Capt Al Haines passes | FerrariChat

Capt Al Haines passes

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by jcurry, Aug 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
  2. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    “If Haynes had not decided—somehow, reflexively—to steer the plane with the throttles, the crippled DC-10 would have rolled all the way over and spiraled to the ground, killing all on board. Haynes had no idea what made him use the throttles. Nothing in his training would have suggested it.”

Listen to the full audio, or watch Denny Fitch’s “Leaving the Earth”.

RIP Al. Well done, captain.

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I disagree that he didn't have the training. He knew the physics of flight and the physics of the airplane. He realized that the only yaw control left was the application of asymmetrical thrust. This happened many times in WW2 bombers. I'm not demeaning anything about Haynes, he did a magnificent job while using his brain instead of losing it. In my early training I was challenged in the event of loosing certain controls and what I had to do to keep some control of the airplane. I don't know if that is part of the syllabus now.

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I once attended a lecture that he gave at the Museum of Flight in Seattle. Very informative and very inspirational. R.I.P., Captain.

5. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Thanks for sharing. I was too young when that happened to appreciate it. Sounds like he was the "Sully" of his day.

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Remember being glued to the radio in my office as it was happening... it originated here in Denver.

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I recall that while working on the 777 it was decided to retain mechanical connections to the outboard spoilers and stab trim in case that some of the FBW system went out. We were chided by Airbus for not having total FBW...until one of their airplanes took over and flew into the woods or something. Maybe it was the incident when one of their airplanes elex system went completely dead for 60 seconds. Now Boeing is learning a few things about keeping a grip on system design.