575 on the fritz :-( | FerrariChat

575 on the fritz :-(

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Chupacabra, Aug 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Due to a number of factors, I haven't been able to drive the 575 as much as I like to...so, the battery got a bit low. I plugged the tender in, and the battery is now showing as fully charged, but the car is acting batty and still will not start. When I turn the battery shutoff back on, the hazard lights are on, the window indexing will work on one side and not the other then switch, all lights, radio, panel lights up etc, but it just clicks and won't start.

Did I miss a secret reset code or something?! Hoping I don't have a fried ECU

2. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    All sorts of weirdness can happen with low batt. Prob a good idea to do a full reset via turning off the power supply all together (ideally over night) and following the reset procedure which is well documented in several threads here.

Good luck!

Ruben

3. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Everything I've seen for resetting requires starting the car, which will not happen :-(

4. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Yes, but it also starts with shutting all power off to allow for the ECUs to reset. I’d suggest it’s worth a try since it’s cheap and easy.

Ruben

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    what is the actual fully charged battery voltage with a free standing voltmeter?

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sure sounds like you need a new battery to me.

7. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Unfortunately someone borrowed my voltmeter! Terry, I'm hoping that's all it is. Heading to the store in a few!

8. motts

motts Karting

Sep 1, 2015
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I had a similar problem and my friend also tech(good one) replaced the relay on the pic and it all went away.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The turn/hazard relay caused a no start?

10. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Good to know, thank you!

Bought a battery but haven't had time to slip it on yet. Looks like the expansion tank needs to be moved to get the battery in and out?

11. motts

motts Karting

Sep 1, 2015
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Yes and the hazard lights were flashing. I also found some other post that related to that relay.

Qavion likes this.
  12. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    On the 550 it's not necessary to take it completely out, just unbolt it and leaving the hoses connected, move it aside.

13. motts

motts Karting

Sep 1, 2015
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I just spoke to my tech, after a dead battery the problem was in the inertia switch it was reset and it worked but the problem returned and was only solved after replacing that relay.

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Note that those hazard/turn modules are no longer available. They can be repaired, but I don't know if it's a simple resoldering of the pin contacts on the board in this case.

I still can't see the module interfering with the start. The inertia switch has to be activated before it is even linked to the fuel pump cutoff system.

Anyway, removing the hazard/turn module as a cause should be easy. Just unplug it.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v12/gt-group-2-seat/575m/front-passengers-compartment-control-stations.html

motts likes this.
  15. motts

motts Karting

Sep 1, 2015
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I found mine in ebay sold as is got lucky.

Qavion likes this.
  16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    For normal turn indication problems which are caused by the hazard/turn module, you would would just unclip the cover and resolder the contacts marked in the photo below. This will fix the problem in 9/10 cases.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Earlier car relays may have different components, but the same row of pins. The solder joints develop hairline cracks sometimes only visible under a magnifying glass. If you already have some solder and a soldering iron, it can save you hundreds of dollars. However, I don't think this will help in Mr. Chupacabra's case.

Alexander฿, Il Tifoso and motts like this.
  17. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Installed the new battery, all is back to 100%! I've never owned a car that gets quite that wacked out by an old battery!! :)

Qavion likes this.