Cigar Smoking Room Ventilation | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cigar Smoking Room Ventilation

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by true, Jul 31, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    that is amazing! it looks like a hell of a project, i'm curious, how much did the soda fountain setup cost? feel free not to answer that one, not trying to infringe on privacy. what type of a humidor are you using? very cool setup!

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Very well done, I'm impressed.

3. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    +1!!

4. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Back in college we used to put a wet towel on the floor by the door and smoke clove cigs to hide the smell........ :)

5. true

true Karting

Jun 5, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Tyler,

The ventilation is excellent. The best I've been in -- but that's not saying much. Most bars or restaurants that are friendly to cigars use devices to take the smell away; not really control the airflow.

If the temperature is above 70 degrees, I simply open the outside vent and use the outside exhaust air ventilation. That pulls through about 2700 CFM, which will exchange all of the air in the room in less than one minute.

Once temperatures are below 70, I typically just heat up the room and use the 1200 CFM closed-loop ceiling mounted electronic air cleaner.

6. true

true Karting

Jun 5, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Nick
    The soda fountain is great. I've got Coke, Diet Coke and ice water on tap...perfectly mixed.

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    That is absolutely AWESOME!!! What a cool room! :):)

8. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    #33 PeterS, Nov 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    +10! Beats the hell out of my little room! VERY nice!

Speaking of which, for those that have a townhouse with an attached garage and do not smoke in the house, you can do what I did:

Wall off half the garage (We have[had!] a one-car garage) to form a small room (Mine is 10 x 12'). I did a simple 2x4 frame with two verticals, attached the sheet rock and texured it (Stuff if off the large wall, as I am in the middle of painting it). I framed in a 12x12" fan that does a pretty good job in exhausting the smoke. Cool little room. We threw some decent shag on the floor, coffee table, fridge, TV, and a floor heater. If I'm not sleeping or have a patio pit fire going, I spend all my time in this room!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
    Hey buddy , do you have more pics of this great "smoking room" ?

10. Vitty

Vitty Rookie

Oct 11, 2012
    Do you recall the manufacturer and model number of that air cleaner you installed on the ceiling is? I am looking to do the same thing in my heated garage.

Thanks!!

11. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross

It's nearly impossible to smoke indoors anywhere, especially my home.
    You've inspired me to make an upcoming addition smoke friendly, if I can sell it. I have a few questions if you don't mind.

The fresh air inlet you've pictured, is this for combustion air, room air or both?
    Was sharing the return air system with the house considered if backflow could be prevented? I was thinking of this as a sort of passive "pre-conditioning" and also using conditioned air for combustion which is contrary to usual efficiency ideas but as a passive exhaust of the smoky air.

What does the ventilation do to the heating or cooling system's duty cyle?
    Most of my concerns are regarding energy use/cost. It seems the furnace or A/C would be working a lot to maintain temps with that much air being constantly exhausted, especially if beginning with outside air requiring a bigger change of temperature.

Do the exhaust fans operate at the same time as the ceiling mounted electronic air cleaner? The proximity of the two imply that any cleaned air would immediately be exhausted.
    Finally, are you satisfied with the noise level with all these fans churning away?

Thanks,
    Ross

12. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  13. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  14. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    I bought the IQAir unit locally for $899. Most places asking the $1199 MSRP.

It came in yesterday and I'm picking it up in the morning.

I'll let you know how it does with a five cigar a day smoker.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    how is it working out?

I have a large game/trophy room thinking about adding something special for smoke. I rarely smoke (few cigars a year) and the room is large (over 1,000 sq ft. with tall ceilings). I wonder if just not worth it to do anything.

16. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer
    Been a while since there was any activity on this thread and as is so often the case I find myself walking in the same footsteps. I'm in the early stages of repurposing some wasted space and turning it into a cigar room. I know about smoke migration and negative pressure from online research and I figure that for my 800 sq ft room something like an 800 CFM exhaust fan ought to be adequate and then some but I'm having the devil of a time finding a decent quality unit that will fit the bill. The smoke eater is a separate issue. Not crazy about big box store window units, bathroom vent fans, or anything that will require major architectural surgery. I'm thinking perhaps something like a Fantech RV10 that mounts outside with a nose that projects into the room but I'm amazed that no manufacturer has actually identified and tapped this market yet. You'd think the demographics would make it very attractive. Any suggestions?

17. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I just wish I had a big screen porch. Nowhere to add one on our house.

18. LeAgent

LeAgent Rookie

Aug 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    Amanda Eaton
    I know this is an old post, but I stumbled across it when looking for info. for a new tenant who is opening a Cigar Lounge. We are taking a big risk by renting out our commercial property for this use, so I want to make sure they go through all of the proper processes for air filtration, purification, etc. Any ideas on a professional that I can contact to verify what all is necessary? Thanks!

19. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    most commercial mechanical engineering firms can handle this no problem. It's not a complicated problem, just airflow calculations.

20. LeAgent

LeAgent Rookie

Aug 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    Amanda Eaton
    Thank you so much!

21. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    I have a specific room with hidden access for cigar smoking in my house. I have a direct exhaust fan in the ceiling that vents directly out the roof. I turn it on with a switch by the light switch. The room is about 12x12. With the door shut, I never have any smoke leakage to the rest of the house. It can handle two people smoking. More than that is too much for the space and exhaust. No problem, unless I leave a full ash tray over night. Otherwise, room vents well.

22. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Where is the project?