488 - Ferrari service puts 184Miles on 18 spider | Page 3 | FerrariChat

488 Ferrari service puts 184Miles on 18 spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Michaelw488, Jul 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    So was the typo on mileage in or mileage out? Odds are 100 to 1 they say mileage in. (unverifiable)

2. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    If it was indeed a typo, maybe you can ask them for a little rollback :eek::D:cool:

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Solid State likes this.
  3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I get that the dealer in this case has more spain'n to do. Only the owner should be driving the car for fun. To do otherwise is despicable. On another note, a single visit to the dealer for me is a 3 hour round trip and not on enjoyable roads. At least its me that's doing the driving but then again I don't want to take that trip multiple times because something wasn't fixed the first time.

SAFE4NOW and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  4. stkpick101

stkpick101 Rookie

Sep 25, 2013
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Serge
    The only time they put miles on is when road tests are required and issue cannot be easily resolved. What was the recall? Regardless, your advisor should have informed you beforehand. Contact them and express your concern first. I am certain, verification is what they will state. As courtesy, they may offer free maintenance or future credit. No matter how you look at it, 184 miles is not worth going nuts over.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Damn, that's like 3 years of regular Ferrari usage....

6. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    A habit from long long ago: I log the mileage at every fill-up in a small glove-box notebook.
    Service department "mileage transcription errors" have a cross-check, with that notebook.

(Also helps track fuel prices in various locations.)

Although the main reason I started that logging (including pump number), is when a gas station pumped sand into my fuel tank, back in the early '70s.
    Documenting where and when you bought fuel can come in handy.

of2worlds and daytona355 like this.
  7. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    If you really want to verify their "story", there is something else you can do.

Take your car into a different Dealer or Independent (does not matter which so long as they have an SD tool), and have them read / log the ECU. There is data stored in the ECU that will indicate things like ---- recent drive times, speeds, distances, etc. You can then compare that against what you know about your own most recent drives in the car, and some conclusions may be drawn.

In fact, if you are a very skeptical person (like me :)), I would take it to an Independent rather than another Dealer for this....... as Dealers are all in the same network and share / access each other's info..... so they may be reluctant to be make waves against another Dealer (or be fully truthful with you).

FWIW

8. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Call me naive, but I don’t think all official Ferrari dealers are out to get you. I seriously doubt they’d risk losing a valued customer over this, and/or risking the customer putting everything in writing to Italy, and get a warning.

IMVHO, if dealer says 184 miles driven is a typo, then press them to produce the actual mileage driven, and why. From my experience with my local official dealer, they promptly and gladly put forward that information.

Either way, don’t lose sleep over this. No one in their deathbed ever said “boy I wish my Ferrari had less mileage on the odo”.

Again, imho, I think it’s worse in terms of the dealer’s image and reputation, to return the car to you “filthy” as you say, than a typo.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

tfazio, TheMayor, AClark and 2 others like this.
  9. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I hope that the dealership has a good explanation, or at least some proof of the error in odometer reading for you when you speak to them. We all entrust very expensive cars to the care of these firms, and I would like to think that they exercise as much care as we do when looking after the cars.

There can be legitimate reasons for driving so far, so I hope the OP remembers this and enjoys his vacation for now. When the time comes, let us know what happened so we can be as pleased as you are that they have proof of the error, or that the 184 miles was due to bedding in some free replacement brake pads or an upgrade to the ECU giving you an extra 40bhp! Forza Ferrari

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I was going to suggest this as well. If it comes back as a typo - excellent, no harm, no foul.

If it comes back that they did drive 200 miles, you will have caught them with their pants down. It could very well be a rouge technician, you would be doing other Ferrari owners that take their cars to the same dealership a favor. If not a typo, I would seriously then ask them what they plan to do to 'rectify' the situation. Driving a car for personal joy ride is an egregious act.

11. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La

Wrong. Brakes pads can be bedded in a mile or two in just a few minutes. Then let the brakes cool down and it is done. Do it at the race track all the time.

12. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Since they had it over a weekend, someone had a great date night in your car, I suspect....
    I would also be pissed. Good advice to have the data log checked by an independent, if found to to be true at least make them pay for a thorough detail job since they returned it filthy, also unacceptable.
    Good luck.

Manda racing likes this.
  13. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Agree, dealer does not usually bed brakes on a new car delivery, why on a repair ? Also, at those miles needing brakes is highly unlikely. Does sound like a joyride....

14. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I would reject their service charges in full with my credit card company...........and never speak to them again.

Zcobra1 likes this.
  15. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    When the car has a regular service performed, one of the first things that is done is that the Ferrari diagnostic computer is connected and all of the fault codes and history of everything is downloaded from all of the ECU's in the car. This information is stored in the DEIS and is also sent to Ferrari NA and Italy. This will show the mileage that the car came in with (although it will be in Kilometers, so you will have to convert it to miles), and you can compare it with the mileage on it when you picked it up after the service. The dealership can easily access the DEIS memory and print it out for you.

SAFE4NOW, of2worlds, Themaven and 3 others like this.
  16. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    There's probably a logical explanation. In my experience mechanics sort of feel about cars the way gynecologists feel about "lady parts"...just another day at work.

I'd ask the dealer manager and service manager what justified it because it does seem abnormally high, but worst case scenario is that some young mechanic enjoyed your car for a couple of hours. Not okay in principle, but as long as your car is undamaged not that big a deal. "Boys will be boys" and all that. But at least if you make it known you think something weird went on it will be unlikely to happen again.

My 2 cents. Nice car.

daytona355 and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  17. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave

Doesn't appear to be the issue here but sometimes I wish mechanics would do longer test drives - 2 hours/200 miles, to make sure they've actually resolved all the issues. I can't count the number of times in my life I've got a car back from being fixed and had an issue flair up again after a 1/2 hour in the car. When I ask why they didn't test it thoroughly, they always say the same thing..."we just do a 10 minute test drive". A lot of times that seems very inadequate.

SAFE4NOW, Solid State and daytona355 like this.
  18. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    agreed ... my F12 had a random seeming computer issue that I finally sent the car to the dealer for repair and the service manager called me and asked me if he could do an extended test drive because he was having issues getting it to replicate the problem.. I told him go ahead and he got it fixed then called again and said he would like to drive it home over nite to make sure all was good (he lived about 40 miles away would garage it overnight etc.) I told him ok he did it car was fixed and I got it back fine....I guess they put a couple of hundred miles on it but it was fixed.....I should also explain I live over 200 miles from the dealer and did not want it to come back till it was fixed

davemqv, SAFE4NOW, of2worlds and 2 others like this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Agreed if they did not do a typo. I think the best thing is to first verify. It could be really a typo. We don't know.

daytona355 likes this.
  20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I had the Ferrari dealer in Vegas have a mechanic take me on their "shakedown run" route with my car. It was about 3.5 miles total and to be honest, in that 3.5 miles you can get a feeling of everything -- brakes, temps, engine, gearbox, HVAC, electronic functions, etc.

I also agree that most dealers are not out "to get you". My opinion is that its a mistake of some kind but there's no harm in investigating. That's about 2 -3 hours of driving. Seems excessive to test a vehicle without a problem.

The shakedown is one of the most important things the dealer can do. No one wants to give the customer back their car with a problem. That really fries the customer, especially if its a long way back home.

21. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    reading the OP, I highly doubted the dealer actually drove the car for 184. First thought was it has to be a typo on the mileage in. And...that's what they are saying. Without knowledge or some other mileage indication (from a pic, from another service, a state reg check or similar) that is the end of it.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  22. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I would REALLY like to know what dealer did this.

23. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I took my daily driver M4 in for repair/replacement of a small piece of plastic window trim under warranty. When I got it back I noticed they had put about 28 miles on the car. A little pissed, I called the service writer on it. He said BMW required a test drive to reset the computers after this repair:rolleyes:

J

24. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I hope this ends up being s nothingburger but I’ll share a story from another perspective.

I had given a car to sell to a local dealer as consignment. Car didn’t sell so a few weeks later I came to pick up my brand new car that have sold. Car had 100 miles on the odometer.

Wtf?? When I gave it- to him it had about 40. 60 miles or test drives? I was pissed! I called the owner and gave him a piece of my mind. He said car had 98 miles when I gave it to him.

No way, you are lying i told him. He showed me the consignment paperwork. 98 miles with my signature next to it.

I felt like an idiot and apologized. Completely my error.

Moral of the story- make sure the car was actually driven 184 miles before you get upset.

25. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ferrari or not, 184 added miles after service is uncalled for. If they did that to my wife’s Honda Odyssey I will be PO and I will complain and demand an explanation.

galt likes this.