1985 Ferrari 308 QV - Gearbox Oil Check and Refill | FerrariChat

1985 Ferrari 308 QV - Gearbox Oil Check and Refill

Discussion in '308/328' started by robo330, Aug 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robo330

robo330 Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Karl Robertson
    I am sorry to try and resurrect this thread but, I have been unable to find the old one!
    The question is how do I check the oil level in the Gearbox without draining it first? Also is there another place to refill the gearbox from other than the plug in the sump at the bottom / side of the alloy pan?
    I have completed the Engine Oil and Filter replacement, and know that I do not have to change the Gearbox Oil, but was wondering, if I had to, what would I do? Thanks.

2. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Post #12 in this thread lists one set of correct steps:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12621&highlight=gearbox+oil+change+308

Here's what I do (the extra pint is optional):
    - Qty: 4.5-5 qts (fill txfr case until comes out grbx fill, +1 more pint after gearbox fill plug is in)
    - Warm up oil. Remove LR wheel and liner. Keep car level.
    - Remove txfr case fill 12mm hex plug
    - Open gearbox fill 12mm hex (if oil drains from gearbox fill then possible shift shaft seal leak or was overfilled last time)
    - Drain txfr case - 19mm socket, drain gearbox - 10mm hex. Let drain 1 hour.
    - Replace drain plugs, 22x28 Cu washer gearbox, 22x27 washer txfr case
    - Fill with funnel to txfr case, with funnel sitting in the coil area, add 4.5 qts then wait 15 minutes to seek level, then fill rest until comes out gearbox fill
    - Replace gearbox fill plug, 22x28 washer
    - Add 1 more pint to transfer case then replace plug, 22x27 washer
    - Torque all plugs 20-24 ft-lb or ¼ turn past contact

moysiuan likes this.
  3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    To check gear oil level, assuming your car is on a flat surface, undo the bottom side plug of the gearbox and you should see the gear oil come out, not pouring out but just small amount and that should tell you that you have the proper level/amount.

Pic below show where I and most people here fill the gearoil at. 4 1/2 qts is adequate.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Mike's method is the one I follow. You don't even need a drip; with the cap removed, dip the tip of your finger in the hole. If it gets fluid on it, the level is perfect.

5. robo330

robo330 Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Karl Robertson
    I am sorry to sound a bit confused, because I obviously did fill my Gearbox with oil some time ago after I bought the car. I changed the Engine Oil at the same time.

Here is my dilemma - there are 3 Plugs on the underside of the Engine Assembly. 1) A 12.0mm hex head Plug goes into the Alloy Pan and says Olio - Motore, obviously the Engine Oil. 2) A 10.0mm hex head Plug goes into the Larger Alloy Pan (towards the rear of the car) says Olio - Cambio. This must be the Gearbox (?)
    3) A 10.0mm Plug at the bottom, goes into the left hand side cover that Mike has a picture of in #3. That is on the Driver Side of the Engine. I did not see the Top Fill Plug because I did not remove the LHS Wheel Shroud (fiberglass) - I did see the Plug at the bottom though...

I have drained the Engine Oil, and re-filled with close to 9 quarts of new oil. Step 1 done. I guess I don't have to change the Gearbox Oil, but if I did, which of the other 2 Drain Plugs (10.0mm) should I undo? Does the Engine share some oil with the Gearbox? And then is there a separate cavity for the Gearbox? Thanks for your help!

6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #6 miketuason, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Richqv and 27811 like this.
  7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Have a look on the mondial section, there are some good pics on it which might be similar, also some good info

8. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    The first pic is the level hole .
    You remove that plug and fill it ( gearbox ,tran axle , dropdown gears ) from the 22 mm filler plug on top of the drop down housing access from removing the inner fender shied .

Patiently pour it in via a funnel from the top wedged between the distributor and oil filter .
    There’s a small communication hole that connects the drop down “ box “ to the gear box so it eventually seeps into the gearbox .
    When it’s at the right level it then pours out of the level hole .Wait a few mins for it to settle then replace the plug .
    Do all this on level ground .
    So jack up the right rear wheel to remove , to remove the inner fender cover .Then put the car back at the same height without the wheel on so you can get to the filler plug and ck the level plug drain out .
    It’s best practice to loosen the filler and level plug before dropping the emptying plug and emptying the pan .

New crush washers and if the plugs are tight , heat and penetrating oil will need to be used .

More pics here
    http://www.birdman308.com/service/Gear_oil/gear_oil_change.htm

9. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    #9 Portofino, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    This bit 2nd row up from the bottom

“- Add 1 more pint to transfer case then replace plug, 22x27 washer.”

The transfer case or I call it the drop down box - same thing - I understand has a small communication hole with the main gearbox .
    So your extra pint added after closing the rear facing level plug will raise the gearbox level .
    This makes opening and viewing the level plug for the correct box fill height redundant and meaningless .
    You are effectively overfilling the gearbox .

Or have I missed something?

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/308-gearbox-oil-change-confusion-sorry.87771/

10. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    The gear oil change procedure is clearly described in the Owner's Manual. In my 1983 QV Owner's Manual, it is on pages 83 and 84. It has drawings of the various plugs and describes what to do. Also, under "Lubricants and Liquids" (Page 21 of my manual) a small schematic is shown of what full "looks like" (see below).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. robo330

robo330 Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Karl Robertson
    Thank you guys! All done and we are good to go now. Appreciate all your help and again, thanks!

Karl Robertson