What’s the Sweet spot for # of Ferrari’s or Exotics?? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What’s the Sweet spot for # of Ferrari’s or Exotics??

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by plastique999, Aug 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    Manda racing, halr75, kes7u and 2 others like this.
  2. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Your 16m is gorgeous, can you post more pictures. I’ve been thinking about trading my 430 spider for a 16m.

plastique999 and Way2fast like this.
  3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    4 fun cars 4 civillian cars, two bikes 3 boats various skateboards, a hobie and a adirodack guideboat.

The sail and human powered stuff is great it can sit endlessly and is always ready to go.
    Between the 8 cars 2 bikes and the boats, well its monthly maintanace somewhere.
    I console myseld by thinkign the mileage gets spread so consumables doesen't really change that much with the number of vehicles.

i do rmemebr one fall day puttign the various cars to bed, oild changes pumping up tires and the trailer tires, it was 3 days full work and that was just the fun cars.

As others here have said its horses for courses. I love my truck, it tows to the track and is just plain easy for long trips. The M3 is great for painless high speed highway travel. the Exige is for track and nothing entertains on backroads like the elise. the BBI is well just something to savor on occasion.

The cars are spread pout over two houses and an underground parking garage. Some dont get driven for a month or more, and sometimes it feels like Im driving some of them just to keep them going. So i coudl say 4 fun cars is optimal.

But never a week goes by where I dotn see one or two cars on BAT I just have to get, plus I really still want/need a morgan +8 an excalibur phaeton, an avanti, a c2 vette, meyers manx with 180 hp, and then maybe a rolls corniche, a 77 caddy fleetwood, a track t rod, a 1980 z28(first car) with a real motor, the me vette looks nice and a modern ferrari 458 to round things out, plus a hellcat challenger and .... So space is an issue not to mention time. Also while the exige is great ontrack I really want chevron B16 which probably means a motorhome for vintage races.

Yep need space and a bigger workshop, oh and forgot the era 289 cobra, and a new alpine 110 if you could get one in USA, that would probably be the very next car.

Besides some utility finction a modern suv or sedan holds little appeal to me, so I dont see paying Big$$$ to drive an appliance, my chev equinox has worked great for the past 9 years and cost lttle to run..So maybe could get by with another 14 cars, plus another 3 bikes and Id love a maule M5 on floats.
    So thats what two oil changes per month, plus plus plus.

Realisticaly I'm already too busy keeping what I have fresh and fit.

The wife says no, but will start the meyers manx build this winter.

If there were one car to keep it would be the elise hands down no question. Im still looking for that one elusive car that is light enough, handles and is viceral like an elise, well built like a german with an inspiratitional motor like an Italian, then I can have only one, but it doesent exist unless you count the Mclaren f1, .

plastique999 and NE550 like this.
  4. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    A car for every day of the week...plus a spare!

plastique999 likes this.
  5. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Two exotics: any of Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren...or when I can cash in some options a Pagani + a daily driver non-exotic (997.2 and newer Porsche, R8, Corvette...any year) a late model SUV, an 4x4 older pickup w/8 ft bed, a nice car for the wifey (Mcann, VW Touareg, Audi, Rover, Jeep GC) So this is already six vehicles...which for many people can be already kind of burdensome (it has been for us) . I need an SUV for skiing, the old pickup for some mountain property we have, Wifey needs something newer and hassle free...which is replaced no later than every two years. The two exotics are nothing but toys or to entertain clients.

...and when I say burdensome, it's not about money...it's about the hassles of storage and moving cars around , service schedules, parts & fluids, rats eating away at cars, fixing chips, dings, windshields, washing .....Time, really about time.... it is the time I don't have.

plastique999 likes this.
  6. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I had 5 at once 3 fun &2 DD: fun TVR, E-Type and a 308; DD honda accord(me) BMWZ3 (wife). When I was working the toys were stored in a location 60 miles from where I lived and were for weekends. We had no kids so I used them plenty, but it could become a bit tedious keeping everything serviced, which I did and still try and do myself. It was enough. Now have 2 toys, 308 and Boxer.

If I had unlimited money, I would have what Leno has. I love cars that much, but I'm limited by funds. Love driving them and enjoy working on them, especially in a well appointed facility.

7. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Do it!!!

Sent from my 16M

8. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Awwwww you’re making me want an Exige.....again!!!
    I’ll have another in my fleet some day.
    Plagued also by the curse of space...maybe it’s a good thing....

Sent from my 16M

9. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    For me, 1 classic American muscle, 1 Ferrari (modern exotic), 1 daily with all of the toys that’s comfortable and quiet, and my Ducati Hypermotard (not in pic). No wife or kids so they’re all mine.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thecadster likes this.
  10. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The 16M is the greatest car Ferrari ever produced, IMHO. Also, there only 499 on the planet. It is a raw car and the sound is infectious with a stock exhaust. You should definitely get one!!!

BOKE, plastique999, Vegas CS and 2 others like this.
  11. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    Excluding daily drivers and a truck for towing, I have two toys: a 360 and a Nova. They are so opposite, I get a totally different experience from each one, so it's not like having multiple exotics where the differences are just nuance. In some ways I wonder if two will become one too many some day, but hopefully not. As it is, they each get driven usually at least once a week. If I had more toys, I think they would sit and become simply art - not that I'm against that in principle, but it's not for me. If I want art I can buy a poster. My cars are driven.

I look at guys like Jay Leno with the massive collections, and I'm truly not jealous. Sure, I'd like his buying power but I'd get lost with that many cars. I also think we lose something when we get everything we want. It's part of our human makeup to always want more, but when there's nothing left to want, we get bored. So, I've latched on to a couple of cars that time, space, and budget allows, and I'll simply hang on to them and enjoy them - and continue the excitement of wanting more things that I have no intention of buying.

LightGuy, kes7u and G. Pepper like this.
  12. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Not sure about the 16M being the greatest Ferrari ever produced but it does check a lot of boxes including rarity, performance, sound and being a convertable ( if thats important ).
    Also a good value comparitively.
    If one could only have one Ferrari and you could afford it a 16M is a great option.
    Here I am talking myself into one.
    DOH !

13. philS

philS Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I know a local guy who has 350 cars (last time I checked) which is absurd by most people's standards. But I grew up in a house with 15-20 cars so having cars for different occasions seems normal to me.

14. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    Ask anyone with a collection of Ferrari’s which is the favorite. Most will say the Scud, or 16M, depending on which on they own.

Surfah likes this.
  15. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I have 8 cars at the moment, which is probably too many for my needs.

355 for the Ferrari V8 sound
    612 for the Ferrari V12 + it holds the family
    '74 450SL so my wife has a toy to play with
    '70 Bronco for the 4x4 and beach fun (don't use anymore so selling)
    My DD
    Wife's DD
    SUV (Beater) - for the Home Depot runs
    Mercedes Convertible (former DD. Now redundant so selling).

I'd have a few more "toys" if room and time permitted. Thinking about adding a 458 for something more modern and an American Muscle car when the Bronco sells.

G. Pepper likes this.
  16. John Salvador

John Salvador Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    For me it’s three cars. The wife has her car, I have my work car and my 458. Although I have been kicking around the idea of adding another older (F430) car if I can find one with a stick at a price I’m comfortable with. So probably just sticking with three.

G. Pepper likes this.
  17. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Manual F430's are already priced out of reach for me, unless I were to sell both my manual 360 and my 308, which I'm not about to do. They are the last of the best.

Though a DCT 458 is in an entirely different universe, in terms of evolution and performance.

18. danny schochet

Oct 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    danny schochet
    Well I just purchase a low mileage 355 spider gated which I love coupled with a bentley gtc. After an estimate to repair the faulty convertible top on the bentley at 22k I may sell both and go with 1 new exotic under warranty

Manda racing likes this.
  19. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

7 and counting

paulchua likes this.
  20. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    For me the fun car number is about 2 - the 355 is the fun car, the 1986 911 counts as a fun car, track rat, and gets daily driven in all weather except when there's salt on the road. Then there's the Tundra for everything else.

21. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I met a guy on a rally that had 35 Ferraris. He lives in Connecticut. But he had a stroke so now he just rides around in his cars driven by his wife.

So drive em. Every moment is precious.

22. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Somewhere between 65 and 84.

Oengus likes this.
  23. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio

I’ve had up to 5 for me (excluding other household members’ cars). Rented a hangar; decided not for me as car hobby wasn’t as fun. More time spent project managing versus pure driving for the fun of it. Simplified to 3 cars as maximum for last 4 years.

One street driver (no daily commute for me), which usually has been a 911 variant or Porsche of some sort. The other two are slated for street-registered race cars - one of which has been a Ferrari for 6+ years, the other currently in-transition (sold last one and enjoying the search for next). Sometimes the search is more fun.

Manda racing likes this.
  24. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    No doubt the search is fun, but certainly not more fun...

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Our average turn around the local shop is 3 months, that equals 4 Ferraris always one in rotation. :D

For practical reasons I would say husband driver, wife driver, track car, and vintage show.

paulchua likes this.