, one day no involvement, but they are not the toy a Ferrari is. A ferrari is designed to be fast, yes, but it is rarely designed to be the absolute quickest on the road, they are designed to be fast and handle well, to give you a smile when driving it, but also when gazing upon her lines when sat in your driveway or garage. A Tesla won’t replace a Ferrari, it would compliment one. Horses for courses chaps. Some of us will always want the Ferrari experience, some of us will want to put the boring miles onto a Tesla (or Mercedes etc), and some can’t afford a Ferrari anyway and may well take a bit more enjoyment than most from smoking a ferrari to 60 off the lights in their toaster oven!

G. Pepper likes this.
  10. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    It happens. However their smile always fades when you push past 130 mph. 100% of the time.

11. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

I'm kind of shocked by how much new Model S prices have come down. A few years back, a loaded P85D was $160k, today a loaded P100D goes out the door for $115k, and it's a way better car from a tech standpoint than its predecessor. That is a real bargain for something with that much performance.

People forget what the real benefit of having one of these cars is - never, ever having to visit a gas station. To me that's the real attraction. I'd consider part of Tesla ownership to be akin to having a gas station right there at home. The downside is lack of things like Apple CarPlay which I use constantly in my car, particularly for Waze, I really don't think I could give that up.

Another interesting aspect, when over the air firmware updates are pushed to these cars, they sometimes result in upgraded performance, new features or updates to the autopilot system. And it's all free.

If I were in the market for a sedan in the $110k-$120k range, it would be a tough choice for me between a P100D, a used S63 or an older (2012-ish) RR Ghost.

anunakki, daytona355 and G. Pepper like this.
  12. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    I am still shocked by the rude/callous/aggressive behavior I see everyday while driving and it is vehicle/brand agnostic. I don't care what you drive but be decent and kind to other people.

Ak Jim, VPX, stavura and 4 others like this.
  13. LP360

LP360 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I see loads of Tesla's about lately. Never had one try race me in my 360 but I guess its only a matter of time and I'll just sit back and let them go, I don't encourage it. Like others have said, us in the Ferrari's have nothing to prove... :cool:

On rare occasions anyone who brags their new car is faster than mine I say fair play but you're comparing 20 years stock technology and if I wanted a straight line fast car I would of brought a car that does just that... Normally shuts them up ;)

14. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Hint: carry a balloon filled with paint in easy reach of driver.

Texasrecurve likes this.
  15. REMIX

There's always at least one ass hole every single day who is driving 30+ mph faster than everyone else, weaving in and of traffic. Usually in some POS car likely uninsured. Here in Jacksonville, that is typically either a Nissan or Audi product.

16. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

Errrrmmmmm, that's usually me around here, but it’s a Ferrari or an SVR, never a Nisan or Audi! Hahahaha :)

VPX and REMIX like this.
  17. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT

Really? This is what’s in your mind when driving your Ferrari, not how awesome your car is, how much like it, how awesome life is???

Wikdstrate, JAM1 and anunakki like this.
  18. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Im with you. I think using ones personal wealth as a metric is just as immature as the Tesla driver trying to race.

Qavion and 458 Spider 0414 like this.
  19. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

Not my intent at all. Just my thoughts for those who feel they need to "teach me something".

I share my car every opportunity. If someone askes about visibility, etc, they are more than welcome to sit inside to experience.

As for driving the car, I've put on 2800 km in the last two months. The only problem is that I can't hear the full voice of the engine as it sits behind me.

daytona355 likes this.
  20. REMIX

It probably wasn't, but that did sound really conceited.

21. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Loads of Teslas in the Phoenix- Scottsdale area of Arizona. Never had a problem with any of them acting stupid.
    Now millennials driving 10 year old BMW's..... that's a different story.

22. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

When I'm out in the 599, I don't worry about these people who want to prove something to themselves. I love my car and I'm not going to be antagonized by anyone driving any other car. Nothing else is a Ferrari.

23. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Unfortunately, this is exactly what I see, and why I have a low opinion of people in general. How you treat people anonymously (i.e. when driving a car, social media, etc.) to me says a lot about who you really are as a person. Its much easier to pretend to be a good and nice person when social mores require it in a face to face encounter. Much more difficult and, in my opinion, real when in an anonymous encounter.

Unfortunately I have found the "people are generally good" saying to be generally B.S.

Just my $0.02. I know this isn't the best way to go through life, but everyone is colored by their life experiences.

Kevin

24. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    :p:D

daytona355 likes this.
  25. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant