Home built Alfarrari, my 360 engined Alfa 105 | FerrariChat

Home built Alfarrari, my 360 engined Alfa 105

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Home Built by Jeff, Aug 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Home Built by Jeff

Jun 9, 2019
    Bowral, Australia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Micklem
    Hey guys,

I have been working away for the last few months on my latest crazy project which is my 1973 Alfa Romeo GTV. I have had it sand blasted back to a bare shell and I am restoring it with the crazy part being a 2000 model Ferrari 360 engine at it's heart.

I am have already worked out a lot of the build. I am mating the engine to a Subaru BRZ gearbox, and have been working with a mate designing the adapter plate which will incorporate the oil return from the oil tank.

I also plan to keep the factory inlet plenums on the 360 engine, but I will need to cut down the runners to lower it enough so that it doesn't sit comically out of the bonnet of the car. I know this will hurt the bottom end performance of the car, but even with some power loss from what Ferrari intended, it will still be around 3 times the power of the original engine.

I bought the engine complete with all the accessories, loom and ECU's, but I am not sure how much I will be using. Getting around the factory immobiliser and retuning the ECU's will more than likely be more headache than I need and I will probably just go with a complete stand alone ECU.

I am filming the entire process for YouTube, and here is a pic of where I am at. I am hoping to get some help along the way from you guys here when it gets down to the nitty gritty getting the engine working and reliable in this new home.

Jeff

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

bertha01, Gh21631 and davidoloan like this.
  2. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    I like your plan, best of luck. One of these days I might do an engine swap on my Opel Manta.

Home Built by Jeff likes this.
  3. Home Built by Jeff

Jun 9, 2019
    Bowral, Australia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Micklem
    Thanks mate. It is my first engine swap so I thought I would start with something simple ;) . The Opel Manta would be an interesting one. Not something I have ever seen in Aus'.

4. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    :eek: I shall be following this.

5. Home Built by Jeff

Jun 9, 2019
    Bowral, Australia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Micklem
    At this stage I am busy doing all of the rust repairs on the shell. So far I have 14 videos on this projects process on my YouTube channel. I am really enjoying this build.

6. jferrante

jferrante Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2016
    Love your videos Jeff been watching since the Porsche started. Looking forward to the Alfa progress!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Really enjoy your vids Jeff. I'll probably just follow you on alfabb.com as I'm on there as well for my Montreal and you'll have an active following and receive more advice on that board.

Fwiw, I was really skeptical that you're going to be able to fit the intake manifold and plenum under the GTV bonnet. When you were selecting engines, I thought you might've gone for a 348 or a 355 engine, for the lower manifold/plenum height if nothing else. But by cutting the runners down on the 360 engine's intake, you'll move the torque curve up the rev range though in a relatively light car, the engine still should have plenty of torque lower down to move the car along quite well.

Mrs Jeff seems to put up with your passion the same as my wife. At this point, whenever I bring home a car (bought a wood chassis Marcos GT 3.0L back in May) or some new tool that won't fit in our garage (my latest was a parts washer), she just rolls her eyes and shakes her head while giving me a wry smile.

8. Home Built by Jeff

Jun 9, 2019
    Bowral, Australia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Micklem
    It was more a situation of what was available. The 360 engine was easier to get hold of and it was modern enough to be reliable. Making it all fit and work will take some work, but I like a challenge ;)

9. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    This makes me wonder if the Fulvia/348 build is still on hold...

10. Home Built by Jeff

Jun 9, 2019
    Bowral, Australia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Micklem
    I haven't heard of that one. I know there is a later Alfa GTV6 with a 456 V12 in it which is mostly done. I have heard of a couple of others who started a similar conversion to mine into a 105, one with a 360 engine and the other with a Maserati, but I think they stalled and were never finished. I think I am stubborn enough to see this through ;)

Ak Jim likes this.
  11. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Cutting the runners down is going to be a huge project.
    Can you just put a hoodscoop on, leave the plenums sticking out or put a formed mesh screen over the intakes ? Show that it is a Ferrari engine.

12. Home Built by Jeff

Jun 9, 2019
    Bowral, Australia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Micklem
    The stick up way too far over the bonnet. As it is I will have to make a large bonnet bulge. Others have suggested to swap out for itb's but the plenums are the only part that says Ferrari, and that is half the point. It will be difficult, but not insurmountable.

13. bertha01

bertha01 Rookie

Sep 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    bertha ales
    Will be fun follow[​IMG]

14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV