SPEEDOMETER/ODOMETER Accuracy | FerrariChat

SPEEDOMETER/ODOMETER Accuracy

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by arkferrari, Sep 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arkferrari

arkferrari Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2004
    Hot Springs, AR
    Full Name:
    B.F. Mitchell
    When I purchased my 1999 456M GTA, the original wheels had been replaced with 19" front and 20" rear. Does the speedometer and odometer "electronically" recalibrate to read accurately? If not, what discrepancies are there?

2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Very unlikely, I should have thought. Try checking the speedo against a GPS readout from a satnav / satnav program on your smartphone.

pilotoCS likes this.
  3. arkferrari

arkferrari Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2004
    Hot Springs, AR
    Full Name:
    B.F. Mitchell
    Any other options?

4. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Yes. I'm impressed with the accuracy on these mobile devices once again.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Try calculating or looking up the diameter of the original 17" wheels and tires and comparing with the diameter of the 20" wheels and tires. Direct ratio of what happens to your speedometer and odometer. As far as I know, there is no such thing as an auto correcting speedo/odo and certainly not on a 1999 Ferrari.

F456M and someguy like this.
  6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #6 Qavion, Sep 7, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    Just expanding on what Terry has said. The 456's speed is taken from left rear wheel, so the diameter of the new rear wheel is the key. Check your handbook for original tire specs., but the Workshop Manual for the 456M shows a 17" rim with a "285/40" tire. That gives an outside tire diameter of approximately 26 inches.

This is using a formula (285 x 40/1270) plus 17

Or just use this rough online calculator:

https://tiresize.com/height-calculator/

What numbers do your new tires have? Your new tires may have the same outside diameter (i.e. bigger wheel rims, but lower profile tires), so the readout will be the same.

If the rims are 20" and the new tires are, say, 285/30, this gives an outside tire diameter of approximately 26.73 inches. i.e. 0.73 inches bigger. This will introduce a speed error factor of 26.73/26 inches = 1.028 times or about plus 2.8%. Since Ferrari speedos normally underread, your speedo will be closer to true speed.

Divide new diameter by old diameter (26") to get the error factor.

Let us know if you have problems with the calculations

7. arkferrari

arkferrari Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2004
    Hot Springs, AR
    Full Name:
    B.F. Mitchell
    Thanks; will do the math!

8. arkferrari

arkferrari Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2004
    Hot Springs, AR
    Full Name:
    B.F. Mitchell
    GPS results: Speedometer accurate at speeds under 60 mph; Actual speed 5 mph greater than speedo reading over 60 mph. Only tested to speedo reading at 85 mph.

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sounds like you are slightly oversize. The inaccuracy is absorbed by speedometer calibration at lower speeds. Your new rear tires may indeed be 285/30. Perhaps Michelin Pilot Super Sport 285/30ZR20?

10. arkferrari

arkferrari Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2004
    Hot Springs, AR
    Full Name:
    B.F. Mitchell
    305/35R/20 Firehawks

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You have rear tires which are way bigger in diameter than OEM 305/30 19 tires, so naturally the speedometer would be way off. 305/35 20 tires are 28.4" in diameter and OEM tires are 26.2" in diameter. That is an 8.4% difference. Unless you have larger tires on front to make up for it, I am surprised you do not have ABS issues. Anything over ~5% difference front to rear diameters from OEM (pretty much the same diameter F&R for 456s and Maranellos) can give ABS problems.

Qavion likes this.