Bedford, NY Radar | FerrariChat

Bedford, NY Radar

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Vito, Jul 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    Today, July 1, while driving through Bedford NY on RT 172 I passed a speed monitor on the side of the road that flashed a message about a radar fine. Is this legit? What is the town doing? Thanks for your comments, suggestions and recommendations.

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Maybe a speed camera? If so, at least the sign says to be expecting a ticket in the mail.

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i saw one on mclain, off of 172. not sure if they are legit. sometimes its on, sometimes its not.

4. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    If it's legit, how long does it take to get a ticket in the mail?

5. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    Can't quickly find any related statute, but believe there needs to be signage warning of such monitoring. In states I've seen the cams there's always warning signage. Are there any? I know they've done a traffic study on that stretch of road and found something like 80+% speed around 47MPH so they're trying the cameras based on NYC's "success". No idea how long the cam has been there, but maybe it's an educational campaign at this point.

6. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    Thanks for the comment. I will check the area to see if there is a warning sign.

7. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Coming soon to a theater near you...
    I hope not.

Over speed tickets are definitely a thing around schools (school zone), it's just a matter of time when communities realize they can bring in more revenue with automated ticketing. Radar camera system manufacturers are all to happy to deploy these units for no up front costs. In the end it's a money racket, just like red light camera. For right & wrong reasons everyone does it, there are many thoroughfares that have limits that don't even make sense. We need to go back to people being responsible for themselves instead of constant oversight. If I remember, if I have a choice I'm voting for candidates that are not fine zealots.

8. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    If it's like the red light cameras, at least it's just a fine. No points because they cannot prove who was driving.

9. Gum12345

Gum12345 Karting

Jul 8, 2017
    USA
    Does radar detector pick up these speed monitors?

10. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    hmm good question.

Copied from American Traffic Solutions website:
    Speed Safety Cameras
    There are multiple ways Speed Safety Cameras can capture violating vehicles: A speeding vehicle can be detected by sensors embedded in the road just before the speed-enforcement zone or by passing through radar or laser beams that span across the road.
    If a vehicle meets or exceeds the speed criteria established by the municipality, the system’s camera captures two images: one at the initial point of speed detection and a second confirmation image based on a fixed distance calculation.
    With each image, the system records relevant violation data such as the location, date, time (in tenths of seconds), speed and posted speed.
    The system also records a 12-second digital video of the violation.
    As with red-light running violations, trained law enforcement official must review all captured evidence of a potential speeding violation and approve the violation before citations are issued.

So it sounds like : No, a radar or laser detector can't / won't pick up the signal...

11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yes my 9500 picked it up from a mile away

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

12. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Ok , good to know.

13. Gum12345

Gum12345 Karting

Jul 8, 2017
    USA
    What band if you remember?

Also, are these monitors on local roads or highway?

Geez, practically can't enjoy our cars anymore. Might as well get a bicycle and lose some weight.

14. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    The monitor that I saw was a local road, route 172 in Bedford.

15. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    Drove past this site yesterday (7/6/18) and I did not see a warning sign indicating that such a radar device was in place. Also, the speed limit sign where the limit drops from 40 to 30 is partially blocked by vegetation and tree branches. The display screen is still in place and flashes "Warning" with speeds of 31 and 32 mph.

16. Dee Jay

Dee Jay Rookie

Aug 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Dee Jay
    Have you been issued a ticket for speeding there?

17. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    No, never received a ticket.

18. Dee Jay

Dee Jay Rookie

Aug 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Dee Jay
    Thank you for your response!

19. moss miller

moss miller Rookie

Jul 21, 2022
    Full Name:
    Moss Miller
    I just passed by this camera on July 21, 2022. Was trying to get some distance on a huge truck that had been tailgating me. I drive a small sedan now, and it is scary to have a huge vehicle tailgating you. Could not slow to 30mph in time and a sign lit up, "Photo". To avoid this if you are driving north, it appears seminary road (just before this speed camera) cuts over to RT 121 north of the village. I will let you know if I am mailed a ticket. For those not familiar with the roads in this area, they are now in worse condition than I have seen in over 40 years, although 172 was repaved between Bedford and Pound Ridge. The worst by far is RT134 heading East from 9a near Croton. It is a shame for those of us who love driving that the slightest inattention while touring this scenic area can result in a direct pothole hit that can damage a low-profile tire and wheel combination so common on the sports cars of today.

Alcav5 likes this.
  20. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al

Thanks for the heads up .

Often our car events drive through that area , while we try to be respectful, once in a while I'm sure our speeds inch over the limit.

21. ctml

ctml Rookie

Oct 27, 2020
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Not long ago, a police officer pulled me over for 'speeding' on the 121 up to North Salem. Even though I was travelling at the speed limit, the officer said he caught me doing 60 in a 35. I challenged him obviously and asked what evidence he had on me and he said he didn't have any, but used his 'skills and experience' to determine my speed. The most frustrating thing is, he issued me a ticket which then said he used a radar. I got in touch with an attorney and he said good luck, the police doesn't need to present evidence in court and its their word against mine and they will always win... Goes to show, you can be as careful as you want but if you're in a nice car you're automatically a target and a red Ferrari just happens to be a huge target.

22. cmlf1

cmlf1 Karting

Jun 22, 2005
    ctml and NYC Fred like this.
  23. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    yes, Casey is unfortunately my friend... :D