DeTomaso P72 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

DeTomaso P72

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by tomgt, Jul 4, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #26 miurasv, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    De Tomaso started off as a racing car company, albeit with very limited success. I believe they produced cars for various classes of formula racing including F1. Piers Courage was actually killed in a De Tomaso F1 car. The P70 was a racing car and the Pantera was certainly raced in the seventies.

Boomhauer likes this.
  2. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Yes, I am quite familiar with their previous racing history. The P70 was a essentially a stillborn race car- it didn't finish a single lap in the one race it entered. My statement remains as it relates to the P72- different brands focused on different things.

3. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Never understood the marketing appeal of having your multi million hyper-car lose to cars that cost a fraction compared to yours.

Boomhauer likes this.
  4. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    A fraction? The Porsche RSR is priced similarly to the SCG and when the racing career is over the SCG can then be converted for the street, unlike the Porsche. That's the appeal.

5. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    That’s because Porsche already have a street 911 that cost a fraction of the price and that doesn’t need the cost and hassle of conversion. What’s more you get a whole new car for that price on top of pretty much the same racing creds in the eyes of most people.

technom3 and tomgt like this.
  6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

How much is an RSR? I thought they were 800k?

7. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    The RSR is a 911 in shape only- they're not even rear-engined. The GT3R would be closer for your comparison.

I thought they were ~$1.3m, but I could be mistaken.

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Isnt a glickenhaus above $2m? Or is that the road car only?

9. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    JG really needs to enter the hypercar lemans series as he said for many years while Detomaso already have a known name.
    Looks-wise don’t fancy either of their last supercars; P4/5 is still the most beautiful by far.

10. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I been on a rally with the P4/5 participating (a masterpiece imo) and I see no similarity with the P72. You can play that game with lots of cars. I think the P72 is gorgeous. I can do with out the Talbot bullet looking mirrors.

JAM1 likes this.
  11. Sarc

Sarc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    USA
    Exactly. Ironic given his company's (cough cough) original designs....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    15th August debut for the US
    Pebble Beach
    P72 meets P70

Would JG be invited? Would be nice to have P4/5 next to P72 on the lawn

And all are happy

Boomhauer likes this.
  13. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    He'll be there with Modulo.

14. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I've been casually looking into ordering a P72 the last few weeks. The issue I have is sending a relatively unproven company in China a million bucks with hopes it will actually be built and delivered. Aside from Gumpert what else have they done and with how much success? Don't get me wrong - it's a beautiful car and seems impressive with a manual to boot, but that's a leap I'm just not willing to make as of yet.

15. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Probably too late to order anyway, was told, the WW allocation been sold out.

16. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    In my experience, that's almost never the case ...

technom3 likes this.
  17. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    seems like a lot of car for the money

18. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    I saw this car in person and spoke with one of the leaders who is representing this prototype from Hong Kong. To me, it is too much bling for 1M. In future, these cars can be ordered to owners tastes, i.e., colors, options, LHD, which is great.

He said car is sold out globally and received “thousands” of applications for to 72 planned to be produced.

Attached Files:

19. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I love it. I understand people not liking the rose gold and obviously they would finish it differently upon reqest. I think the shape is gorgeous and it sounds AWESOME. I heard it was only 750k. I don't know if I believe they have thousands of applications... but I can easily see a thousand people wanting this. at 750k... Id rather have 5 of these than a chiron. but I am crazy

ccferrari and Boomhauer like this.
  20. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    I agree about your Bug reference and the uniqueness of the De Tomaso. Correct, easy to get thousands of applications. That I call tire kickers.

For the 1M reference, I was told in US with options it gets to 1M. I just don’t know if that includes US DOT federalization and import duties. Or person was not fully informed, yet. The first production one has not been built in the UK, yet.

21. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    I also saw it/heard it at 'Dream Ride' in Farmington CT on Sunday. (along with Jesko and Batista). Jesko is just siiick, but $3.5 mil.
    What engine is in the car? it sounded like a V12. Carbon tub and Ferrari V12 for under $1 mil? hard to believe. Too good to be true?

22. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005

23. vegasoul

vegasoul Rookie

Apr 26, 2016
    I was allocated one of the 72. HK owner is a friend. Apparently, you have to vetted and I am in the company of some very distinguished collectors.

I was trying very hard to convince him that they should keep everything very simple and use minimal technology and generic parts.

I told him no one Is buying his car for cutting edge technology and he have the unique opportunity to buck the trend of planned obsolescence. None of the ferraris and mclarens today will be maintainable in even 10 years and he is creating issues for himself and his clients by making the car complicated. We need a renaissance of 1960 tech.

The engine should definitely be NA. I don’t care about the horsepower at all.

tomgt and Mang like this.
  24. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Any updates?

Vegasoul, I tried to PM you but couldn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    I believe only the first maroon car had a v12 (same as the Apollo IE which it is based) . Others are Ford supercharged Coyote V8's.

Clearly a V12 :D

Clearly NOT a V12 :) :cool: