Foot pain? | FerrariChat

Foot pain?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by rdefabri, Aug 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I've been weight training for over 30 years, and have done Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for 5 years (I slowed down a bit about 5 years ago).

I'm 50 years old, very muscular (weigh 207lbs, I'm 5'6"). Of late, I've had a lot of pain in my left foot. I know I'm flat footed, and I saw a podiatrist that said I have no breaks (x-rayed my foot), and it's all due to the flat feet.

I did some research and it seems he was right. Pain gets worse when I sit or lay down, but when I stand / walk around, I'm usually ok.

It was likely caused by squatting pretty heavy while wearing completely beat up shoes (I'm a cheapskate and an idiot). I now need to walk around the house with Asics on or orthopedic sandals. Pain is still there, but I have good days / bad days.

I've had tendonitis issues for years, mostly in my arms. Anyone else have foot problems? It SUCKS!!!

2. FLGT

FLGT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 16, 2008
    Sounds like plantar fasciitis. Try sleeping with your foot in a specific night splint for pf.
    Looks kind of like a ski boot and stretches foot while you sleep. That and ice and advil

davem likes this.
  3. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Could it be a Morton’s Neuroma? Does having a metatarsal pad help the pain?

I had one. Could be temporarily alleviated by cortisone shot, but ultimately had the surgery. Been much better ever since, though I still make sure to wear wide shoes and have an insert with metatarsal pad.

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I have had similar foot issue. Wear green superfoot insoles in all footwear and wear foot ware at all times except sleeping. Problems went away in two weeks.

6. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    is it in the heel? Plantar fasciitis is pretty distinct (it happens when you sleep and then gets better when you walk around) and totally sucks. I got it last year and it took me way to long to go to the pod and find out what it was. Then I didn't do what was needed to heal it. Finally the pain got so bad, I took it more seriously and did the typical things (inserts, no bare feet, no flip flops, night brace) and its essentially heeled now (pun intended). Fwiw, I have flat feet too, so I have always had to use inserts and wear merrils and similar with strong arch support.

7. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Can't entirely pinpoint it - seems to be on the sole, but when I get up, the ankle is even a little stiff.

When I walk around with sneakers on that have arch support, no pain at all.

I don't think it's a neuroma or anything that would require surgery. Podiatrist was adamant it's from flat feet. Wearing the inserts in my shoes has been helping for sure.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  8. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    A couple of thoughts. First, have you read Born to Run? Great book on how modern shoes and poor technique have created foot problems. Highly recommend it even if you mostly lift because the importance of how we workout is addressed. The long distance stuff probably won’t help your current situation. Second, are you familiar with Muscle Activation Technique? Again, how we workout, sit, work, etc is the cause of our injuries and we need to do micro exercises to turn muscles back “on.” Google Payton Manning Muscle Activation Technique. Third, in the short term have you tried a wooden dowel roller, lacrosse ball, or golf ball on your feet? It’ll hurt like heck when you’re doing it, but will loosen things up and relieve pain in a week if you do it three times a day. Good luck. I was on a similar situation in 2011 after training for a marathon. That’s when I learned that “good” running shoes promote heal strike running which causes planters, shin splints, hip fractures, and a host of other problems.

9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I had a Morton’s Neuroma back in the early 90s. At the time, I threw out all of my shoes and boots that weren't fitted properly. After that the neuroma went away pretty quickly and hasn't come back yet.

I know several others who went for the surgery instead.

10. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    This worked for me, too. I put Dr Scholl insoles in my shoes and the problem quickly disappeared.

11. buenavides1

buenavides1 Rookie

Sep 1, 2019
    Full Name:
    Calvin
    Plantar fasciitis is one of the most common causes of foot pain. It results from irritation of a thick band of tissue, called the plantar fascia, that runs across the bottom of your foot.

12. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    I had foot pain after I started running. Changed my running shoes to Newtons and that made a difference. The biggest difference was wearing Birkenstock Bostonians. I wore them around the house, running errands on the weekends, etc. They are ugly AF but really helped with the foot pain. I no longer have the foot pain - so no more Birks either.

13. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    accupuncture fixed my PF.

14. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    you have collapsed arches..
    you must raise the arch back to prime spot.
    I us 2 sets of dr scholls..1 on bottom cut small to tuck under second one .cut one goes under arch just for prop up.
    cured me in a few days...using like this for 10 years.