What's with Tesla drivers? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What's with Tesla drivers?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JimEakin, Sep 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Probably not. Never saw a 911 trying to tailgate me. Porsche owners are more sophisticated than Prius owners, of course in general.

2. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    We're all friends here....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ideloera, JimEakin, stavura and 4 others like this.
  3. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I had a Tesla stop next to me on a red light once. The passenger with an annoying look on his face, rows down the window and said, "You need to get a Tesla. Your Ferrari is too loud!". I then shift in neutral and rev it a few times and said, "You need to get a Ferrari, your Tesla has no soul!". Unbeknownst to me, a kid was capturing all this on his cellphone. As he was walking across the crosswalk, he gave me a thumbs up.

Tifosi Dude, LI2782, stavura and 6 others like this.
  4. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

My reply would've been , "You need to STFU"...sorry these bad Tesla drivers really get to me.

5. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    G. Pepper likes this.
  6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I think the Porsche is slower than the Tesla S no?

I absolutely despise Teslas eventhough I agree they are great technological achievements.

Ryan13 likes this.
  7. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

I think we can all agree that it's the drivers of some of these Tesla's we all despise., I'm all for moving the EV technology to the next level.

I'm 360 Canuck and daytona355 like this.
  8. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Getting more Teslas around here all the time.

They never wave at me when driving my 458 Spider...but l don’t wave at the, either. :)

stavura likes this.
  9. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony

Having had a couple of 911 turboS, my experience has been that Pcars under promise and over deliver. YMMV. Also, it appears that Musk is now sending a model S to the ring to challenge the taycan.

10. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Why despise them?

Tesla’s are great fun.

I have friends in the energy business that call them coal cars.... because of strip mining for lithium, and plugging your ‘green’ car into an outlet powered by a coal power plant....... but still, they are innovative and they are making all cars from all manufactures better, electric or not. They’ve raised the bar on the technology inside the cabin more than anything else since ABS and GPS.

I bought a model X because it’s a super cool car. Not because I’m trying to save the world. For a daily driver grocery getter, it’s perfect.

11. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Absolutely, there are parts driving every marque, ferrari included..... the car doesn’t normally dictate the type of person..... however, Prius!, there’s one where the majority of owners I’ve seen out and about really are (or pretend to be) tree-hugging, pretentious, bearded hippies..... (guys here that own them aside of course!). Very strange that these technical marvels that cause so much damage in production and then when they reach end of life are latched onto by the ‘save the planet’ types who clearly look no further than the paint colour when considering how environmentally friendly something is

12. buenavides1

buenavides1 Rookie

Sep 1, 2019
    Full Name:
    Calvin
    They are just like any other drivers that you will encounter along the street.

Boomhauer likes this.
  13. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Envy moves the world. It's not a Tesla matter.

It happens to me most of the times with some small and cheap sport cars: their drivers want to overtake you to show how fast they are. Pathetic.

Happened every time when I drove the Countach, as it was a very otrageous car that moved a lot of envy.

I never got a car to overtake someone: I got a car because I liked it.

If you want to show the world how fast you and your car are, go to an handling track and try to overtake someone (which usually is much faster than you, whatever car you have….)

ciao

14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The Teslaphiles praying to the Church of Felon are a special breed.

15. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Very well said, Alberto. Sage words!

Tanti cari saluti,

Nuno.

Albert-LP and daytona355 like this.
  16. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Agree; but there is a special breed in that mix of “want a be” tree huggers who believe they are better than everybody else because they drive an electric car!

They are the tools in all this. Any the highly uneducated!

stavura and daytona355 like this.
  17. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Agree, but Idiots and pathetic are idiots and pathetic whatever car they drive.

There will be plenty of electric cars in the future: Ferrari produces SF90 hybrid that can smoke every Tesla. Taycan will Do the same. And 918 - on the market since many years- can do that too. Chiron does it.

So the problem is not the car: drivers are the problem, and the envy they have for something they cannot afford, that make them hate you. THEY are the problem

ciao

stavura, daytona355 and A348W like this.
  18. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    To be clear, i think the cars are awesome but to me, they signal the end of the cars i love. I drove my friend's Model S and did not care for it as an emotional tool. It was good as an Uber but not something i would ever look forward to driving in the morning, even as a commuter. They are an appliance to me. Not something i will bond with.

19. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

I despise them bc of what they represent on the long run. They mean the end of the cars i love. I have absolutely 0 emotion towards a Tesla (or Prius..) and i doubt Porsche will be better in that aspect. The car is amazing for what it was developed to do but to me, it signals the end of what i have loved since i was 1 year old.

20. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Well I agree with you there... but that's the way of the world.

It's logistically impossible for every car on the road to be battery powered, anyway. Power grid couldn't handle that.

Big cities are looking at anything to reduce the number of cars. More ride sharing, more public transport, etc.... it's not just moving to electric that's changing.

But even with everything that has changed already.... you can still drive around in a car from 1960 if you wanted to.... you can still drive around a Ford Model T if you wanted to.... you can still drive around in a horse and carriage if you wanted to (well maybe not on the freeway).

If you want to rip through the gears of a loud V-12, I don't see anyone taking that way from you.... especially on a private race track..... but the normal commuters of the world will move on to something else.

nis1973 and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  21. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

#46 REMIX, Sep 6, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    I had one for 4 years almost to the day. It wasn't a bad car at all. But the majority of owners driving 10mph below the speed limit really plays into the stereotype. I now drive my 420hp sedan slower than I ever drove my Prius. If your constantly late-as-****-azz doesn't like it, go around.

I want a RR Ghost next so I can really dwaddle along.

G. Pepper likes this.
  22. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Im not sure i am as optimistic as you on your last point. Here is what i see as coming for us (car lovers).

- Total ban from cities (Paris and Amsterdam already have that coming by 2030).
    - Cost to buy and operate them gets so high, you wont be able to enjoy them unless you pull 7 figures a year.
    - Social reaction to you enjoying your Ferrari in the streets after the mass has decided that it's an earth/baby seal killer, making it impossible to really enjoy it.

I'm 360 Canuck, kes7u and TheBigEasy like this.
  23. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Very true. Even Tesla owners are different from one another and an important diference exists imho, which also translates to road behaviour:

1) Tesla owners who also own supercars and use their Tesla as a daily driver and as a tool.

2) Tesla owners who only own the one Tesla.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

24. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Yes, true

The 3rd one is the biggest fear I think... we had some of that in 2008 with the 99% stuff

kes7u likes this.
  25. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I’m in Texas and get this from big dually pick up trucks more than Teslas. I drive a 355, not exactly a drag race car. I constantly get big diesel pickups wanting to race.

Teslas are fast but I’ve never been a fan. I don’t care about an “electric” car. It doesn’t solve any problem I have or do anything I care about better than an ice car. The giant screen is terrible. Someone has convinced us that buttons are bad, they are not. Give me buttons for standard everyday functions and let me use an iPad for complex settings. Everyone in the world has a tablet now, why do I need another one in my car? Let me use my iPad for setting how long my lights stay on after closing the door and get rid of that stupid giant screen.

I’m in the industrial design industry. We’re getting a lot more mining projects now than we used to. Maybe I should be happy about electric cars! I’ll buy the Taycan though because it’s not made by “electric car” fanatics, it’s made to beat them.

https://www.gjsentinel.com/opinion/editorials/guest-editorial-don-t-believe-the-lie-of-zero-emission/article_b25f216e-cc74-11e9-9cd9-20677ce06c14.html

G. Pepper and daytona355 like this.