Need feedback / Kline exhaust in 458 spider | FerrariChat

Need feedback / Kline exhaust in 458 spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by sharon amos, Dec 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sharon amos

sharon amos Karting

Dec 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    sharon amos
    Hi
    I’m seeing a lot of posts about the various Kline exhaust but non has an actual video or sound clip it - please share if you have any.

Also if have it on your car please share your thoughts about,

1. What setup you have - stainless, inocel, no car, 100cel 200cel cat.

2. What’s your input on the sound when the valves are open and you hit it ?

3. What’s your input of how quiet it is when the valves ?

Thanks guys!!!!

Happy holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    My Speciale has an Inconel muffler and 200cell HJS cat. Also have a valvetronic controller

I see little reason to go with a 100 cell cat except for noise control. A 100 cell cat still has a good chance of causing CEL. Might as well go decat. If you do decide to do a 100 cell cat, definitely get minicat spacers for the o2 sensor.

Sound is great. Car will drone at low RPM with the valves open. If I shut the valves, drone disappears entirely. Car is louder than stock both at low and high RPM. Pitch is noticeably higher too. Do note that with all exhausts, the high pitch is muffled more than the bass tones when windows are up unless you decat. High pitched noises have a harder time penetrating a sealed space. Just physics.

Personally, I think Kline is best with their inconel products. That's their specialty, in the same way Akrapovic specializes in titanium. With that said, if you are just looking for sound, stainless steel is a more cost efficient option.

3. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Kline exhaust has no valves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. sharon amos

sharon amos Karting

Dec 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    sharon amos
  5. sharon amos

sharon amos Karting

Dec 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    sharon amos
    Hi guys.
    So I got the Kline exhaust installed and wow. Perfect.

Here is a video I shoot.

Enjoy

tekaefixe, SVR and obbob like this.
  6. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Do you have valves ? Is it sociable enough to have valves closed in the neighborhood or still loud af?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017

Sounds awesome! Question for you, do you notice a large sound difference when you open and close the valves using the controller?

I ask because I barely notice any difference, so I’m wondering if my controller was installed correctly.

Netpark likes this.
  8. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    While not 100% relevant I have a Kilne exhaust on my Lusso....Love it!....sounds awesome....there is considerable difference with valves open/ closed when the car is cold but not as much once it warms up.....the exhaust really comes into play at 4K RPM's or so.....valves open at low RPM's creates a little bit of an annoying drone....I have steel as the car is a pig anyways....Inconel was not worth it for me....200 cats or nothing....

My Kline threw a CEL which required O2 spacers....this was the first NA Lusso to get a Kline and they were quite surprised it occurred....I saved anyone else doing it in the future $1200 or so as they had to pull everything apart to put the spacers in after the fact......now I'm sure they will recommend it from the get go.....

MacDemarco likes this.
  9. Agostinho

Agostinho Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2017

I'm curious. Since you went went with cats, if you sell the car, will you leave the Kline exhaust in? Would you decat if you had to do it over? Debating on a decat system, but if decat, would need to reinstall the stock exhaust of I sold the car.

10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    200 cel cats muffle the F1 sound a bit. 100 cel is the way to go. Yes, you will trigger CEL, but get a minicat.

Straight pipe will have best sound , less weight, and cost less, but your car will smell.

MacDemarco likes this.
  11. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    You should almost always return the car to stock when selling. Aftermarket exhausts will reduce your buyer pool. If you just swapped the mufflers it wouldn't be too big a deal, but selling a car with aftermarket cats is generally inadvisable

No, I would not decat if I had a choice. I decatted a previous super car and the smell and noise was too much.

Netpark likes this.
  12. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    Sharon, what material did you end up getting? I ask as I bought a Kline setup with 200 cell cats and valvetronic mufflers in inconel. Any exterior vids?

13. Raridreams

Raridreams Rookie

Nov 14, 2019
    Can you confirm the 100 cell cats eliminates the exhaust fume "smell" you get with test pipes? I prefer the straight pipe sound BUT the exhaust fume smell gets old quick and gives me headaches. Especially problematic on a convertible. I am thinking 100 cell race cats might be the next best thing?

14. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    100cell cat here, zero exhaust fumes in cabin, behind me on the road is a diff story.
    I have full Novitec inconel headers/back, my car sounds sharper/higher pitched/more violent than the vid here. Only saying for comparison purposes, obviously all sounds great.

MacDemarco likes this.
  15. Raridreams

Raridreams Rookie

Nov 14, 2019
    wow...Full inconel + 100 cell...I'm sure that sounds orgasmic! coupe or spider? So regarding smell; no issue inside cabin but safe to say if standing outside the car your exhaust smell is still pretty raw?

16. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    Coupe. Sounds nuts....f1 car. Kline and s-line are both close but not quite the same. Much more cost effective but not totally the same.
    Smell behind the car is not awful...not as bad as a straight pipe car but the person behind you will know when you get on it, for sure. Zero, zero issue inside cabin, none, 0%.

MacDemarco likes this.
  17. Raridreams

Raridreams Rookie

Nov 14, 2019
    ^ agreed. S-line has earned a great reputation for sound from such a simple design and I like the made in USA aspect. They are supposedly working on cats/test pipes for the 458 but have yet to release. No valves is a downside to the S-line vs the Kline system for me though.

MacDemarco likes this.
  18. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    my spider has decated IPE with valves. So im really into sound..... my valves are only closed around my neighbors, and I have never used my radio. If your like me and really into sound go decat, 200cel just doesn't have the pitch decats have.
    I actually want it louder so I plan on installing headers soon. Its loud at first but you get used to it fast. With the top up its not that loud. Valves closed is like stock with valves open.
    I feel Exhaust system doesn't make the sound "louder" but just changes the tone, in order to get it louder you have to change the cats. If you feel stock is loud enough then you might want to stick to stock cats. I would try 200cel first then go down if you want to go louder. As for smell....you get exhaust smell at a stop lights if the wind is blowing forward from the back.
    Also IPE doesnt trigger CEL and it hasn't for me. It might when I get headers tho.

MacDemarco likes this.
  19. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    ooooh this sounds good....but not as high pitch you get with decats...and then with headers you get even higher.

20. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Damn...that sounds bananas! enjoy curious, what was the approx cost to do the upgrade?

21. Boston George

Boston George Rookie

Feb 5, 2018

22. Boston George

Boston George Rookie

Feb 5, 2018
    I just didon my 458 spider 2013
    stainless steel Kline
    Manifolds, 100 cell cats , and exhaust, black tips

the sound is out of this world, the horse power defiantly increased and i notice difference specialty at high speeds.

i do have a check engine light came on a day later and did a scan and its a 02 sensor, there is a possibility the shop forgot to put thr spacers, or he goin gto flash the ECU to get more horse power and eliminate the check engine light. Si did the whole thing, very happy the sounds is really amazing and no fumes in cockpit. Also on idle it hums and more bass to it, also no smell of fumes in the back when idling. will post video soon adn more info

SPOM13 likes this.
  23. Boston George

Boston George Rookie

Feb 5, 2018
    Any issues with Check engine light? I just did my full exhaust and bench flash ECU and still have CEL issues. My last resort is if it has a faulty o2 sensor. I did manifolds , 100 cell cats , no spacers because of tune no need. , muffler. The system is from Klein and the ecu flash from hydra motor works in Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

24. SPOM13

SPOM13 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2015
    I had 200cell and got light with stock mufflers. Added Fabspeed O2 spacers

25. Netpark

Netpark Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2012
    I completely agree. I have a Speciale with 200 Inconel cel cat, Inconel valvetronic exhaust with Inconel button. Hardly a difference with the button pressed with valves open. My mechanic verified that the valves were open when the button was pressed. My problem with this exhaust is that it sounds fine when above 6,000 rpm and pushing it to extra illegal speeds but doesn’t sound good around town in the Soo low and mid revs. I emailed Kline and they recommended 100 cel cats but I don’t want to spend the $ and time to install something that may be the same but louder.
    Notice that in the video that was posted, the driver is pushing the car hard in order to achieve the desired sound. Frankly I’m disappointed with the Kline system as a whole. My Cayman GT4 with just headers and stock Performante sound far better.
    I just bought a V12 GTC4 Lusso recently and not sure if I want to try Kline again. Novitec I feel is too expensive. Capristo may be the one. Just not enough videos outside Novitec to make the decision.