Ferrari F8 Tributo | Page 104 | FerrariChat

Ferrari F8 Tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Hot tube aside it is a tall challenge to overcome much smaller disc placement and twin turbos which are running at capacity

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I'm sure it will drive well and still sound relatively fine outside even though it is very quiet and subdued for this type of car.

PS. Ferrari must have seen these unresolved ostentation issues hence why they extended the sound further on the inside to try and offset all the loss on the outside. I mean if exterior sound is purely about ostentation then the electric car would be a superior alternative for many - just play a music file of an engine running through the speakers while the electric motor whines away on the outside?

3. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Any chance it was because the 458 was leaps and bounds better than the 430 ? I recall

MalibuGuy and Caeruleus11 like this.
  4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Ferrari has already patented a 4 cylinder with electric turbo

MalibuGuy likes this.
  5. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    There is actually a Hollywood movie about two guys who have a start-up business that uses speakers to re-create the sound and vibration of classic American muscle cars

Vince Vaughn stars I the flick

6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Im in agreement the 488 sounds great :) Im really happy with her.

Petrol engines run hotter than Diesel engines but ultimately for the GPF to work properly the car needs to be driven

Wonder whats going to happen with the cars in the USA ?

With the F8 no hurry at all. Love my 488. Ill wait until the demo car comes in and then make a decision what to do.

For me the F8 will be the last. No chance ill be wanting an electric Ferrari no matter how great.

The hot tube as they call it has been done for many years on other cars, gee even the Toyota 86 has it. Sound good inside but absolutely no sound outside.

sampelligrino and dmark1 like this.
  7. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Yes and I can see that really being a reality

dmark1 likes this.
  8. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’d way rather the F8 deliver in performance and looks while letting down on sound outside the cabin. Seems like that’s what we have here. I just love the look of the car.

Coincid and Lesia44 like this.
  9. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    FIFY.

10. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Makes sense. There are always trade offs...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    fair enough, everything I remember from the time was positive "the 430 moved the game on" then "the 458 moved it on even further" to "meh, the brakes are better but it's not as big of a leap as previous and it sounds worse" to the 488.

back then I didn't read as much on the internet on forums etc though

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    the cs is just so nuts, I'd feel embarassed at times with the noise as it draws so much attention!

knocker likes this.
  13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Sometimes its more one way than the other, but I've come to see there are always passionate opinions on both sides. The only thing I've found that works is to look back with the benefit of time and experience and then you can decide how great a car is.

On the F8, I've had many of these cars including 488, 458, 430, Pista, and if the F8 is kind of a half way point between the excellent 488 and Pista, then I think there are going to be many many many happy owners. We can already see it is a beautiful car. I've seen it up close several times now. Btw- the Pista is a huge leap over the GTB in every department- as it should be.

bwshihtzu and Gh21631 like this.
  14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Now this is what we call a positively glowing review.

Engine music has been part of the Ferrari DNA. The quietness of the F8 is one of this models defining features—something which makes the car unique compared with its older brothers.

Ostentation misses the point. If we mean that ostentation is undesirable, then we shouldn’t buy an expensive car, one whose looks attract attention unnecessarily, or choose bright and shiny colors, and personalize the car with fender badges, carbon fiber trim, shift lights etc. I think if you buy an exotic sports car, ostentation is part of the deal.

In the past, many owners searched for ways to enhance engine music. Ostentation be damned.
    Interestingly enough, I rarely saw threads about how to make the cars more quiet.

15. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Huh? The CS looks like a Camaro?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

jumpinjohn likes this.
  16. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    yes, just like how Monica Bellucci looks like Rosie ODonnell

Avia11 likes this.
  17. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The standard snooty exotic car guy response to downgrade a car is “________ looks like a Camaro”

Ash Patel likes this.
  18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Ash Patel and Dicecal like this.
  19. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    NA is over, ICE will be over before too long. The F8 is the last/best ICE Ferrari, and the engine is marvelous! Do I wish it sounded like a NA car? Sure, but thats not happening with twin turbos and stricter emissions standards. Looks are always subjective, and personally I think it looks great. I’ve seen/read nothing that will make me not go forward with my order, looking forward to delivery!

MANDALAY likes this.
  20. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    To provide some perspective on the sound of the F8, I was in Italy this week for the 812 Spyder showing. The next day I was at the factory and saw 3 F8's driving around town together (all 3 TDF) the sound was extremely muted compared to the 488 etc.

A short time later there were 2 Monza's leaving the entrance (look amazing and sounded amazing) followed by a F8 and then a 812. It was if only 3 cars left the entrance. The F8 is missing the Ferrari sound.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  21. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I was driving a Camaro the other day and someone asked which model Ferrari it was?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    F8 will be an interesting case study in Ferrari’s new business direction as a public company. There’s a chance it will depreciate 15% annually depending on mileage and be a low 200’s car in 3 years. I’ll be curious to see how Long time Ferrari buyers take to this new level of depreciation. There’s already posts on YouTube of owners complaining about the devaluation of their 488’s. Of course we could all be wrong too and the car is so fantastic it holds value.

23. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    There is a big difference between ostentation and wanting to drive an exhilarating car. They also happen to be flashy, but one can circumvent that by driving on empty mountainous roads, on Sunday mornings.

Many experts say that the ICE has at least another 50 years of life. They will be hybridised, but they will still have an ICE.
    The F8 though is not the last/best ICE Ferrari car. Many more to come (hybrids but with an ICE), not to mention the current V12s!!!

Many years ago I was driving a Xedos 6 and a medical doctor (indert doctor jokes here) asked me which Jaguar it was. Shows a lot about the person, nothing about the car...

24. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    Thanks for sharing your personal observation. I think Ferrari tried to address this on the F8 with the “hot rod/tube” that pipes the sound without augmentation inside to the driver. So it sounds better inside than outside. Since the reduced outside sound is from GPF I wonder if the 812 spyder will suffer the same fate. Sadly this is the new future as we head to electrification