Tornado visiomatic connection diagram? | FerrariChat

Tornado visiomatic connection diagram?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by raemin, Aug 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Judging by the older photos I have, my car was upgraded from single vitaloni tornado to dual visiomatic.None of my mirrors seem to work. I do have the "joystick" for a single mirror, some kind of harness was provisioned for the second mirror but I will have to sort it out.

Any idea on how these red, blue, yellow black wires are supposed to be connected in order to slide the mirror up/down/left/right?

2. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    The "joystick" is a BMW part from an early 3-series. I posted part number for the 2-mirror switch about 11 years ago. BMW has switch for both one and two mirrors. My wires go to switch via a flat plug connector. Ken

3. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    I've got a serie 1 400i, so it's not the BMW button (saw your older post), it's the >$400 vitaloni "joystick". Well my car actually has the <50$ single mirror joystick, but I am trying to figure how to modify it for 2 mirrors...

Fortunately I've just received an email from a Pontiac Fiero enthusiast, explaining how to wire these, It lacks clear indications on which wires to enable in order to move the mirror in a specific direction; however the diagram suggests that inverting two wires could do the trick.

All in all the plan is to use the "hidden" unused keystroke of the existing button so has to enable a ($20) Flip Flop circuit which would hopefully toggle the control from mirror 1 to mirror 2. Additional Vitaloni information would help, as none of my mirrors do work and as initial step, I'd rather experiment on a "stock" working setup...

4. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #4 raemin, Oct 12, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    Took me quite a while, but here are a few notes I've collected from FChat, plus a few hints from the Pontiac Mera's forum as well as my own findings. The resulting diagram is as follows, but one should read the whole post as there are quite a few color variations one should be aware of.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mirror disassembly

"To remove the mirror from the door, gently remove the rubber boot, which covers the front screw (you can also tighten the mirror pivot), then with an exacto knove remove the triangle shapped plastic on the back of the mirror. This triangle hides the mirror rear screw. Once both screws are removed you can detach the mirror from the body."

"To remove the motor, just unscrew the two black countersunk screws [that face the asphalt when the mirror is on the car]. [Although not mandatory, you should consider removing the glass and store it in a secure place as it is fragile]. Once the motor is loose it is easy to move the mirror and force an exacto knife (or something else as thin as possible) between the glass and the plastic backplate. The glass is attached to the frame with double sided tape."

The actuator is made by Eaton IKU Montfoort BV Netherlands

If the motor and solenoïd do not work you may have to disassemble the mechanism. Note that removing the 4 screws is not enough: you will also have to disconnect the cables as the thin blade connectors (on the black brown white blue cables) are very stiff and "lock" the motor on the black frame.

Based on wolftalk experience I was expecting n challenge with the harness. Needless to say I wasn't disappointed!

Black Yellow Blue Red Harness

Mirror connection

• Black wire harness goes to any of the solenoid cables (i.e white or brown)
    • Yellow wire harness goes to the other solenoïd cable (i.e brown or white)
    • red wire harness goes to blue wire of the motor.
    • blue wire harness goes to black wire of the motor.

In order to reverse the mirror direction you may have to swap red/blue (ie blue>blue red>black instead of red>bue blue>black)

dual mirror switch connection

Depending on the switch type (there are two models I am aware of), the pinout of the dual mirror switch is as follows (from left to right when the switch is on the console with the cable exiting toward the gearbox shifter)
    • pin1: black/white (or black)
    • pin2: blue/white (or red)
    • pin3: yellow
    • pin4: blue
    • pin5: blue/black (or yellow/black)
    • pin6: red (or blue/black)
    All in all one should not trust the colours of the wires directly attached to the switch, and check the pins. Here is how each pin should be connected to the Ferrari mirror harness

• pin1: ground > Bat- & both black cables from the mirrors (*)
    • pin2: bat+ > light-blue/black cable with inline fuse
    • pin3: both solenoids > Both yellow cables from the mirrors
    • pin4: both motors > Both blue cables from the mirrors
    • pin5: left motor > red cable from right mirror
    • pin6: right motor > red (**) cable from left mirror

(*) if your mirror has 2 yellow cables instead of one yellow and one black, consider one of the yellow as a black cable.
    (**) some mirrors have green/red & red cables instead of two reds in order to distinguish cables from left and right mirror. red green should be for left mirror.

single mirror switch

Unlike the dual switch, this switch relies on a 4pin connector (connected to the mirror) plus a separate 1pin connector that provides the voltage from the battery. So you may have to cut the connector in order to use single switch with two mirrors or a single mirror with a dual switch.

Cables of the 4 pin connector
    • brown : ground > Bat- & Black wire from miror
    • white : solenoïd > Both yellow cables from the mirors
    • green : motor > red/green cable from miror
    • black : motor > blue cable from miror

spare cable
    • brown wire : bat+ > white/blue cable with inline fuse

If you have a single mirror switch and two mirrors, you can make it do with a switch that toggles the appropriate (left or right mirror) red wire, and connect together the remaining cables (both blacks together, both blues, and both yellows)

I've also included the vitaloni PDF manual (courtesy of Nelson Thompson from the Mera club). I've added the appropriate colours to the black and white drawings.

Attached Files:

5. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON
    I'm in the same vote, why does this seem so hard. So to confirm if anyone knows. My yellows go together..blues go together...power to red....ground the black...? Any help would be greatly appreciated . Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON
    On the mirrors the wiring is only. 2 yellow...1 blue....1 red.

The switch is...
    1 blue
    1 blue blk
    1 yellow
    1 yellow blk
    1 red
    1 blk

7. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    The round soft connector is not used on our cars: in the door you will find a 4 pin fastin/faston connector (square shape), next to the window motor. Except for the so-so connector, the connection does seem correct though. Your lucky: all your cabling colours seem compliant with the old drawing I posted.

As far as your button is concerned, have you checked it before connecting it: I had to open mine, thoroughly clean it, and apply lots of dielectric grease before it could work properly (lots of false contacts due to the ageing grease). So check with a multimeter that the wires are properly toggled when the joystick moves up/down left/right. If you do not have such grease, you can use baby grease (petrol jelly).

8. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Ok thank. I have ordered another switch..(alfa) from ebay and should have it here this week. Hopefully all will match.

9. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Am I right with red goes to power and black to ground on the switch? Do you know.?

10. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    That's pin num2 ( red on yours) . By the way you listed the pins in reverse order in your previous post. Black is pin1 in my description, red is pin2 etc...

11. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Thanks. it all worked out well.
    Now on to the next repair...lol

Window cables loose....ahhhh

raemin likes this.