NEW MODEL KIT THREAD | Page 151 | FerrariChat

NEW MODEL KIT THREAD

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by F1tommy, Jan 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  2. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Recommended tool - ultrasonic cutter. Not familiar but appears to be about a $400 item.

3. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    I'm using his seats on a DeAgostini Jaguar build, a little rough but workable, and much better than the kit seats.

4. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    There is also a company making wheel arch extensions (fender flares) for the 1/8 Porsche 911. Mec Tec I think? Not positive about the name.

5. humberto rosario

humberto rosario Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    macau, china
    Full Name:
    humberto rosario
    agree!

6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    humberto rosario and NürScud like this.
  7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  11. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
  12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  13. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Not model kits but built to a very high standard so I thought I would list here.

Automodello will do a 1/24th Iso Grifo 1969 in red, Black and silver with wire wheels or alloy wheels. They just did another Mustang showcar and will do a Cadillac Allante and Buick Skylark 1954 and Delahaye 135 in 1/24th scale. I am trying to talk him into a Mangusta also in 1/24th scale. The quality is second to none.

14. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  15. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I've seen most of their models up close and reviewed many - while they are very good, the quality is really not always "second to none." And there are some accuracy issues with a number of them in all scales. With that said, I would be happy to see their Iso Grifo, and hope it will be done well; and...if it is good/accurate, I might buy one.

16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Well ofcourse the very limited production eastern block companies along with the B&G works of art in 1/43rd and one 1/24th Bugatti, but what other mainstream company puts out better quality production models in the larger scales? Bauer in 1/12th? 99% of the 1/18th model companies are not that accurate and mainly do newer cars. Tecnomodels is really bad and BBR has paint 1/2 inch thick to scale.

17. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I did find a few faults with his models. I also question his choices on for example the Ford Mustang showcar wheels. He should have used the original wheels not the as restored wheels. I was also disappointed that he canceled the FORD GT Roadster model in 1/24th scale. He said no one ordered it amazingly.

18. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I was not comparing any of their models to any of the B&G - EMC models. Bauer 1:12 have problems, but are still very good, there are a few others whose 1:12 work is overall better - 12Art by Matrix, and in diecast some previous Kyosho models, Premium Classixxs, and some of the AutoArt. Granted they are more mass market, but that doesn't change research, attention to detail & accuracy, and overall quality. Before stopping production of their own range, the Danbury Mint was producing the overall finest 1:24 production models. Ilario is one of the best (non eastern block) in both 1:43 and 1:18. Tecnomodel... well... I think we all agree on how bad they are. BBR while not perfect, do a very good to excellent job with their 1:18 Ferrari's. I agree about all of their smaller 1:43rds with thick paint, and they have other problems too. I also mostly agree that the majority of 1:18 models models produced are not accurate, but there are and have been many that are great, accurate and worthwhile pieces, more than 1%. Just have to have a keen eye, and be very selective.

19. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I'm also surprised about the Ford GT Roadster, but I think that a lot of the lack of orders can be attributed to marketing and dealer issues. The Mustang II show car is a very good model, but does have a few accuracy problems. Still a very worthwhile model for anyone collecting Mustang's or Ford models.

F1tommy likes this.
  20. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    The Jenkins Special, the other Duesy and the D8-120 are quite correct. Zero complaints about accuracy on mine. Been close and under them all, lots of refs.
    Some of the other subjects are quite meh, 1:1 and in scale.
    Waited for decades for someone to do more Duesies but nobody stepped up.
    Was the GT a GT40 spider? Or the late model thing?
    Tons of more historically and aesthetically significant cars out there than Riv, Mk III, Mustang 1. Mitchell Cyclone, Y-Job, ....
    Oh well.

BOKE likes this.
  21. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    The Delage D8-120 body shape has a number of flaws, it is simply not correct. "Close but no cigar." I know this car well and have spent a good deal of time with it, as well as research of it. On the flip side the Jenkins Special is very good.

22. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Marshall, you’ve proclaimed things correct or incorrect in past. Not starting a fight, just years of observation.
    Some 1:1’s I’ve shepherded thru restorations in Padua(Dino’s), Reilly’s, Bobby in TX, and Wayne’s, amongst others. Shown easily 10-15x at PB since 82-83. More than several were modeled, by various. Precisely none were perfect. Zero.
    Not going to happen. Certainly with Phony and Flashy, Pourtout, others, far more difficult to translate to scale. Jenkins is amazingly on the money, maybe 1-2 little things.
    So please dial back on condemnation, the D8 is excellent, more limits of production than NOT CORRECT.
    I’ll refrain from picking apart your stuff, like I said, not starting a fight. Don’t need more drama.
    Back to programming. ;)

BOKE likes this.
  23. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

Wow, thanks....
    "....Not starting a fight...."
    Well...you did not come across that way.
    I've assisted on some restorations as well. Working with 1:1 cars is different than model making. I know what I know, and no, the D8 in question is not excellent. Good/ok: yes; excellent: no. I have seen other various 1:43 models of this car too, and as you stated, I agree none were perfect. There is no perfect model, but in the collectible model field, with regard to flaws and or inaccuracy, there are limits of acceptability which are based on a number of factors. Taking all of those into consideration = my prior comments. As a model manufacturer and model maker in the specialty model business I do fully know "limits of production" as well as the great difficulty in translating complex shapes to scale, but it can be done. There is really No point in any back & forth here; you have your opinion, and I have mine.

24. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Sorry you’re so defensive. We each have our opinions, but one doesn’t consider production costs/retail ask/interest....

I’ve seen 4-5 figure models have far worse flaws than the D8 in question. We’ve seen incredibly inexpensive replicas that are quite good.

It seems that a forceful “it’s wrong” from a long time producer of replicas gets people to back down. I responded because in this entire thread that I occasionally comment, this is first time I’ve seen opinion passed as dogma. This isn’t P&R, where opinions are intransigent and evidence is tangential.

This thread is a great channel to see new offers, and comment. I thank Tom and others that keep it going.

I said I didn’t want a fight, and meant it. But glass houses and price points not bedamned.

BOKE likes this.