Washing the car | FerrariChat

Washing the car

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MauroV, Aug 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Finally getting round to washing the car, it's amazing how for a reasonably big vehicle there isn't actually that much of it to wash. My other thought was that the Mondial really does look fabulous in the flesh. Even if its strangely hard to capture that in a photo. Some of the small details, like the curve over the front wheels or the way the angle of the side vents mirrors that of the rear side windows are just fantastic. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua, moysiuan, Roward7 and 2 others like this.
  2. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Looks great! Amazing color

3. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Such a beautiful color!! Azzuri?

Temple

4. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Yes, that is Azzuro

5. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Thanks. Yep, Azzurro Met 502/C

6. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Beautiful car Mauro! Brings back memories of washing my 86 coupe I had cut a sheet of plastic that I would put over the motor before I washed the car to keep the electronics dry. Luckily I never forgot to take it off after I was done.

7. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Hi Rob. That's a great idea. :)

rob likes this.
  8. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I remember keeping the compressor with air gun at the ready to blow out the tight spots.

9. cianfichi

cianfichi Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Beautiful!!! Now this is a Quattrovalvole not a 3.2 right?, so did they color match the bumpers for this second gen Mondial? I notice you have no grill in the rear. Or did you make some mods? This blue is really nice! Stunning!
    Vince

10. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Hi Vince

Yes, it's a 1983 QV 3.0. The car was yellow when I bought it so when I had it put back to the original Azzurro I cheated on the bumpers and had them painted the same colour. Originally they would have been black. If the rear grill you mention is the one that covers the exhaust, I think that was a USA only feature.

Regards

Mauro

11. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    They did an excellent job on the bumpers I thought it was a 3.2.

12. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    I agonised over whether or not I should paint the bumpers blue. :) I really wanted the car to be as original as possible but the black bumpers, to my eye, really mess up the line of the car while the body coloured bumpers make the car look much more sleek. And Ferrari must have realised that, eventually, otherwise they wouldn't have done it for the 3.2 onward. In the end I decided if I changed my mind I could always paint them black again! ;)

13. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    So let me ask, are we supposed to cover the engine with something when we wash these cars?

14. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've never done this. I also drive in the rain (without plastic covering the engine obviously).

15. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Just don't point a high pressure hose and directly spray down the engine. Too many electrical connectors in there and they are not waterproof like more modern cars tend to be.

16. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I always figured better safe than sorry.

17. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Awesome car, love the color.
    I always use a tarp over the engine.

Rosey likes this.
  18. milko1969

milko1969 Formula 3

Feb 21, 2012
    Breda, Holland
    Full Name:
    Milko
    Put the car with a warm engine in a carwash and there Will be nog problem at all. Thats the way I like to do it because I don’t like to wash the car by hand.

19. cianfichi

cianfichi Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    That sounds like a good idea.