Greatest F1 Drivers of all time using today's scoring method | FerrariChat

Greatest F1 Drivers of all time using today's scoring method

Discussion in 'F1' started by Sig. Roma, Aug 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Isobel, Jeronimo GTO and 375+ like this.
  2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Isobel and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  3. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    Guessing the analysis is based on a percentage of maximum points in a season... A manufacturer being as dominant for as long a time as Ferrari in the Schumacher era or Mercedes now just did not happen back in the day. In 1986 (picked a year on random) Prost won just 4 races out of 16, Mansell was runner up with 5 wins. Back to back championships were rare. Retiring from a race due to mechanical issues was fairly common. Any comparison of the current F1 with the old F1 is just invalid.

4. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    Mmm... definitely entertaining to watch.

But, Rubens a "greater" driver than Ayrton or Niki? Don't think so.

Bas, ricksb, stavura and 3 others like this.
  5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Very clever, but mere points accumulation does not equate with "greatness." And the exercise does not, as far as I can tell, account for much longer seasons and careers in the modern era.

Jeronimo GTO and Isobel like this.
  6. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Fun to watch up to maybe year 1995 or so, then it becomes depressing as driver longevity combined to team dominance allows second tier pilots to attain a stratospheric accomplishment level. I’ll stay with my own top 27 F1 greats through unabridged personal preference (aka wish I could have ridden with them for one lap at the Ring in a car of their choice).

Bas, Sig. Roma, stavura and 2 others like this.
  7. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Just a thought. If the golks who put this video together equalised all seasons to the current level number of races and did the same with driver placing, I wonder how things would work out? For example, if a season in the 1950s had 7 races, a driver won 3, finished 2nd 4 times, that season would be brought up to 21 races, 9 victories and 12 2nd places. How would results change?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app