I’m digg’n Texas | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I’m digg’n Texas

Discussion in 'Texas' started by PeterS, Aug 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Appreciate the above replies. I got back late last night and am knee-deep with work stuff but I'll revisit tomorrow to soak up the reply and reply.

I was surprised that the 103 - 104 temps simply did not cool off at night! I got to my hotel Wednesday night at about 10PM and it was still around 92-93oF! YIKES! I stepped off the plane in San Jose and was greeted with a nice 68oF. Felt SO good!

Funny story: My wife Melodie ventured out on Wednesday to scout Georgetown that we drove around the night before. What a cool little town. She went to their 'downtown' and dropped into a coffee shop / bakery. Sitting down was a group of four 'cougar looking' 40-something single moms chit-chatting. They engaged Melodie and she spend about two hours with them, all local girls. They proceeded to tell Melode that when they go into the grocery store in town, if they are in the mode to get frisky, they place a pineapple straight up in the cart basket of their shopping cart. This apparently gives the signal to any guy that may want to approach them for a romp! Has anybody heard of such a thing? They had Melodie in tears she was laughing so hard!

2. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    you can come in, but pls dont vote for stupid liberal **** and transform texas !

jimpo1, HardTen, Ryan S. and 4 others like this.
  3. VColin

VColin Karting

Aug 5, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Vince
    There's a good chance that was downtown G'town. It's a great area, weeknight or weekend. Open carry(alcohol), too!

4. VColin

VColin Karting

Aug 5, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Note to self: I need to tell my wife we'll order our pineapple online from now on.

VAF84 and Ryan S. like this.
  5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  6. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I'd be leaving California and all the liberalism at the door.

VAF84, HardTen, Ryan S. and 2 others like this.
  7. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Bwahaha........where’s the thumbs up icon?

8. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    The Rep I was traveling with on Thursday drove me through Bastrop. I was kinda shocked that it looked like my area here in Sonora. It had tons of pine trees and was on the Colorado river. I thought it was quite pretty.

9. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    The renovated older homes in the downtown area looked just like Los Gatos, CA (if anybody has been there, a very yuppie-gucci town). My thinking is the lower priced homes there that need a good fixing up may be a killer deal if there is an influx of people buying those homes to beautify. It looked like 30% of these homes have been upgraded with nice, tight landscaping, American and Texas flags on the front porch, etc. Very charming. My thinking is that my wife may accompany me if I venture out to the grocery store :eek:

Melodie fell in love with the town. Later on Thursday, we looked at a KB home track on the other side of the city. Being down for a brand new home, she pouted and said no way, she wants an older home in an established neighborhood.

VColin and wax like this.
  10. bbs911

bbs911 Formula Junior

May 31, 2007
    Dallas
    I don't want to scare you off but am a lifelong Dallasite. What you describe above is the difference here. It gets steaming hot in a lot of places during the day, but it just does NOT cool off at night like in most of those other places.

11. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Hope you find a place with a decent microclimate.

It could happen.

KB & their ilk will upsell features galore, but proper interior/exterior space will be sacrificed for the herd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    True, but after living in Memphis, I'd trade 10 - 15 F for lower humidity.
    T

13. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I don't remember what year it was, but the media lost its frickin' mind when we had something like 80 consecutive days of 100+ deg high temp. HELLO! When you have 49 consecutive days over 100 deg, one day at 99 deg (but it rains so the humidity is up and it feels like 105), then another 20 days over 100 -- IT'S EXACTLY THE SAME DAMN THING THAT HAPPENS EVERY YEAR! ;)

willrace and TexasF355F1 like this.
  14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    2011. What I remember most was that it didn't get crazy hot, but it never cooled off at night. It'd be mid 80s at dawn in our backyard.
    T

15. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    A pool will be mandatory. I'm good with jumping in to chill off which lasts 15-20 minutes, rinse and repeat. That would be quite nice.

BTW, you guys are pretty darn nice. Not once in this thread did anybody find some stupid thing to pounce on me for. This could be the 'New Silver Subscribed' for polite Gentlemen!

Thank you for all of your kindness and good posts.

Now back to my pineapple hunting in the grocery stores :p

VColin and Ryan S. like this.
  16. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Rant

*snicker*

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. u2fast

u2fast Karting

Mar 22, 2009
    bellaire
    Full Name:
    barry r
    Peter S, welcome to Texas. I live in Houston and work in the med center. However, the hill country is Gods Country. Bastrop is a nice town. Lots of old victorian homes still there, but its growing fast. Not as quiet as it used to be. Marble Falls all the way down south of Kerville is lovely. Either way, welcome to Texas. Im interested in a lake house on lake LBJ or maybe Buchanan. Barry

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  18. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Just stay away from the North shore of Lake Travis....ohhh its so terrible there...really horrible....stay down on the South side of L Travis....please

tomc likes this.
  19. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    The climate in Dallas is a lot better than it was in Georgia as well. Much less humidity.
    Basically jan-feb suck and July-aug suck. But all other months are good.

20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Jan & Feb?!? No way dude! Put some all seasons on that 'rrari & tear up the roads on the nice, dry winter days!
    T

21. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Now looking at the North Shore of Lake Travis :p

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  22. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Should have kept my big mouth shut!
    My sophisticated Reverse psychology didnt work....

23. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
  24. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    .....and either 1999 or 2000..... and 1980 AND 1981....... aaaannnnnd........

LOTS of people think that Texas has had a century-plus reputation for being hot once in the 1980s or 90s.

WJHMH likes this.
  25. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Our neighbors said the 1980 heat wave put the 2011 variant to shame.
    T