456 Door Gaskets | FerrariChat

456 Door Gaskets

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by KeithS, Apr 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KeithS

KeithS Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2008
    Paradise Valley, AZ
    Full Name:
    Keith Stephens
    The door/window gaskets are different between the 456 and 456M. Can the 456 gasket be made to work on the M and will it seal the window? Thanks.
    Keith

2. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Can you not get an ‘M’ gasket? I’ve just replaced the drivers side gasket on the 456 and it seals perfectly. The major advantage is the cushioning of the door as it closes. It sounds much better when it shuts now. The window sealing problem is the electric window problem.
    Do you have a gap between the glass and the rubber?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. KeithS

KeithS Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2008
    Paradise Valley, AZ
    Full Name:
    Keith Stephens
    My gaskets are split on the rear edge top to bottom of the window. Several years ago, for a fix I had them covered in upholstry cloth. This looked and worked fine. The window pins have been repaired and the window sealed reasonably well. But with the recent body and interior work the gaskets were recovered. They look great but the seal is not good. It is time to replace them. I have been able to locate 456 gaskets but "M" style seem to be unavailable.

There are slight differences in the gaskets and door detail, but the door opening and frame are the same. So my question... can the 456 gasket be made to work on the M and will it seal the window?

Keith

4. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    You’ll find one at Eurospares.UK.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Keith- I would get the F1 Imports fix done on the windows first and then replace the door gaskets if you still need them. Just the gasket is not going to fix a window gap problem.

http://f1imports.com/specialties

6. KeithS

KeithS Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2008
    Paradise Valley, AZ
    Full Name:
    Keith Stephens
    Yes, the gaskets are listed online but they do not have them.

This has been done.

Thanks ffor the replies. All help appreciated.
    Keith

7. Phillip B

Phillip B Rookie

Sep 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Phillip Benton
    Hi, I have been looking for a 456M Drivers Side door gasket now for 3 years. We have tried everyone - no availability. We tried Ferrari and they said they will not manufacture anymore until demand rises. Is there anyone out there that can either make a new gasket or modify a gasket from another model to fit a 456M?

8. arkferrari

arkferrari Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2004
    Hot Springs, AR
    Full Name:
    B.F. Mitchell
    Lubbock Gasket and Supply was able to fabricate an "unavailable" transmission gasket for me after an exhaustive search. I found them very easy to work with and the gasket they produced was top quality. Contact them and see if they can help. You will probably need to provide them a template.

9. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    The gasket does not fix the gap problem. It will always be there - more or less - even after adjusting the window. A new gasket is expensive. Mine was split and I repaired it with a special Locktite glue.

10. Phillip B

Phillip B Rookie

Sep 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Phillip Benton
    Thanks, let me try them

11. AUSWOODS

AUSWOODS Rookie

May 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Woods
    Has anyone had any luck with Gaskets fir 456 m. Mine are tired and in spite of bulking them out with various bits of tubing still not sealing when going 100kmh +

12. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Got mine from Eurospares..

13. AUSWOODS

AUSWOODS Rookie

May 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Woods
    Was hoping to find a lot better than £1826 each.

14. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Check Reoriginals in Houston TX. Used them years ago for 308 door/engine lid gaskets.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Whoa! I’m glad I got mine (456GT) when they were ca. £350 GBP each (+VAT & shipping) as I thought that was expensive, never mind the two weeks of work it took to install them as the ceiing had to be removed and of course while you’re there, every piece of leather cleaned and serviced. :)

Cheers!

16. AUSWOODS

AUSWOODS Rookie

May 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Woods
    Thanks for all the replies still no luck - Does anyone have a photo or drawing of the profile maybe I can find a way of matching ?

17. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    The seal is one continuous loop, all around the door opening, with every section of that opening having a different rubber profile with cast pieces in between in some places. These are all glued together to form a loop.
    Most fragile is the upper aft corner, where a steel strip is inserted in the rubber to hold the window at high speed. This is where mine are worn, to the extend of the steel coming out of the rubber.

I've been messing with these rubbers for a week now (evening jobs), but still not satisfied. I had them out for a paint job and, while at it, might as well repair the rubber and try to get a perfect fit.

18. AUSWOODS

AUSWOODS Rookie

May 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Woods
    Thanks yes my corners and inset bespoke bits ok. Was thinking if I could find profile of main lengths I could reuse corners and bespoke bits but replace old with new on the rest

19. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    apart from the bottom half the profiles are quite complicated. I wouldn't know any generic profile that would fit. Actually wouldn't at all be surprised if Ferrari had these profiles made specifically for this model.

20. TimS

TimS Rookie

Aug 23, 2020
    Full Name:
    Tim Shearman
    Just posting in the, probably vain, hope that someone knows of somewhere with a left hand 456M door seal - the current one is in bits so the car is unusable, they’re still unavailable from Ferrari and Eurospares don’t have any used ones for the “M” either. Many thanks!​

21. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Ferrari has nothing to do with parts for that age of car. That was handed over to Maranello Classic parts years ago. I'd get in touch with them directly and see how many sets would need to be on order to get them to make some more.

22. TimS

TimS Rookie

Aug 23, 2020
    Full Name:
    Tim Shearman
    Thank you. I’ve already contacted them and they said they’d see if their procurement people could help - I’ll ask that question next, Many thanks