For Sale - 1976 FERRARI DINO 308 GTS TOOL KIT WITH TROUBLE LIGHT | FerrariChat

For Sale 1976 FERRARI DINO 308 GTS TOOL KIT WITH TROUBLE LIGHT

Discussion in 'Ferrari Parts & Collectibles' started by Rencorp, Aug 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rencorp

Rencorp Rookie

Aug 13, 2019
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Rencorp
    Tool kit in very good overall condition, particularly the outer wrap. The tool wrap snaps are shiny and functional, no rust. Minor corrosion on some of the screwdrivers and wrenches as shown in photos, but minimal staining of the tool wrap inner canvas liner. The pliers are the correct style right down to the grips flaring just before the jaws, but are blue, not red. The trouble light is in as new condition, both the carrying case as well as lamp, plug in, and cord - I do not believe they were ever used. I have more photos of the trouble light taken if you wish to see it in more detail. $1500.00 shipping included.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

myronx19 likes this.
  2. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    PM me or email when you can.
    Alden

3. Rencorp

Rencorp Rookie

Aug 13, 2019
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Rencorp
    Rookie here. I received this toolkit along with the owners manual / warranty book also listed for sale here. I assumed they were for the same car. I have been informed by a gracious member that the tool kit and trouble light are more likely to be correct for a late eighties 308 / 328 motor car. Please accept my apology for the listing error. I will correct the ad when I figure out how to edit it properly ! If the pricing for the items is out of round with reality for a late eighties tool kit, please PM me to explain. Thank you to any and all in advance !

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    It's slightly more complicated than that...

Datation of the tools is childishly easy: the tool roll comes from a 1984-1985 308 Quattrovalvole:
    1. The spark plug tool has the larger crown for the 14 mm plugs of the 3,0 engine, so it is NOT from a 328 (which has a smaller crown for 12 mm plugs that the 3,2 engine was the only one of the 3x8 series to use)
    2. deep red-brown translucent handle screwdrivers without white "Ferrari" script on the handle are also typical of QVs; most 328s have the same screwdrivers, BUT with the white "Ferrari" lettering on the handle.
    3. the "T" auxiliary window handle is to be found only in late 308 QVs (1984 or 1985); not in 328 tool rolls (a very small number of the very early 328s did indeed have the emergency plug for the crank in the door, but apart from these very early cars, the 328s did not have the plug in the door, so the 328 tool roll did not have an emergency window crank)
    4. the blue handled pliers are also to be found ONLY in 1984-1985 QVs.

However (and I am slightly annoyed for what I am about to write...)...I'm not sure you have a period-correct set of wrenches; I can't see the brand on the other side of the handle, but to me they look like "Polytools" which would mean that the wrenches came from a 1981-1982 tool roll (Ferrari, but probably 2 valve injected GTB"i"/GTS"i" not a "QV"), and are out of sequence with the "T" auxiliary window handle and the blue pliers.
    Note that the wrenches are not from the same design than the combination wrench, which is an "Utema", and is correct for the period, and in harmony with the "T" emergency window handle and blue pliers...

Rgds

375+, dinoart and VetroresinaNL like this.
  5. Rencorp

Rencorp Rookie

Aug 13, 2019
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Rencorp
    Thank you for your expertise, it is revealing and concise. It is apparent that based upon your knowledge, that this is probably a correct tool kit for a 1984-1985 308 Quattrovalvole, with the correct pliers - IF the wrenches are correct as well. All of the open ended wrenches in the kit are marked with "Ferrari" script only on the other side. Only the combination wrench is marked "Utema". Your commentary regarding their origin would be greatly appreciated. Regards, from a rookie to a veteran.

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well...basically, and trying to remain concise (see the thread "unofficial 308 tool roll specification" by Piezo/Steven in the 308/328 section (link at the bottom of my answer) for more details if you want to swallow thirty pages or so...).

The principle:
    The tool rolls and tools for the 308/328 family evolved more or less in synchrony with the change happening to the car itself (= one different tool roll version for each version of the car: carbed, two-valve injected, four-valve, 328), but with some slight overlap from time to time (= "older" tool rolls in a small number of "newer" cars).
    Inside the different tool roll versions slight variations might occur, and also you have some very typical tools which are really specific to some steps in production, and really tell-tale allowing you to precisely date the tool roll: the blue sheath handled pliers you have being typical: only the 1984 and 1985 QVs ever had these. "Utema" wrenches also are tell-tale of a 1984/1985 tool roll.

To sum it up, even if this does not explain everything: you have some very typical tool rolls that are definitely corresponding to one step of the production, BUT you also might have from time to time an oddball here and there, because the factory might have run out temporarly of the typical type and thrown another tool roll in, that was waiting somewhere on a shelf.

As for the tool roll you have:
    It is the tools inside that are not coherent to my eye, and especially the seven open-mouthed wrenches:
    The screwdrivers, combination wrench, "T" handled emergency window crank, pliers and spark plug tool are all perfectly matched together and definitely belong to a 1984/1985 (=late production) 308 QV. Not earlier, not later.
    The seven "open-mouthed" wrenches are from an earlier tool roll. Late production QVs (= 1984/1985) had either "Kravm" (the most common) or "Utema" (less common, but seen from time to time) wrenches. The serie of eight wrenches (seven open mouthed ones, One combination wrench intended for the spark plug tool) was always completly matched: same brand, same markings on each side of the handle.
    The seven "open mouthed wrenches" you have are from a different brand, and from a different design, than the combination wrench. All eight wrenches should be the same (= either all eight being "UTEMA", or all eight being like the open mouthed you have).
    The combination wrench is an "Utema", which is absolutely coherent with the rest of the tools, as "Utema" wrenches were used by the factory ONLY for late production 308 QVs. The seven others look like "Polytools" to me, which would be coherent for 1981-1982 cars. But when used for 1981-1982 cars, these "Polytools" wrenches had a matched combination wrench of the same design, and same markings.

In other words: even if that would by slightly odd, I wouldn't flatly reject the perspective that these wrenches might have been used for a 1984 tool roll by the factory (Never say never with Ferrari...) IF the combination wrench was of the same design.
    Any original serie of wrenches is always of the same brand and design: either all marked as the open-mouthed one; or all as the combination wrench (= "Utema"). It is the mix of the two that I find at odds.

Carbed cars usually had "Everest" wrenches (made in India); 328s almost all - perhaps even all - had "Krawm" wrenches (of which there are two types, the common one, which is a shiny chrome finish; the rarer one, which is a dull chrom finish; they have subtle differences in the shape of the recess for the brand name that helps to distinguish 328-period "Kravm" from 348 and later production Kravm wrenches)
    "Utema" wrenches are specific to 1984 and 1985 QVs.

Happy to discuss further if needed. The whole "science" is here and really the result of F-Chatter "Piezo" (Steven) efforts:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/unofficial-308-tool-kit-specifications.505898/

Rgds

375+ likes this.
  7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    ...however, however, however...

Your tool roll might indeed be factory OEM after all: there is another one for sale here exactly identical, down to the same wrenches set! (Never say never with Ferrari...)
    https://www.classicferrariparts.co.uk/product/ferrari-308-qv-complete-tool-kit/

The original "Utema" wrenches that would be matched to the combination wrench are these:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-WRENCHES-UTEMA-N-1000-ITALY-TOOL-KIT-FERRARI/192890937285?hash=item2ce9321fc5:g:-JoAAOSwaC9acyYi

Rgds

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    We know tools!

You will have to "Report" your own first post to the Moderators to get the correction to your Ad header.

Of course (as we are saying) the main thing is to get the proper bits to fit your car.
    Spark plug wrenches (size) were changed with the spark plugs themselves, and the wrong one certainly does you no good.
    The handles are immediately identifiable, the later ones used the combination wrench to rotate ..

And as to the Emergency window crank, same thing, there's an "early and "late", and yours is a "late"...
    Poor 328 owners had no recourse at all but to fix the damn motor (or switch, or relay)….

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, oddly enough Alan, the windows just work fine on 328s. I don't know if the factory changed something to the motors, or cable and pulleys, but on 328s the windows are not the problem they are on 308s.

Rgds

10. Rencorp

Rencorp Rookie

Aug 13, 2019
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Rencorp
    Final price change to $1000.00 including shipping to your door.

11. Rencorp

Rencorp Rookie

Aug 13, 2019
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Rencorp
    Price is $1000.00 including insured shipping to your door.

12. Rencorp

Rencorp Rookie

Aug 13, 2019
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Rencorp
    Price is $800.00 including insured shipping to your door.

13. Rencorp

Rencorp Rookie

Aug 13, 2019
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Rencorp
    Bumped for spring. $750.00 shipped to your door.