Miles on 348 or 355 | FerrariChat

Miles on 348 or 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by FerMaz, Aug 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerMaz

FerMaz Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2007
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Who has been able to put over 50,000 mile on their 348 or 355 without having to do any expensive engine work. Not counting the majors that we have to periodically do. Lets see if these cars are really meant to be driven and how reliable they are with proper care.

2. Suffyk

Suffyk Formula Junior

May 25, 2012
    Look at Europe... lots of high mileage examples.

Robb likes this.
  3. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What is the purpose of this topic ?

Robb and Ferrarium like this.
  4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yes mel over 60k and just typical service on 348s. Many 348s no issues over 70kmiles

5. FerMaz

FerMaz Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2007
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Thanks for the info. It gives a guy confidence to drive their cars as much as they want and to take care of them.

Wade and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  6. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I'm no expert and not even close but from many cars that I've looked at for sale and owner experiences here, it seems the 348 engine is pretty solid. The 355 has the valve guide issue along with headers and cats but I haven't seen too many high mileage 355s without serious engine work. Not sure if that's because of the heads or something else.

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I noticed the same thing actually now that you mention it.... The Tipo F119 is notoriously tuff though.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    348 and 355 are very robust motors with great bones, with basic care will last very long

FerMaz and Mmckee like this.
  9. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    FWIW: I have just over 103,000 miles on my '89 Mondial t coupe. Hope to eventually do the same with my 348tb which only has 26K kilometers on it as of now. And of course my daily '01 Dinan 7 (BMW E38 740iL w/ supercharger) has over 223,000 miles on it...

eyeman1234, ernie, JLF and 1 other person like this.
  10. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #11 ernie, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    I have 86,000 miles on my ‘90 348. I have done 2 engine out major services. The last one was over 5 years ago and I went in as deep as you can get on a major. I have replaced and fixed multiple parts on the car, rebuilt the old gearbox, but the engine has never been opened up and rebuilt yet. Plenty of red line shifts, multiple dyno pulls, a cross country drive, it will consistently put down 300hp to the hubs, and that little F119 just keeps on ticking. I know on good authority that the stock crank is good for 10,000+rpm! The F119 is a VERY tough engine, dare I say one of the toughest ever built by Ferrari.

steved033, Bertil and Robb like this.
  11. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    When my Tipo 129 blows up I’ll let you know.

I would not expect a call...

Ever...

Robb

12. FerMaz

FerMaz Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2007
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mel
    It is really great to hear about all the cars that have a lot of mileage and are still running strong. Says a lot about the 348 and the 355. Thats as good a plot for a post as I can think of.

Mel

Mmckee likes this.
  13. JSBMD

JSBMD Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    The OC
    Full Name:
    John
    62,000 miles on my '98 355F1. Have done majors of course, plus headers/cats and some F1 work (accumulator, 360 pump conversion, unneccesary actuator replacement when the accumulator was the issue) and a clutch (oil-fouled, 50% worn at 35k miles), oil/fluids, tires, etc. Still runs great, loads of fun, despite its occasional irritating qualities.

I think the motors are pretty robust. The paintwork and leatherwork is another issue altogether.

14. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I just sold my 355 with almost 72k miles on it. The F1 system needed a go through but the motor ran strong and hard without any signs of getting tired.

Mmckee and 308 GTB like this.
  15. cantthinkofone

cantthinkofone Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2018
    New York
    Full Name:
    Michael Orifici
    Although i picked up my 348 with 81k and only put about 500 on it so far, i can say this, every works in it and drive just like lower mileage examples. I have a big service history i got with the car and after review it, other then majors services the only real repairs were due to sitting. Batteries/clogged injector. Othere then that it was brakes, oil changes and little things here and there.

Just my $.02

Sent from my SM-G960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Jamie traina, chopsui and 308 GTB like this.
  17. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Almost 80,000km here on a 93 348 spider. Two majors, nothing internal to either the engine or the transaxke.

All problems have been relatively minor. Although I did do a lot of research to find a good one when I bought her some 14 (?) years ago. 60,000km's are mine including many long distance runs.

308 GTB, Bertil and MAD828 like this.
  18. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    '93 Speciale here with 67k miles on the clock. Bought it at 42k in 2012. Have done majors routinely (5 years or 15k miles) and the last one did the oil pickup tensioner (~7k for all that last time)

Rebuilt the alternator last year for about $120 in parts. Replaced the ignition coils as I found one cracked.

My leakdown and compression numbers are stellar and better than some of the garage queens.

Oil changes on the button every 3k miles and always send an oil sample to Blackstone labs (thanks FBB). Gear oil changes annually.

Having some master cylinder issues right now but have a new one on the bench once outdoor temps come down... to hot to work in garage. Found the plastic elbow had a crack in it letting air in the system.

All records from PO's as well. He had new aluminum radiators custom built. No major issues for them either. They also kept up maintenance on the regular.

That's the key oh and a good rshp with your mechanic. Keep an eye out for things and plan and fix smartly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

308 GTB likes this.
  19. FerMaz

FerMaz Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2007
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Just returned from the Carmel Auto Week a 700 mile roundtrip in my 348 S. The car performed flawlessly and now has 51,000 miles on it. These cars are truly wonderful to own and drive.

Mel

Bertil, surfwolf, Robb and 3 others like this.
  20. fullmonty

fullmonty Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2007
    LALAland
    Full Name:
    Mel
    1997 355 spider, 71,000 miles. Valves done, major 4 years ago, radiators, new seat leather, recently: shocks, rear control arm bushings, master cylinder, hydraulic pumps for new top. Has seen numerous trips to monterey, phoenix w/o problems.

FerMaz likes this.
  21. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    Almost 68k miles now, this was a week ago.
    Bottom end refresh/top end rebuild at 32k miles 8 years ago, runs really, really well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

FerMaz likes this.