New 360 Owner | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New 360 Owner

Discussion in '360/430' started by rquad, Aug 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I have for 15 years used Optimate/Accumate conditioners. Partly because they come supplied with a Carcoon and also because I have never had any issues with one.
    On my Mondial I wired it to the battery directly using a connector that came with it. My F355 had a connection point pre-fitted as does my 360.

You asked about 'owner' plaque on your profile, https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/how-do-you-get-owner-designation.601602/

Congratulations on your new car purchase.

2. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    FANTASTIC looking car, beautiful example.

We recommend Granite Digital trickle chargers but FULL disclosure, we sell them at our dealership...http://www.granitedigital.com/

Again, congratulations, well deserved.

3. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    2nd that on Deltran. Have one on my 1999 Modena Coupe for several years now. No problems at all. It's hooked directly to the battery in the footwell. I had a Ctek on another car in 2008, which fizzeled and tripped the circuit breaker in the garage. Would have been no big deal except we were living overseas at the time and didn't come back for 3 months. The freezer in the garage had thawed out..... you get the picture. Yeech.

4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Congrats :)
    I'm not familiar with the 360 but if it's similar to the contemporary Ferrari you should have somewhere a switch to disconnect the battery (somwhere in the front trunk I guess) - that would be my prefered way to preserve the battery, using a charger only occasionnally. Just let the door open while swtching off so that the window will be moved down a little and will not risk impairing the gasket.

5. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Whenever I see these 'first timer' threads it brings back my own 1st time memories from long ago.

Well done and congrats on realizing your dream.

6. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I am 11 years as an owner of my 360. I still go into the garage just to admire it, gorgeous cars. Congrats.

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  7. philS

philS Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I've been using the cigarette lighter for years with no issues ... as far as charging. I have noticed over time that it wears out the port itself and it becomes sloppy. I like it because I can see the tender is plugged in and I don't drive away like that. But I agree on a 360 that behind the drivers seat or in the passenger footwell by the battery is a better location for the hookup.

There's a recent video on Harry's Garage about how he prefers the CTek and explains why (starts at 8:08)

8. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Congrats to you!! Beautiful car!!!

They are so much fun to drive so please do so often.

As mentioned, these cars are susceptible to electronic gremlins so I get a new battery every three years.

I consider it a consumable item.

9. MATEI GHELESEL

Nov 26, 2017
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    MATEI GHELESEL
    such a great car. love the black on the seats - nice accent.

10. Chris Iskander

Aug 15, 2018
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Absolutely gorgeous!!! Congratulations!!

11. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    Nice choice. Congrats.

After 5 years with my 360, I sometimes think about moving on to something newer.
    But then I go to a car event and see other possibilities and it reminds me...the 360 is just one of the best looking Ferrari’s.
    Thank you Pininfarina.

12. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Stunning, congratulations!

13. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    Again, I'm overwhelmed by the positive responses from everyone. Thanks so much for chiming in. I knew I had a beautiful car, but to hear it from other Ferrari owners really drives the point home.

14. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    Damn nice Ferrari. Looks like a clone of mine, but you have nicer looking seats.

The shop where I have all my work done put in a Granite unit in my car, and ran the wires from behind the drives seat, no battery connections. When I drive the car I unplug the wires, shove them back under carpet and go. One thing I did add, a timer. I only run the tender three hours a day, in one hour increments. This seems to keep the battery well charged. One of those one hour increments is at 6PM, so if I want to check to see if it is operating, I just go out and look at it. So far no problems. I think I had it installed in 2015.

Another thing to do is get a binder and put all your receipts for any work done to the car in that binder. Might even enter the cost information on a spreadsheet. That will come in handy if you sell, to prove what work you have had done to the car.

Do not know if your car has skid plates, if not put them on. Oh yes. If you think you do not have good front clearance, I strongly suggest you get out and check. If you ding up the lower front bumper, the cost to take the bumper off, fix the ding, replace the skid plates, repaint the whole bumper, and reinstall is about $4K. And that was for only a minor ding.

I you have not done so, find a good shop to have work done on your car. My definition of a good shop is: when you walk in all you see are Ferrari's, maybe some Maserati's , some of them have the 430 engines in them, and the mechanics all have 20+ years of experience working on Ferrari's.

Join the Ferrari Club of America, lots of information, lots of fun. They will be able to tell who is good, and who to stay away from.

Only one other thing. Is that your garage and is it really that clean?

Have fun.

CB

15. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    I installed the CTEK 7002 behind the driver's seat and plug it in whenever I know the car will sit more than a couple of days. Interesting factoid - I just met with another 360 owner yesterday who said he has no trouble going a couple of weeks between drives with no battery tender and no battery issues.

Never heard about the skid plates. Thanks. I'll check into that. But I've had zero issues scraping so far.

I did get a reference to a local indie mechanic who has experience working on race 360's. He comes highly recommended, and I plan to meet with him soon and check out the scene.

The garage is the seller's. I have a pretty cool garage, but it's not as clean, and takes a totally different direction than most Ferrari homes. Here are some pics:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I have a little work bench with electricity connected. We have a much bigger workshop elsewhere, but I wanted something for quick little jobs. Unfortunately it's become a catch-all that needs organizing...

I had the speed limit sign below custom made. Not only is it the (false) factory top-speed rating for a 360, but I originally got the number from a Joe Walsh song....

Here's my gas pump and an artsy attendant...

And here's my GTO. This is the classic car I'd own if I didn't have my Nova...

This is the left-hand wall of the garage. The wood slats and tin roof are supposed to represent an old-time garage with the GTO in one of the work stalls...

The paraphenalia section has the original steering wheel and gauge cluster from my Nova, with original pictures of the Nova and me and my wife in our teens...

With the old-time garage theme, I put a men's room sign on the door that leads into the rest of our basement...

Finally, my wall of cars. All of these were gifts that I've collected over the years...

A friend of mine is supposed to rig up some sensors and electronics to run the traffic light. It will go from green to yellow to red as I pull a car into the garage.

DefunctNeurons and Apollo 11 like this.
  16. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Nice car! Love the Daytona seats. I have them too. Also +1 on the trickle charger. Even though you may be fine over a couple weeks you want to reduce load on the alternator. Mine came with a Schumacher tender on the battery, grounded plug. I run a flat extension cord out the drivers side since my garage is so tight. Forget about it sometimes and have ripped out at least 2 cords backing out of the garage. No damage to the car luckily ;) I now have a "Remove before flight" banner on my extension cord running across the cabin, out the driver's door.

17. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    Nice 360, and congrats! I miss my 360 and as some have said, it might be one of the best looking Ferraris of all time. Great color combo. The only thing I wish I could have found on my car is the contrasting Daytona seats! Enjoy!

18. richard.watkins@comcast.n

Jun 4, 2014
    Palm Springs CA
    Full Name:
    Rick Watkins
    I concur, this is what I use on my 360 Modena.

19. richard.watkins@comcast.n

Jun 4, 2014
    Palm Springs CA
    Full Name:
    Rick Watkins
    BTW, congratulations on your first Ferrari. My 6 gated 360 has been a very special car. It's solid and a load of fun on curvy roads. Enjoy in good health.

20. K10_Thakur

K10_Thakur Rookie

Aug 21, 2019
    Painted Post
    Full Name:
    Ketan Prakash
    Congratulations on the new Car..!!! The car looks in great shape. I had a question about how you financed your car and what price did you pay for it? Also, Did you get from direct owner or from a dealer. Thank you and enjoy. :)

21. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    So, we're getting a little close to my bubble space, but I'll try to play along...

I had the ability to pay cash for the car but I chose not to. I'm not super rich but I'm a super saver and the car wasn't all that expensive. I paid cash for all but $20k, and I financed that with a personal unsecured loan from my everyday bank. The rate was just under 6% on a 3-year loan, which is about the same other companies were charging for used cars purchased from an individual - which is what I did. You can get a 3% rate on exactly the same car if purchased through a dealer. Go figure.

Out the door, car, tax, title, one year insurance, everything - under $60k. Cheap for a 360, but it has 48k miles, so that really devalues the car.

I don't recommend financing toys. A lot of people feel different. But with my arrangement, my payment is low, I'm done in 3 years, and I have a stash left over in case major repairs are needed.

K10_Thakur and Apollo 11 like this.
  22. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    Drive it every day, smile a lot and you’ll never need the battery tender.

23. Gcolella

Gcolella Rookie

Jul 30, 2017
    New york
    I have a pig tail behind the driver seat and use a battery tender brand trickle charger .

24. Bob H.

Bob H. Rookie

Dec 30, 2018
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Just drive it regularly. Mine came with a battery tender but I've never used it :)

FLY360 likes this.
  25. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I used the cigar lighter socket for a long time with no issues, but decided some years ago not to roll the dice any longer. So, I wired the CTEK pigtail to the terminals behind the driver seat. I use a 7002 because it has modes optimized for wet cell and AGM batteries (but you’d need a special unit if you convert to lithium ion). Very convenient and easier to access for me than the passenger footwell.

Drove the car yesterday and it was a great reminder how much I enjoy this car, especially since mine is a stick and the only one left that I have that is so equipped.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat