Getting your thoughts on Concorso Italiano? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Getting your thoughts on Concorso Italiano?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by BLACK HORSE, Aug 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. proggero

proggero Rookie

Apr 18, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul Roggero
    I have attended Concorso since 2003. The past several years have seen a significant decrease in older vehicles from all of the marques. Even the more current examples have dropped off. There are many fewer vendors. Those that were there did not seem to have much foot traffic. I have had my Ferrari on the field for the past eight years. My primary interest this year was to have my car judged. I very much enjoy attending the event, but it has become much less special that in years past. There is early bird pricing that escalates as the event date gets closer.

2. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    the police harassment was also pretty out of hand...

3. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Reading this thread, my initial thought was “Wow. Has it really been 10 years since I attended Concorso?”

And then “Holy Crap! $190 just for admission?”

My last Concorso was 2008 - the ill fated year they decided to hold it at the foggy, windswept concrete expanse called the Marina Airport. We were parked so far down the far end of a runway that we couldn’t even hear the PA. We just wandered around trying to avoid wind burn till it was time to finally line up to cross the podium for our trophies. They were so disorganized that we were something like 2 hours behind schedule. I grabbed my trophy and kept driving straight out the gate.

By the next year I had moved to Florida and wasn’t about to spend the money to go back for this. And then each year it went from maybe next year, to one of these years, to oh are they doing it again this year?

Based on reviews here, it sounds like I’m not missing much these days.

4. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    A few of my favorites from Concorso in its heyday. This is 2006 I think. That year they had a big group of cars parked in order to spell out Ferrari when seen from the air. I had no idea what it was looking from ground level.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

And my avatar had to come from somewhere, right?

And to this day the funniest thing I think I have ever heard was wandering through this big sea of red and hearing a voice behind me say “Ooooh! What kind is the red one?”

showme1946 and Il Tifoso like this.
  5. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
  6. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
  7. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Will not attend CI ever again. 2017 was my last. Very disappointed not to see rare and vintage Ferrari's. I saw more back in '05 and '06. EOCR was great but the crowd got too much. EOB? I don't know. But I still enjoy Carmel in spite of the "chaos."

8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    On CI - it’s an enthusiasts gathering of mostly drivers cars. It isn’t the event to attend if you want to see the finest in every class of Ferrari’s. It’s no Cavallino Classic. But, mainly because Lamborghini doesn’t currently have a Cavallino type of show, there are some top notch restored Lamborghinis that show at CI.

On Pebble week in general - come on. It’s still the greatest automotive gathering in the world. Sure it’s massive, but I love it. I have no issue with lots of money being spent, marketing and commercialization. I’m a free market capitalist and this is a capitalist hobby.

9. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Went for my first time this year. not impressed at all.
    Yeah lots of folks cars. Reminds me of bike week in daytona except everyone on their best behavior with clean clothes.
    Rather go to a SoCal C&C then a drive through the canyons or coast depending on season

Yuuup supercars in bumper to bumper traffic on 17 mile is my dream come true LOL

10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I’ve been attending Monterey Car Week events both as an exhibitor & spectator 20+ years and CI most of last 15 or so years and see its apparent decline in recent years being same as everything else with the entire Car Week in general, the constantly increasing exorbitant costs, including lodging, and growing amount (too many) events vying for the shrinking spectator crowds caused by aforementioned excessive costs.
    While I personally prefer less crowded events, even Pebble Beach on Sunday with its $450 & up ticket prices seemed have a lot smaller attendance than before, but it makes one wonder how sustainable all this is in the long run, especially when the recent invasion of corporate sponsors start pulling out.

I understand that for a well heeled collector/enthusiast, dropping a minimum of $5-10k for a week to enjoy cars is not necessarily a big deal, but I know plenty of middle class (and above) vintage car enthusiasts (colleagues, friends, etc) including many who wouldn’t mind bringing their spouses and/or kids along, but either can’t afford or see themselves spending that much just to go to look at cars for few days.
    Many of them used to attend regularly, but have quit mainly due to aforementioned costs involved.

I mean charging $300-$400 per night (with 4 night minimum) for a room which at any other time might be available at +/-$100 or $500-$1000 /night (with 4 night minimum) for one normally available at $200-$300/night and yet in last few years I’ve seen increasing number of vacancy lights on at Friday & Saturday nights during Car Week.
    The place I used to book up until few years ago charged $200-$250/night, but now wants +/-$700 for the same room and considering all that’s going on during the week, when one might have less than 6 out of each 24 hrs to stay in it.

So I guess it has become somewhat of a catch-22, the exorbitant and ever increasing costs have driven (regular) spectators away and in attempt to make up for lost revenue expectations, event organizers and local accommodation vendors keep raising their prices and continue shooting themselves in the foot in the process.

11. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    "

-Re: CI. Exactly, which is why I am not attending anymore

- Pebble week. I'd have to agree. I still make it there every year. I love just hanging out and watching cars esp in Carmel. But with all the noise, burnouts, and crowd (vs the police), am afraid sooner or later, restrictions may be in place.

12. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Started the Monterey pilgrimage in 1989. CI every year. Historics every year. Pebble Beach every year. Night auctions every year. Learned a lot about vintage cars during the 90s. Until...

CI moved out of Quail maybe (in 2007 when Frank M. sold CI?). Attended Quail instead for a few years. Until...$500+ ticket. Marginal return on fun finally hit the pause button on attendance.

Last Historics/races at Laguna Seca was Steve Earl’s last event under his stewardship (in 2010, can’t remember).

Anyway, I haven’t been since. Rennsport Reunion, Classic Le Mans, Monaco Historique are more interesting to me. I’ll likely only return if I’m racing at the Historics when Porsche or Ferrari is the featured marque. I’ll skip the parties (except ones among friends) and stationary vehicle displays.

Lusso123, wiley355 and TTR like this.
  13. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    After reading everyone's responses, sounds like everyone's tired of the same-Ole crap. IMO, in order to make this show great again... CI Mtg needs to lower the entry fees for spectators to attend, like a reasonable price, say like $40 and kids 20. Lower the car registration. Fees of $95 for early bird and late fees of $120 seems fair enough! Also bring in "true vintage" Ferrari's and other Italian exotics, but that might be a little tricky since Pebble and Quail has the majority of them tied up. Maybe combine a Italian heritage festival with the show would be awesome. Its been along time since CI had any vintage F1 cars on display. If I recall the last 12 years I've been attending CI they had just one F1 on display. And... lower pricing for vendors to attend and expand on the food catering, making it reasonable to eat.

IMO... Its GREED that's killing car weekend in Monterey and especially CI! Extremely sad!!!!

Lusso123, dodici and Thomas Magnum like this.
  14. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    Your spot on Timo.
    Try flying from Australia for 13 hrs. The ever rising fee's, wether it be for tickets to events, accommodation etc, is on the rise to a point where you have to decide how bad you want to go. The times I've gone it has been fantastic to see and catch up with all our American friends. But you certainly are getting less and less value for your money and less change from your budget to go. So much so for the same costs a very good holiday elsewhere in the world looks very attractive.
    100USD just to walk into Leguna! Really??
    Does the Ferrari Club of America have concessions for Members??
    Murray

TTR likes this.
  15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    As for Monterey Historics from casual spectator viewpoint, I was also a bit sticker shocked Friday at $90.- per person. Went there with a friend and paid for both of us.

I do enjoy walking through the pits for few hours, looking at great variety of attending vehicles (although most seem to be same as in previous years), talking with owners/drivers/mechanics about them and while I didn't get a chance to do that last year, my (perhaps inaccurate) recollection from years past was that Friday spectator pass was something like $40.-(?).

I also noticed a lot less spectators than in the past and absence of some (vintage automotive) parts and supply vendors whom have previously been "fixtures" at this event, although there still appeared to be a large presence of nic-nac/trinket displays.

Murray,
    AFAIK, FCA doesn't offer any concessions or Membership discounts to any of these events as they are not organized/operated by the club.

16. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Been going to Monterey week for 20+ years
    Not just CI but Pebble, on the day, $450 !!
    If I want to donate to charity I can do it without your help.
    Never again !

BLACK HORSE likes this.
  17. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    BLACK HORSE likes this.
  18. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I remember that year, it was great!!!

19. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I hear you both.
    I have several lifelong vintage car enthusiast friends in Europe whom for years I’ve been asking/inviting to make the trip to experience Monterey Car Week at least once in their lifetime, but the way costs have continued to escalate, general attendance and quality of events declined in recent years, it’s impossible to get them exited or even interested in that prospect anymore.
    They all say they’d rather spend that $10K+ on their cars or other vacations.

20. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I too have been attending CI since early 80s. It was so much better back then when CI was held on Friday then Saturday we go to the Monterey Historic race in Labuan Seca. Also now, after the early bird price of $190 to register you car at CI, it is also the same price for the general public, no wonder crowd is shrinking now. I will still go to CI depending on who’s going to be there, who the marquee is, if group of friends to drive together or just meet there but definitely will not do this every year anymore.

21. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I have the fortunate luxury of having my mom and siblings living on the peninsula. I went up and went to a few of the auctions and Friday’s Werkes Reunion. I think I’d prefer to deal with the hassle of the Ocean Ave event for the variety and Laguna Seca rather than the CI and other events huge costs. Saturday’s Ferrari’s at the Barnyard was a joke for $60! One winery actually poured us a two tablespoon portion of Merlot for tasting! Won’t be doing that next year. I was done on Saturday and spent Sunday and Monday with my family. While at my brothers house in Pacific Grove we discussed that he has observed in increase in the amount of engine exhaust noise from the newer exotics now. We could hear cars in winding out on the roads in Pebble and PG. Just like Cars and Coffee now.

22. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    It’s all window dressing. In the end, what matters is the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. Whatever pluses and minuses exist throughout the week, they don’t change one thing - it is the greatest concours in the world.

23. rwk360

rwk360 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    R W Kenton
    Ditto on the noise. We live on the peninsula, but thank God not directly on the 17-mile drive. The hot-rodding began at dawn and went well into the night. This has steadily gotten worse over the last 2-3 years. Not just F-cars and other exotics, which I can get behind, but rice-rockets, etc, with exhaust systems specifically designed to do nothing other than make noise. I'm sure this will come across to some as being a wet blanket and maybe elitist, but my feelings are stuck somewhere between being a local that's frankly tired of this kind of s___, and being a multi-year participant in Car Week, including CI and (now a) 360 owner that appreciates and loves his car and wants to drive it on the edge just like any other owner would.
    I fully agree with comments r/e the PB Concours though- THE premier concours in the world. Shocking, however that they now charge $450. just to walk through the entrance. Despite that, everyone should do it at least once in their lives, just like the Rose Parade!

Sorry for the rant. My 2 cts.

Lusso123 and Way2fast like this.
  24. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #49 BLACK HORSE, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Down town Carmel got a little crazy the Saturday night after CI.. The police had enough and was in full traffic enforcement, detouring cars off of Ocean Ave onto side streets. This is the first I've seen this happen on car weekend in Carmel.

25. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The entire Monterey experience is getting too expensive. This is also a factor. Lodging is just nutty. Traffic is terrible.

I went to 2 of the early ones on the golf course and it was pretty much just a bunch of guys who drove up to see the races a chance to get together. Then it became more of a show, and more organized, and more expensive.

Literally it was just people who spent a day together talking about the cars they drove in. They even had a section a bit down the entrance for British and German cars.

It went from car nuts to the wine and cheesers.