360 - Radio Illumination - not used? Is there a place to tap into? | FerrariChat

360 Radio Illumination - not used? Is there a place to tap into?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Albert Penello, Aug 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    Hello everyone!

Today my first Ferrari arrived - a 2003 360 Modena. It's a great car but I've wasted no time starting a few small projects.

I'm installing a new Continental TR7412UB-OR which I love for this era of European cars since it has a very factory look but includes BT, USB and Aux. It's also great since it's a factory ISO radio so it literally just plugs into the existing harness.

However, I noticed that the factory harness has no illumination for the radio. Did some searches and that seems to be the case - the radios did not light up. Is that correct?

If so I'd really like to get the radio to light up at night but I'm not at all interested in butchering the wiring harness. Is there an easily accessible wire that I can tap into that will give me illumination power? How are others solving this problem?

Thanks much!

pilotoCS and greg328 like this.
  2. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Remove the climate control panel and tap into the yellow wire.

3. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    My factory radio (2003 360) lights up when the lights are on and the radio is on.

billy.gif likes this.
  4. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    Thanks all. I think the factory radio illuminates all the time when it's turned on, because the ISO plug in the harness has nothing connected to the illumination pin (B6). So when installing an aftermarket radio you'll either need to tap into an illumination source OR jump the wires to have it powered all the time. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do since tapping into wiring in this car is not really preferred :)

FWIW - Ferrari seems to reverse the always-on 12v source and the igntion 12v source from the standard ISO configuration. Took me a bit to figure out why the radio would work but not keep the time settings. Turns out you have to unpin the harness and swap the wires (pretty easy to do) if you want to install an aftermarket radio.

f355spider likes this.