Insurance on 458 Italia | FerrariChat

Insurance on 458 Italia

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by IndianaNative, Jul 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IndianaNative

IndianaNative Rookie

Jul 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    OldJohnBoy
    I am considering the purchase of a 458 Italia and found an interesting article on insurance. I believe that it was written a couple of years ago. It compared the cost of insuring a 2015 458 Italia (among other models) through a "regular" insurer versus an exotic/collector car insurer such as Hagerty.

I was interested in the comparison between State Farm and an exotic/collector car insurer. For a 2015 458 Italia it showed a cost of around $8,500 with State Farm and a cost of around $3,000 with an exotic/collector insurer. The conclusion was that the cost to insure a 2015 458 Italia was about 65% less by going with an exotic/collector car insurer.

I am wondering if owners on this forum have found anything similar to this difference in the cost to insure, and, do most of you insure through an exotic/collector car insurer?

Thanks for your input.

2. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    I just got a quote for my new 458 on Friday from a exotic/collector insurer and it was $4500 if car is to be driven 3,000 miles per year and $5800 if its to be driven 6,000 per year. Going to shop around a bit to see how it compares to others, but interesting about regular insurers. They probably dont take the whole limited driving into account the same way as the exotic insurers?

3. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I’m with State Farm , paying about 3 grand for my 2018 488 spider.

4. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Make sure you're comparing apples to apples, AND deductibles have a huge affect on sticker shock. Until I moved to mental position that $5000 deductibles were okay, I thought my 488 Spider was outrageous to insure. (OT: My 812 has dropped to "reasonable" with a cost of a few hundred dollars a year more than the wife's prius.) Actuarial tables aren't/can't be greatly different between national brands and specialty insurance. With all vehicle variables removed, I found homeowners + multicar discount pushed Hagarty out of the running by a long shot.

sampelligrino likes this.
  5. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I think non-Americans view this forum. I think people with two cars view this forum. I think people with 15 cars and a yacht on their policy view this forum. I think young people view this forum. Maybe old people too!

Your best bet is to take an hour of your time and call around. Our data points won't line up with yours. If you don't own a Ferrari yet, just find a Vin of one for sale, then call around yourself. That'll provide much more accurate numbers than me telling you what I pay. I will tell you I called at least five places. And the lowest quote was at least three times cheaper than the highest.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

SoCal to az and johnr265 like this.
  6. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    I pay much less than that with State Farm; I've been with them for over 20 years though.

7. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    CHUBB is $2k for my 458 in Florida.

Chizz and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  8. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    300/month state farm on '13 458 Spider, Arizona

9. IndianaNative

IndianaNative Rookie

Jul 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    OldJohnBoy
    OK, this is good to hear about State Farm. I insure my home and two vehicles with State Farm. I was planning on meeting with the State Farm agent, giving her the information on the 458 Italia and asking for a quote. Then I came across the article mentioned in my original post and thought maybe that I was missing something about where to insure.

10. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Not sure how it varies by state, but here in Massachusetts Geico was at least half the cost of other insurers -- and a quarter of what Liberty Mutual wanted -- albeit for a California T -- about $850 a year. Pleasantly surprised. This is with the typical coverage required by having an umbrella policy --- $250k/$500k/$100k liability -- $500 deductible and zero deductible glass. Two cars insured, no other policies. YMMV.

11. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    Ill have to check out State Farm as well being that Im also in Arizona. Have esurance right now for my Tesla Model S and my wife's Mercedes E300, been with them for years and havent shopped around, might move everything over to State Farm if the price is good. (assurance will not insure the Ferrari, its not even in their system as a vehicle to choose from in the drop down)

12. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    I just got insurance for my 2018 488 Spider from Met Life who also insures our 2 daily drivers. Replacement cost coverage with $1000 deductible for $100/mo.

13. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Chubb just quoted me $1349/yr for $175k agreed value, $0 deductible, unlimited mileage for the 2013 458 I just acquired.

PhilNotHill likes this.
  14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I find all the responses somewhat interesting. Everyone is just quoting I paid this or I paid that, with this company or with that company.

Seriously its NOT just the premium and deductable that are the factors. I have been educated that the car policies are different in the States to ours over here.

To make a fully accurate decision I would be asking What will I be getting with the insurance.

For new cars if your car is involved in a write off will they replace the car with a new one of the same spec or give you the full amount you paid for it ?

Is there any limit in $ to the policy ? Will your insurance pay the write off your car caused to say a 10 million dollar car Bugatti ?

Stolen ? Fire ? Vandalised ? hire car while yours is being repaired.

I believe over your way whether or not an accident is your fault or not you claim on your insurance ? That's ridiculous !

So there is more than just looking at the premium and deductable. Only focusing on those 2 aspects indicates to me most believe it wont happen.

Well it can and does. You just don't want to be on the receiving end without all the facts when it does happen :(

15. Marcello Mirabelli

Oct 31, 2018
    Full Name:
    Marcello Mirabelli
    Replacement Cost based on Actual Cash Value (ACV) or Agreed Value. This makes a BIG difference. If my 458 gets totaled I want to know what I'll be reimbursed versus some blue book value. Hagerty typically uses Agreed Value while most of the big name insurers use ACV. My insurance co (Amica) only does ACV and recommended Hagerty if I wanted a declared Agreed Value.

MANDALAY likes this.
  16. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Roughly 1500 a year each for my former 488 and current 720. Cincinnati insurance through a private broker and yes they do everything- house, cars etc

17. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    did you try pure?
    https://www.pureinsurance.com/

18. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

FF with State Farm,3000 miles,500 déductible 220 a month. Got no tickets, perfect record. Cali based

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    458 speciale(1000 deductible,5K miles per year)+ml63(500 deductible)+2 condo in NYC, age 29, total paying 389 per month.

20. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Two Ferrari and a lotus. Hargerty. Nice agreed value. About 500 a month

21. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Got to love when people quote insurance cost as if that's the only concern and the lower the figure is the better.

Insurance policy's are different depending on which country and some even which state.

To get any useful information one would quote value of car insured ( what you get if totalled , whether your fault or not ) and then the premium. Market value or agreed value. Also other things like what is the total amount you are covered just in case you hit a 10 million dollar car. Deductable. Will they cancel your policy and not give you a policy again if you have a write off. Are you allowed to take the car for repairs to your own selected repairer ?
    There is more to a policy than just basing it on the premium

Information like this makes sense.

A 2010 italia will be cheaper than a 2015. Mileage again a difference, etc.

I find people just look at the premium and only find out how bad their policy is when they claim.

Marcello Mirabelli likes this.
  22. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

That wasn’t what op asked so it’s not what ppl gave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Huracan $1800 a year $1000 deductible 5000 miles State Farm

24. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    ~$3k/yr for the 458, Travelers, 4 cars total.

25. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Indirectly it is. He quoted the difference between the 2 insurance companies.

He doesn't state all conditions of the insurance to be the same. To come to any logical conclusion between different amounts you have to compare apples with apples.

The cheaper one could possibly have added benefits that the dearer one hasn't, e.g sum insured.