Ground straps | FerrariChat

Ground straps

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrarium, Aug 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I am sanding down with a Dremel and a wire brush to get a good metal contact with ground straps to chassis and strap to whatever its bolted to like the oil tank itself then and adding new nuts. Any sense on which ground straps are more appropriate? There is coated 4awg wire and there is 4awg flat braided ground straps. Is it just a form factor thing?

1) Replacing the Oil Tank ground strap
    2) Adding additional engine to chassis strap

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I have both types on my car; a total of three:

Clutch housing to frame - coated wire
    Alternator to engine - coated wire
    Engine to frame - flat braided

3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I prefer the flat braided, because I like small metal shards slicing my hand when I'm working near a ground strap.

Subarubrat likes this.
  4. blue90

blue90 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It would be cool if Jegs or summit sold battery cable in line bullet connectors to make ecu reset and disconnect as simple as the melting fcar originals.

My positive battery cable uses a Miller welding disconnect since the original broke apart. No issues it works great but you have to deal with fitment and set screws to these areas. I prefer to solder battery lugs over crimp for best connection. The dremel works great on bolt spots.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

5. blue90

blue90 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This is the product I used to replace stock fcar bullet on positive wire, 300a.. !!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KG22DFG/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_EW1xDbR6KDP1T

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I weld. I suspect this is a 1/4 turn cam lock quick disconnect. While perfect for welding they are no designed to take car vibration. I would not use that in place of bullet connections. I would delete the bullet connectors. That is the solution we used successfully over a decade ago.

7. blue90

blue90 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That's agreeable except it has not shown any deterioration in 4 years of service. If you pad the bracket it rests under the air box vibrations set screw are minimized, no? Agreed the solid cable is best solution of continuity but worldwide laziness wants a disconnect button.

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Qavion likes this.
  9. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The one you showed may not be capable of handling the starter motor current which can go up to some 300-400 Amps. There is a much bigger Durite 0-605-60 but even this one is 250 A which I would not use on the battery main cables either.

What I have done on my 348 is installed an isolator for the two smaller size red cables that are connected to the battery positive terminal. When this cables are isolated, all power to the "grid" is disconnected. In this case, a 150 A isolator (better ~ 200 A) is sufficient. What remains connected to the battery is only the alternator and the starter motor. Neither of them draws any current from the battery so isolating the mentioned two red cables is also good for preventing any slow battery drain during car's prolonged sitting.

For very easy disconnect/connect, I have installed a Tyco 190 Amp (1500 Amp brief peak) latching relay which I operate with two momentary push switches, a red one and a black one. The big advantage of using a latching relay is that, when switched on, it does not consume any power (unlike the standard relays) so it does not introduce any additional current draw from the battery.

Qavion likes this.