The C8 and future Ferrari sales? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

The C8 and future Ferrari sales?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Nachtfalter, Jul 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lagunascorpio

Lagunascorpio Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Southern CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan L
    Let the record show... if I could afford an F8 (or even a 458 Speciale) I would absolutely choose that over a C8.

one4torque and VAF84 like this.
  2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Get a stick 360 if you want to scratch that Ferrari itch before/if you go back to Corvettes.

G. Pepper and ttforcefed like this.
  3. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    My simple opinion is for years many corvette folks have stayed away from mid engine platforms. Now with the C8, (which I think may be awesome) the mid engine experience will be demystified. This will spark an interest in other mid engine offerings especially those in the Lower price range especially with MT’s, and those with lower maintenance costs (360, 430, and eventually the 458.). New large potential market opening up.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
  5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Yes, a 360 stick is one of the most perfect Ferraris. :)

one4torque likes this.
  6. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
  7. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I’m enjoying reading the article comments in response to our comments!

The ultimate internet automotive discussion :)

I wonder if any of this banter makes it across gm or Ferrari brand execs.....?

8. Rjoselaw

Rjoselaw Karting

Mar 10, 2019
    Southlake, Texas
    Full Name:
    Raj J
    I dont know if this is the same for anyone else but I have always dreamed of owning a ferrari and now I do. The C8 is a great looking car and seems to be a great bang for your buck but is it a dream car substitute for someone who has always wanted a ferrari or lamborghini? I dont think I would buy a C8 and then feel satisfied to the point that I wouldnt still want a ferrari. My ferrari turns heads and it is 17 years old. A C8 will turn heads until there is enough of them on the road to dull the excitement. The novelty will pass but a C8 will never be a substitute for someone who has always wanted a Ferrari. And yes, I think it will effect the sale of used Ferraris such as mine, but not in the long term. My thoughts on the subject anyway.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Skidkid, kes7u and one4torque like this.
  10. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I would say one would have to consider what is the "normal" price depreciation of a used Ferrari (360, 430, 458). And then compare it to the depreciation of the new C8-- in just the next few years. Then you may have an answer to the OP's original question as to will folks walk away from a used Ferrari to buy a C8.

11. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Kc- true.

Also need to factor in 1-5k per year or more for f car main.

12. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I just got home from a drive in my 430, I’d never consider another Corvette!

13. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    I agree, I can see the C8 pulling plenty of sales from Porsche's mid-engine range. Perhaps it won't effect the 911s but certainly the Boxster and the Cayman.

brookliner7 and TheMayor like this.
  14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Cars depreciate at 10% per year on a declining balance. It may vary a little but not much so you can count on what depreciation looks like for most cars. The 360 will likely follow the same curve but the standard deviation will be a lot more because of condition combined with a thin market. The new Vette will probably depreciate 5% - 8% per year for a couple of years because there is no used inventory yet. SO, I would expect depreciation to be similar for the two cars over the next few years BUT the 360 market is highly variable so it won't be as easy to tell as you might like.

NOTE: you can run the depreciation off the car price. All of the extra fees like taxes are paid by each buyer based on location.

15. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Just because it's mid engine? (C7 is already cheaper and faster)

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The C7 is really for an older crowd than the Porsche. The C8 is clearly designed to cut into their territory

It's not just similar packaging. The Corvette has finally turned modern while rejecting "old school".

The only thing that will hold it back is the overdone interior. The Porsche Cayman still looks more serious and it's one of my biggest complaints with the C8. It looks like a fighter jet cartoon.

KC360 FL and INTMD8 like this.
  17. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    #167 KC360 FL, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Buying the "right" vetted (no pun intended) 360 or 430 should not equate to up to $5K in maintenance each year. But some folks can be extremely unlucky.

But of course it is a factor when comparing it to a new car with a warranty. But also one needs to factor in the interest rate on the new car purchase. I suspect most buying a 360 or 430 are not going for financing. And if so only a partial amount.

I suspect a lot of guys will simply experience the new C8 for a few years and then move on to something else. Not thinking many folks considering a 360 or 430 are in the same frame of mind.

And for those who keep the C8 for the long haul, well, then maintenance costs becomes an issue too.

I still believe a 360 or 430 purchase vs. a C8 is comparing apples to oranges with all things considered.

18. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Easy to crunch a $/ mile for mid engine experience.

19. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    This topic has been discussed a BUNCH of times. Suffice to say: if you are not doing DIY, over the long haul it will average $3K to $4k per year in maintenance. This does not including tires, insurance, gas, etc. Then just apply the miles you log and you get an answer. NOTE: they vary a lot on $/mi because some almost never drive their cars and some drive a lot. You probably drive a lot more some years than others.

Lagunascorpio likes this.
  20. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    This is an interesting thought and you might be right ...good post

21. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Scanning quickly through the thread, tension stirred up by this C8 certainly can be felt. But it really shouldn't be that way. With the ever increasing # of millennials who see car only as an appliance to go from point A to point B, and relentless govt regulations to increase mpg, we are a dwindling group of enthusiasts who should really gather to celebrate that a manufacturer has brought forth a car powered by a good old ICE that is not forced-induced/hybridized/electrified/displacement-castrated. Yes, a naturally-aspirated 6.2L V8! I'm super excited by that fact alone even without it being mid-engined or DCT'ed. In the end, there is no denying the C8 is a dramatic move by Chevy that will keep other makers on their toes and pressure other mid-engined manufacturers to strive for significant improvements and innovations to justify the significant price difference. I see that as a win-win for all petrolheads/enthusiasts, regardless of makers.

I can't wait to hear about how the drive/handling/performance numbers of this C8 and it's future Z06/ZR1 variants.

greg328 and Skidkid like this.
  22. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Ok, this is a timely thread for me. I'm a fairly cheap guy. I can prove it because I currently own a 83 Mondial cab. I also do all my own work, and have for decades. Recently I've decided to move from a low-end, DIY, semi-exotic, or maybe 'mundane' Ferrari to something with a bit more spirit. My first quest began in march when I started looking at a Maserati coupe. I wasn't too thrilled with that, so started looking at a Gallardo. Which led me to a 360 as well.

I've never owned a Corvette, never really wanted one until I heard 'mid-engine'. Then - I heard 'under $60k'! Suddenly, it was on the radar. Big time. I have a tenant who is a new car salesman, and he's been selling GM for > 15 years. He's a good tenant and we developed a good working relationship so I gave him a call the other day. Now, I know what you're thinking, 'used car salesman BS', and 'only lies when his lips are moving'. But I told him I wanted to make a serious inquiry about the C8. He said there's a ton of interest from people who've never owned, or thought about owning a Chev, or a Corvette. He called me back a few hours later. Their allocation for Dec is 8 cars, they are all pre-sold. Jan they are getting a min of 32 and they have deposits for 24 already, and 9 are pre-sold. Less than 20% of the build are going to be base models, most are going to be well optioned cars north of $85k, but that is still in range for me.

Leaves me looking at a Gallardo, with the E-gear issues, and oil pump shaft issues. Or - a 360, maybe a 430(low option) with the trans, and sticky, and exhaust issues(don't bother to debate), or - brand new mid-engine car made in the US, with decent performance, full warranty, and for me anyway better looking than all prev corvettes except maybe the 1967. I'm going to put an order in for the C8. So, this is one data point that a 360/430 used car sale will be affected.

My tenant is going to get a nice commish, I'm going to get an orange C8. Yes, I will see more of them on the road, and yes, it doesn't have a prancing horse/bull, and yes it is made of plastic. Oh well. No third pedal is a little disconcerting, but if it goes haywire, I think I'll get the extended warranty, and drive with full bliss. It'll at least keep up with the 360 in all but the most hairy situations. If I need to shift, and hear the flat-plane crank, and work on my injection, and fiddle with the relay board I can always get the Mondial out for a few hours.

Sorry(not really)

greg328, VAF84, LARRYH and 2 others like this.
  23. Lagunascorpio

Lagunascorpio Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Southern CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan L
    I can assure you that it will positively eviscerate a 360 in all situations. Probably even the 430.

24. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I think it will impact the speed of resale of used Ferrari's in that price range...but a Ferrari is still a Ferrari.

25. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    #175 brookliner7, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    Yeah...Well… After watching more videos about the C8 I’m feeling like I’m getting over the whole Ferrari is cool thing now that my 360 is been sitting for weeks partly because a part was unavailable, hard to source, and when you can find them you’re paying ridiculous amounts for them. I’ve done plenty of work on my 360 myself, but the onboard diagnostics are terrible And so useless on the car, even “skilled” technicians are stumped at times.
    Finding a “skilled” mechanic is almost like finding a unicorn it seems.

Not sure if other members have noticed, but in the 360/430 forum, pretty much every thread is about how something is broken on their car or they can’t figure out what’s wrong with it.

starting to like the idea of a pushrod V8 with the warranty...sigh...Starting to get curious how much Chevrolet would give me as a trade-in…please someone talk some sense into me.

one4torque and Lagunascorpio like this.