1985 308 QV - Paint Finish for Front Louvers | FerrariChat

1985 308 QV - Paint Finish for Front Louvers

Discussion in '308/328' started by robo330, Sep 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robo330

robo330 Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Karl Robertson
    I have a new problem and have to re-finish the Front Fender Louvers on my car. What is the correct finish? Flat Black, Satin Black of Gloss Black? I tend to think they are Semi - Flat / Satin Black.. I would appreciate a response.
    BTW, the reason for having to redo these was my Power Bleeder for the Brakes blew and sprayed Brake Fluid all over the RHS Fender! Another fine mess...!!! Managed to clean up the painted sheet metal but the RHS Louver had spots on it. Thanks again guys!!!

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If it’s a US QV, it should be satin black. You can paint it but the best way to have it done is to powder coat it.

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    '85 US cars are black anodized.

308 milano and Michael Call like this.
  4. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    +1

yup black anodize is factory correct

Michael Call likes this.
  5. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Yes anodized black is correct but not readily available. The are several grades of sheen for black powder coat to come as close to the anodized finish. I think it's 30% gloss. You will have an easier time getting them powder coated.

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I'd suggest doing a Google search for anodizers or metal finishers in your area. But before you do that, if the finish is original a light compound can clean up any discoloration. Even something like Comet cleanser can do the trick.

If someone painted them previously you may have to strip them first, but that would be required whatever you do.

7. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Anodizing should be readily available and is actually less expensive and more environmentally friendly than either paint or powder coat but first see if you can simply scrub the stains from the original surface, that’s one of it’s properties.