f-12 radio issues | FerrariChat

f-12 radio issues

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by famb, Dec 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. famb

famb Rookie

May 25, 2007
    Does anyone else have problem of losing radio after using the blue tooth connected cell phone?

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    What year? I did have this once in my 2017. But I was near my destination. I turned the car off, went for lunch, came back and everything was fine... :)

3. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Known issue. The car does not realize the call is complete and keeps audio muted

You can try and clear car and phone and re pair If persists there was a software upgrade that was in a tech bulletin

4. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Just to add to the above. The infotainment system on the F12 and FF doesnt actually power down until the ignition has been off for about 10 minutes. So any such glitches/crashes can usually be resolved by locking the car for 10 minutes, but not just by turning the ignition on and off again quickly.

5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Dealer also states that F12s also have a habit of the radio coming on when the key is turned to ignition even if the radio was turned off after last use. Can anyone confirm?

6. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I wonder what's the reason for having it still on for 10 minutes. That's a major drain on the already weak battery.

7. StephenB

StephenB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2007
    S Florida
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bruno
    Had this exact problem in my 2015 FF and this weekend it happened in my 2017 488! I think I figured out what the sequence is that causes it. I have an IPhone...If I am on a call and end it by pressing the button on the phone about 70% of the time the radio volume does not come back on. You can tune it and increase the volume/mute but no radio volume.

Restarting the car did not work. I opened another call and then ended it by pressing the end call on the car's display and the radio volume worked.

8. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    What an elaborate sequence to get the volume working again.

9. Ferro458

Ferro458 Karting

May 26, 2014
    My 2016 F12 has lost all sound output from the radio,satellite or bluetooth connection. It first did this intermittently, but now appears not to be working at all.

Is there a software upgrade that addresses this? Is there a know cause? I am using an iPhone 7s.

10. PhantomCypher

PhantomCypher Formula Junior

May 25, 2014
    USA
    This happened to me on my 2015 FF a couple of months ago.

I took it to the dealer and they did a full battery disconnect to get the audio to work again...

11. BATM4N

BATM4N Rookie

Oct 12, 2013
    Hi FChat
    I just bought a 2014 F12 and having the same problems. It's really annoying !! So is this something the dealer can fix or the reset the only way ?

Thanks Nico

12. Ferro458

Ferro458 Karting

May 26, 2014
    Just an update on my dead audio system.

I took the car to the dealer, who did a system reboot. However, this is did not solve the problem and it remained dead. Dealer set an appointment for two weeks from now to see if its the 1) amplifier or 2) software system update.

So this weekend I drive the with my wife up to Napa, the wine country. To get to dinner I have to navigate twisty, treacherous, pass road over the mountain from Sonoma. Tons and tons of fun obviously!

Coming down the backside into Napa I go over a substantial bump and jar the car. The radio starts playing :) Seems to work fine again now.

Go figure.

Bobby_P likes this.
  13. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Loose connector... or fuse.

SV

14. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I'm glad it came back and hopefully something the dealer can now diagnose and resolve quickly. I'm giggling a bit here... you have a true wonder of modernity, its exhibiting a problem and the fix? The time honored- give it a good thud.

15. rfg

rfg Rookie

Oct 31, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Took delivery of a new 2017 F12b 4 days ago and had a long, uneventful inaugural drive including use of FM radio. Tonight pulled car out of garage to activate Sirius XM radio subscription. I believe radio was already silent before I initiated the satellite subscription. The radio produces no sound at all, not on FM, nor AM, nor satellite, nor Bluetooth connection to iPhone. There is dead silence in all audio modes. I am sure it is not the mute button or volume being set too low. I doubt any relationship to the Satellite radio activation. Friends, please share your thoughts on the possible causes - and propose a remedy which does not involve going anywhere near the shop. Thanks!

16. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    This happened to me again yesterday... Had a very nice and 45 minute spirited drive to my office, lunch, then home. Start up the car for the ride home and no sound from any sources. Drove home listening to the motor- what a sound! Left the car alone in the garage for about 2 hours, came back turned the ignition to electronics on and sound was back!

I cannot explain why this happens.

However, as a workaround you might try to park the car, get out, lock it. Leave it for the 10+ minutes Deltona mentions, then try unlocking and restarting. My guess as to why 10 minutes is probably has to do with convenience functionality of having the BT pairing, etc. So you can do some quick shopping come back and have the car ready to go.

17. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    The 10 minutes or so is because the infotainment doesn't shut down immediately after ignition off. I think the reason might be because they want to give you some sort of convenience so that for example if you stop to refuel (often!) you don't want to have to wait for the system to fully reboot each time so they have it in a sort of standby for 10 minutes hence not really off.

18. rfg

rfg Rookie

Oct 31, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Turning car on and off, leaving locked for 10 minutes (indeed for several over-nights), un-pairing and re-pairing Bluetooth have had no effect. Since the second day I drove this car (I took delivery last week) there has been no audio. No radio mode works and the NAV is silent. Not even the CD player produces sound. Can anyone think of any explanation or remedy apart from what the dealer plans - which is to disconnect the car battery and reset everything to baseline. Even if that works, what prevents the problem from recurring if its cause is not known. To make matters worse, without radio I notice the driver's seat is awfully creaky....

19. Ferro458

Ferro458 Karting

May 26, 2014
    An update. The passenger side upper speaker has died, and the car had to go into the dealer for the annual service anyway. They are going to replace the amplifier, and had to order one from Italy (!).

This will take awhile, but I have the car back without a radio. Actually, I don't mind so much, I can listen to the engine more anyway :)

20. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Just lost my radio in my '14 F12 .

Question for others that had same problem - did you notice that the radio screen went to mph view and you lost clock?

21. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Just resurrecting this thread. I too was having some wonky issues with the radio in try 2014 F12 (mine is the higher end one, option). Blue tooth flakeyness, radio would stop working then work again on next start up. Stopped working for good shortly after the last service a few months ago. Tried a reboot of the system, nothing. Missed the bluetooth functionality, occasional radio, and the nav and the right screen also did not work, except for the big speedo. Also, things like this drive me nuts I am a little ocd on my cars - as some of you know me.. So wanted it to be right.

Dealer tested my radio in another F12 which had the dash apart, and determined my radio was Dead. They also sent it to a high end radio repair shop to see if it was something small (loose wire, etc.) Nada. (They had it for over a week, with no luck resurrecting it).

Due to that unit having integration with the Nav, screen, etc. It is not something you want to replace and really no aftermarket option.. Final tally on cost was just over 10K for the radio and labor (Gulp). If the Amp goes which is behind the seats (mine was fine) that is another 8K. So be warned the radio in the F12 is not something you want to have replaced.. Too bad there is no normal DIN radio on the F12, you can buy a heck of a upgraded stereo for 10K.

Before you ask - the upgrade option for the hi-fi stereo on the F12 is 5800. I asked the same question you might be thinking, how is it 10K. The integrated components, etc. all the components have to be replaced as they are integrated on the unit - it is one unit evidently. Terrible design really.

The car has been at the service center for over 3 weeks, for the radio - but they did try and send it to an aftermarket repair shop - due to the cost of the new one, so understandable. Good news it is now working great - no bluetooth issues at all, so must be upgrade to a newer unit - but no apple car play unfortunately.

22. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I thought I posted an update, maybe it was in another thread...

Anyways same as you Richard my radio & car was in shop for 3 weeks, they did all same tests , in the end I had to pony up for a new radio ($8k) , since car was fairly new to me (a couple months) dealer helped in getting some labor comp'd . Not sure what you wrote about aftermarket , I tried that route and was told no dice (I also have hi fi system). Regardless it works , it's a Ferrari thing, the new radio now comes with a 2 year warranty .

23. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Same with me - no aftermarket available.. They didn't know if my amp was also bad (it wasn't) - however you can go aftermarket amp. The ferrari amp for the hi-fi unit is also another 8K - so if you amp were to go, you should be able to use an aftermarket amp - it is hidden, so you never see it...

I didn't get comp'd on labor - so that was an extra 1300. I also had them do a few other things bringing my bill to just over 10K with tax. Ouch.

My dealers said he had not seen a radio go bad, and you are the only other one I have heard of.. Guess we are the trail blazers. Sad that the pathetic radio cost more than other major components on the car..

24. bayareaferrari

bayareaferrari Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2004
    California
    This was also taking place in my F12. The radio was turning on and off--stay on for 30min turn off then just restart the happen again. Took the car into the dealership where they felt a software flash would fix it. In this case it did not and they needed to replace the unit..Car was under warranty...However, this sounds like a known issue maybe something to inform FNA as it seems like a defect.

25. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Happened on my FF and F12. Only fix was replacing. Tried software flash etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk