F430 F1 pump, how often should it run? | FerrariChat

F430 F1 pump, how often should it run?

Discussion in '360/430' started by fc2, Apr 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    When I had my year 2000 360 I was quite used to the sound of the F1 pump priming the system when you open the driver's door... but once the car was in motion, I never heard it again.

With my '07 F430, I hear the pump run when I open the door but also multiple times when I'm driving the car. I definitely hear the pump run when I'm at a stop light/sign, but don't often hear it when I'm driving (likely b/c there's too much noise).

It doesn't run all the time, but for the same duration as when you first open the driver's door... but it does it again and again.

Is this normal or might I have a leak somewhere causing the system to re-prime itself? There are no fluids to be found on the garage floor or on the engine...

Do others here, with F430s, hear the pump run at stop signs or do I need to make another run to FoSV?

Thanks guys,

Frank

2. drmikethompson

drmikethompson Karting

Oct 7, 2006
    Jonesboro, AR.
    Full Name:
    Michael L. Thompson
    Frank,
    I have a 07 430 F1 and only hear the pump run when I open the door. If I have not driven the car in a week or two, the pump runs for about 5 seconds. If I just finished driving and reopen the door it runs for about 1 second since the pressure remains up. I usually run the car in race mode so maybe I cannot hear it while I'm driving!!! To play it safe, I would let the dealer hook it up and check it.

Mike

3. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I had an 05 and it only ran when i opened the door. In my 07, I also hear it from time to time while driving. Not often but definitely happens at other moments besides opening door.

4. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Get it checked, that doesn't sound right at all! There shouldn't be a reason to lose the prime on the system. By the way, this would never happen on my SMG M5 either.

Robert

5. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    This is normal. The system will periodically lose pressure and prime itself again during operation. Most owners only hear the pump when they initially open the door as the motor is not running.

6. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    This matches my experience with my '07 F430 F1 as well. If the pump runs while the car is running, I never noticed it.

Frank: Might want to call the dealership just to be safe. Or, maybe I should get my ears cleaned!

- Tim

7. F430Rod

F430Rod Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2007
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Rod
    On my 05 Ferrari, which I have had for about a year, I obviously would hear the pump when I would open the door. This was the only time I thought I have heard it.

Recently I have experienced the same issue where I am hearing the pump activate when I'm at a stop light/sign, but don't often hear it when I'm driving (likely b/c there's too much noise).

What I am thinking is that perhaps it is little low on the F1 tranny oil? I'm taking it in for a one year maintenance soon anyhow....new fluids all around. I'll report back to see if I notice if it has gone away or not.

8. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    I know this is an old thread but my F430 does the same. I recently had the EV2&5 hoses replaced at Ferrari as they cracked (shortly after I bought the car from them) but do notice the priming opening the door and when driving.

What was your outcome please?

9. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    The F1 system will pressurize regularly while driving, not just when you open the door. It needs to maintain pressure to do gear changes. If it does it all the time, it may have an issue. Mine (360) does it frequently as I think the accumulator is starting to go (and even with that, it is just a little extra stress on the pump). It's kind of difficult to hear over the engine so I think most people don't notice the sound of it pressurizing. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts throwing a light or starts leaking.

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If it was low on oil, it would be sucking air in, you would know about it then. Check it yourself with a flexible tape, should be 18 mm with the system charged

11. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast

Thanks for the suggestion.

How do you do this ?

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Get a 6 foot builders narrow flexible measuring tape- open the drivers door so system charges up.
    Then take the top off the f1 oil tank and put the end of the tape in, until it touches the bottom. Take the tape out and see what oil level you have on the tape. Around 18 to 20 mm is what i go by.

13. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    OP...this sound perfectly normal...I too have a 07 F430 and it will cycle on from time to time to maintain operating pressure..as the system is requested to shift from gear to gear operating pressure has to drop to move the actuator...as mentioned if the pump is running too frequently you may have some concerns that being said if you do not experience any operating errors don't worry about it..fluid level inspection would not be a bad idea just to be sure its full.
    Enjoy that wonderful vehicle.!

14. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Just to remind everyone, the original poster was 2008.

That being said the my F1 pump runs every two to three shifts on my 360 which is a 1999.
    I'm not concerned (YET!) Since it's been doing this for over year since I bought it and I've put over 5,000 miles on it with no issues.

15. greene08

greene08 Rookie

Dec 22, 2010
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    MITCHIN
    I’m new to the 430 F1 world and after having the car a few months and about 1,000 miles I hear the pump prime fairly often, too. Certainly when you open the door and at stop lights (less frequent at stop lights) and about every 2-3 shifts when I’m going slow enough to hear it over exhaust noise.

I just had the system serviced and accumulator replaced and it’s roughly the same as before so I’m fairly confident it’s normal operation but it does make a person wonder. The mechanic said the system is functioning as expected.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    2000 360

I replaced my accumulator and it cut down the priming time with door open and key on by more than half.
    It would take 10 seconds or so to Prime door open, key on another 10 to 15 seconds. Now with the new accumulator it's about 10 to 12 seconds total.

That being said, It's still primes every three shifts.

17. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    My F430 did the same - it was priming very frequently every few seconds and I suspect through the gear range. It went to Ferrari for service and they claimed all was ok - however after more complaining that it can’t be right it priming every few seconds they had it in again and found a solenoid valve that was faulty causing the problem.

my fear with that car was always based around the F1 system and sadly that’s what caused me to trade it - I ended up broken down in Scottsdale summer with fluid leaking all over the road - and an ediff error on the dash. Car wouldn’t start and I had to get towed.

turned out to be hoses linked to the F1 system that had spilt.

then after I got the car back from them repairing it it started smelling of fuel really badly, especially noticed it after driving but sometimes at traffic lights if windows were down.

Good luck