Looking for independent shop in San Diego area? | FerrariChat

Looking for independent shop in San Diego area?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by icelander47, Aug 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. icelander47

icelander47 Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    What recommendations that people are currently using in the San Diego area for Indy shops?

2. hansw

hansw Karting

Mar 12, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Hans J Weber
    Gary Bobileff of Bobileff Motor Cars. He's serviced my Ferraris for 30 years.

tritone likes this.
  3. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Steve Maxwell @ Exotic Car Service, just off Miramar Rd by the air station. I only needed his services once, but he was very helpful.

4. icelander47

icelander47 Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    I wanted to go to Steve, but I think his shop is closed

5. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Bobileff if he is still in business. Newer and vintage stuff. Been a few years since I lived in the area.
    Fast cars up the road in Costa Mesa. Worth the drive and comes highly recommended by folks on this site.
    Don't know if Zak Duggar is still over there...... he is very good at working on the vintage cars.

6. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    James Millar, Eli’s European. 820 University Ave. He does phenomenal work. 619-295-8482

7. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
  8. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    He serviced both my Fcars, no complaints.

9. TommyTheV

TommyTheV Karting

Sep 17, 2022
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy T.
    Bump for any more recommendations?

Most shops are either closed or just classics

10. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    #10 rob5819, Dec 17, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
    I've heard good things about https://gpautoworks.com/. The guys running this place worked at SD Ferrari for many years with a lot of fans. I still only take my cars to Nick at SD Ferrari, but some friends have worked with Dale and say he is great.

11. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Dale at gpautoworks is indeed great and is a good person. James at Eli's is also a good bet.

Malcolm

rob5819 likes this.
  12. nero corsa

nero corsa Karting

Apr 4, 2017
    Dale from GPautoworks is great. He is the original master tech at SD Ferrari. He was with SD Ferrari since the service center was off of trade street.
    The other place is HG Motorsport, Alain is the tech that is great as well.

13. TommyTheV

TommyTheV Karting

Sep 17, 2022
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy T.
    Glad to hear more great things about Dale from GP from fellow members. I checked them out when Rob posted but they have no Yelp and only 2 reviews on Google so was waiting on any more personal experiences.

May be an odd question to ask but how do you get there without scraping your car? Based on Google maps the ramp looks kind of steep. Haha

14. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    when you schedule service they send you a map-basically go around back and enter from the back.

TommyTheV likes this.
  15. TommyTheV

TommyTheV Karting

Sep 17, 2022
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy T.
    That is comforting to hear. Thanks

16. 601

601 Karting

Dec 19, 2010
    California
    Dale just opened up four months ago. My personal experience is that he’s competent, helpful and caring.

17. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Gary did good work on my 328 and 308. And his Miura restorations are off the charts…

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tritone likes this.
  18. TommyTheV

TommyTheV Karting

Sep 17, 2022
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy T.
    Hi,

I took my car into GP Autoworks today and left very well informed, taken care of, and much more pleasant than I felt compared to the dealership I bought the car from! More on that dealership in another post.

Eric and Dale are lovely guys as members have pointed out so thank you all for that referral. https://gpautoworks.com/
    Their workshop is new but very well-kept nonetheless. I am a first-time Ferrari owner and had tons of questions and they didn't hesitate to answer any of them.

I decided to do this "Post" Purchase Inspection because I felt the PRE purchase inspection was only okay, and I confirmed it wasn't all that great after reading some recent reviews and run-ins from other members at the place. Figured I wouldn't mind spending extra to get a post-inspection to make sure all is well and I am glad GP came through. Being only 30 miles out from me wouldn't hurt to try either as they might also just be the closest Indy shop as well :)

Already booked my annual service with GP amongst other things since I can feel they are very straight-up guys. I wasn't given a list of a dozen items that are "optional but recommended". Very comprehensive with what is good, what needs to be looked at down the road, and thankfully nothing that is immediate.

Just putting it out there this is a genuine "review" for GP from a fellow member who is new to owning an F430.

Hope this helps others like me looking for a local shop they can feel comfortable with.

All the best! :D

rob5819 likes this.
  19. 308inSD

308inSD F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2010
    SD, CA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I heard that Steve Maxwell is still in business, but moved from Miramar area up to San Marcos or somewhere around there. Does anybody know for sure?

20. foresterguy

foresterguy Rookie

May 22, 2015
    Full Name:
    Steve M.
    He's now in Carlsbad