Monterey auction week thread | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Monterey auction week thread

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Timmmmmmmmmmy, Jun 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    The Porsche is closely connected to the Nazi regime but so what, all luxury and sporting German cars were closely connected to the regime, after all they were funded by the regime. Why would this Porsche be expected to be effected when a Mercedes 540K Special Roadster or a Silver Arrows GP car are $10 - 25 million and have little effect from their Nazi connections. The Porsche failed because it was 95% a VW, had 32bhp and was certainly not the most beautiful car one has ever seen. I picked mid teens would be enough but I have no doubt Marcels number noted below was more realistic and would simply refer to the first Ferrari which sold to Jim G for less than a million in the mid '00s. Many firsts are cool but they are underdeveloped, underpowered and often unresolved. So a good car for a collector with lots of Porsches but not the widespread appeal of say a 917 or 956, even a rare 911R or the best 935 and there it is.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  2. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    That article lost a lot of credibility once they talk about Porsche and "their" Type 64!
    The car pictured at the Rennsport Reunion is NOT a car owned by Porsche but the Prototype Museum in Hamburg. It is said to be reconstructed from a few remaining parts and not a real survivor like the car on auction. Porsche actually owns nothing but an alloy body (not original) displayed as a piece of art in their museum
    https://barchetta.mediacenter.plus/Museum-A-Z/-/Porsche-Museum/01-Porsche-Museum-2009-PS/Gallery-02/?ft=newest&v=a&dir=2285355&rd=1964532&i=4006406
    As always it is a question of definition: the car certainly is NOT a Porsche like the No.1 Roadster that marks the beginning of Porsche as a company... But actually the discrtiptions say it is the first car to have the Porsche name on it, but it still is a VW. Porsche is simply denying it being the first Porsche.
    In my opinion Porsche should have bought that car years ago and present it for what it is: a part of the Ferdinand Porsche history alongside the Cisitalia, Austro Daimler or the early Beetle they have on display...
    And let´s face it: PR wise it is not only bad for RM but also for Porsche...

Timmmmmmmmmmy and Jack-the-lad like this.
  3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thank you for the insight, Marcel. That is quite interesting.

Jack.

pilotoCS likes this.
  4. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    So, per this information, if it was offered anywhere from 9-11MM USD, and there were no takers, how did it go unsold at $17MM?

Me thinks there is a ruse upon our hands!

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  5. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    It's certainly not the only lot that had been available prior to Monterey, where the auction house clearly over-promised to the seller in order to secure the consignment and then failed to deliver.

6. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    sure, but that delta is large...and for the bid to go on?

7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    There was zero bid, none. Not a single one.

Marcel Massini

TTR, 375+ and 19633500GT like this.
  8. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    That seems like a horrible business practice, and since I don't know what they may of promised the owner/estate, I can only speculate the greed is outstanding, and their "bid" was hoping to save face for both the auction house, and the car, and in that manner, what despicable behavior from both parties.

9. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Check the link in post #232.
    "Chandelier bidding" is biz standard for some but not for all auction houses. Not just automobile auctions, all objects. No surprise at all.

Marcel Massini

TTR, 375+ and Timmmmmmmmmmy like this.
  10. KenGoldman

KenGoldman Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    Gentlemen: Per my comments on Link # 150:

In going to auctions for over 50 years, I am 99.5% certain that there was no "High Bid" there. The terms of the auction state that the auctioneer can bid up to the reserve by placing several consecutive bids on behalf of the seller. So even though we heard 13, 14, 15, 16, there could be no actual bids at all. The reports that state "High Bid of 17" means nothing at all.

I have written to various magazines telling about this. If you listen to the opening statements of the auctioneer, they say:

"The auctioneer may open bidding on behalf of the seller by placing several consecutive bids or by placing bids in response to other bids up to the amount of the reserve."

The statement of "High Bid was XXX" does NOT mean that there were any real bidders. It is very misleading when the report states "The high bid of XX should have been enough for a sale" or similar.

Many times there is no one bidding---and the auction company can get away with it because of the terms written in the catalog & explained (Usually quite quickly) by the auctioneer before
    the sale actually starts. Next time you are watching an auction, listen CAREFULLY to the opening comments.

Ken Goldman

TTR and 375+ like this.
  11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Coincidentally my copy of the current Panorama (Porsche Club of America's excellent magazine) arrived today. The Type 64 is the cover car and gets no less than 14 pages (!) of coverage. The article is very informative and the photography is first class. Apparently the car's shepherd at RMS was Marcus Görig.

375+ likes this.
  12. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Great explanation Ken. Few on this forum seem to comprehend this.

KenGoldman, Nembo1777 and TTR like this.
  13. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Then you add in the number of friends/associates of the seller bidding up to just below the reserve..makes you wonder where the real market is for a whole lot of cars.

Parnelli likes this.
  14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I agree. I still think the guy from Texas last year at RMS Monterey paid too high on the CLK-GTR he got for $4.5. He was very vocal during bidding the car was "coming to Texas." I had a feeling the competing bids were placed by someone on the auction house/buyer's side to get it up to that...

DRYHOLE and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  15. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Once you take the speculators/flippers/dealers out of the auction room who is left?

Maybe some very wealthy folks who can pay whatever if they really want it .

Anyone there to just buy and use it ? You know, the average car guy.

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Plus alcohol. Lots of that around. :)

17. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #243 miurasv, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Shill bidding for car auctions, or any auction, should be banned and is actually prohibited on Ebay. However, although people have been prosecuted in the UK law courts for shill bidding on Ebay, I do not know the extent to which Ebay enforce their own rules regarding this practice.

Ebay shill bidding policy.

FF4X4 and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  18. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    The auction houses have been known to place a couple of shill bidders in the audience creating active bidding back and forth between the shills trying to suck in a legit bidder that’s usually fueled by a few drinks and an ego to impress his weekend showpiece.

sperry and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  19. hans2

hans2 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2011
    Charlotte
    But with an opening bid of $30MM (per the board and his then still clear pronunciation) he was well past the presumed reserve, and all thus all subsequent fake bids to $50-$70MM were a violation of their own service terms. While there's an uncomfortable tolerance for the house bidding to reserve, anything beyond that, as occurred here, should be countered with some type of disciplinary action. Perhaps auction license suspension.

20. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I’m not sure whether anyone in the market for a Ferrari qualifies as an “average” car guy, but...

...having been to just a handful of auctions, I’ve already encountered some folks who were looking over cars carefully (often with a consultant in tow), then put in bids, and on at least one occasion that I noticed, actually got a car.

I accidentally caught the recording of the Mecum Daytona bidding, and the guy who won there looked very much like someone who just bought the car for his personal use/collection... I can’t speak to whether he fell into the “very wealthy folks” category, but wealthy folks can be “car guys” too... :)

sperry likes this.
  21. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    That is a tangible hair cut; as I said, I imagine there is some remorse at the no-reserve. Hope the car does not show-up at some dealer, and then sell for an extra $50k-$100k-or-something...

That said, I tend to think of “time capsules” as something that is sort of a preservation-class car, and a full repaint basically disqualifies this car. Also, looking at the pics more carefully, it seemed pretty clear that the engine bay had been redone, and books/tools also looked like a bit of a mish-mash. The unremarkable selling price would seem to indicate that the folks who were bidding viewed the car as “partially restored, and in need of more work to make perfect,” rather than a “time capsule.”

Probably not completely fair, because I agree that the car looks like it is “all there” and “not mucked with,” and that is certainly not true of a lot of cars.

22. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I know the buyer. Car will not be showing up at a dealer in a few months as it is going to a pretty significant collection.

23. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    I agree with the sentiment but I recall a Sports Car Market article a decade ago that noted it was illegal in Arizona where Scottsdale was then almost as big as Monterey with Barrett Jackson selling $100 mm worth per year. I understand that state law in New York where the majority of the multi billion modern art industry is it is still illegal despite Chuck Schumer trying to get a law banning it enacted but the auctioneer must post notices in the room stating it is being used. I am trying to check what California state law says.

24. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    The 275 GTB 08603 sat for sale at RM for over a year asking 2.3M. It now sold at the Monterey 2019 auction under 2M. It looked like a great car. Any reason it sold at this price? Seems like a good value?