First Negative encounter/person messing with my 430. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

First Negative encounter/person messing with my 430.

Discussion in '360/430' started by Zack Hawker, Jul 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    Honestly i wouldnt confront anyone even if he vandalises my car in front of me, its just not worth the hassle and the potential heavier losses. Maybe i'm just a wuss, but like i said, if you get pally with a local garage, they can fix most aesthetic issues for under $100 and thats inclusive of labor AND paint touch-up. i've done dents for less than that.
    At the risk of confronting someone who might literally have NOTHING to lose, thats really not smart in my books. Perhaps pride and that whole manly thingie might force you to act and prevent you from "sucking it up", but if you would just give it a little more thought, the minor repairs (which you can just take as "maintenance"), vs getting into an all out altercation, with an armed individual who might have nothing to lose, i cant rationalise this course of action.
    My 2 cents, cheers!

(Drive safe!!!)

SoftwareDrone likes this.
  2. ZA3879

ZA3879 Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Z
    Enticing some ****** nozzle to empty his mag isn’t an optimal situation. I don’t think it’s a lack of balls for OP. It was an intelligent choice. Anger is a disease and a weakness.

3. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I've lived in my current location for 12 years. Absolutely loved it when I moved here! I have noticed a significant change in people's behavior over that 12 years. They act way less friendly, and feel more angry, entitled and jealous. I don't want to get political, but I don't believe that our government, in its entirety, is doing any of us any favors.

My wife and I made a decision several years back to limit our spending and leave the rat race sooner than later. Planning to move to a way less populated area.

Kevin

4. Marc Rachbind

Marc Rachbind Rookie

Aug 5, 2018
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Rachy
    Mmm, can't say I would have been able to control my temper. You did the right thing, I may not have.

5. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    I get the whole don't confront it's not worth it attitude, I just don't understand taking it and not doing anything at all. BTW, I don't think holding somebody accountable is synonomous with "pride" and "that whole manly thingie."

6. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I live in Scottsdale, and have never experienced anything like this, including that same Home Depot.

7. Zack Hawker

Zack Hawker Karting

Feb 27, 2018
    Paradise Valley, Az
    Full Name:
    Zack Az Realtor
    Thanks all for your thoughts/comments as its nice to be around "good people/minds on this forum. As far as not calling the cops it was a time issue and avoiding emotional stress. I had other work at hand where I would actually make money and grow my business. But hind sight, as he may of had outstanding warrants etc and been taken away in cuffs would of been fulfilling.
    As some of you mentioned confronting him would of been me at 25 now 39 and maybe a bit more grown up. It was not being a *****, but more of a rational thought process and deciding what was the best outcome out of a confrontation. Trust me, I am 6'4" 240lb and used to do private security, trained in hand to hand combat and fought in 6 MMA fights. (Won 5 lost my front tooth on the 6th) Lets not talk about that one lol. I have no doubts of how it would of ended. Probably with an assault charge on me. With a felony I would lose my Real Estate License. So risking my career that led to my dream car is not worth some ****** bag. But yes, the cops being called is a regret. All in all, I learned a lesson and moving on. Gave me a reason to detail my car which I enjoyed as well.
    Cheers all.....

8. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Our Tesla has a "Sentry mode" which records incidents that are tripped by motion against the front or side cameras. There is a FB group where they post videos. It is downright scary what people do, and I'm guessing it's somewhat Tesla-specific. One guy threw his coffee on a Model 3 and spit on it.

That being said, my 430 is mainly A to A driving but I have taken it to HD multiple times and parked in the back of the lot.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm 360 Canuck and MalcQV like this.
  9. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Boy am I in the wrong forum. I think living in TX has given me a mistaken idea of the rest of the country which seems to have just signed over their balls en-mass. It's a low down dirty shame when a guy won't stand up for his own property, even if it means calling the cops and letting them deal with it. Every one of my arrests was well worth it. Still zero convictions. I fear for our nation, an entitled, ball-less latte-macciato drinking LGBTWZHYR mishmash of androgenic worms. Cya,

Texasrecurve and Racer_X like this.
  10. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Doc - I appreciate and respect your service...... but remember alot of civilians don't have the training, or hardware to approach a clearly armed perhaps deranged individual.

Also..... a law man will have certain privaledges regarding interpretation of intent and outcome..... vs a reg joe civilian can be put in a litigious situation, or shot, or both..... know-what-I-mean? ;) ..... 30 yrs ago your logic worked just fine...... but today... it's just not safe for joe-civilian.

paulchua, I'm 360 Canuck and ZA3879 like this.
  11. ZA3879

ZA3879 Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Z
    I respect everyone’s opinions, however I do believe considering everyone has lost their balls is A bit of a stretch. Choosing not to get into a potentially life threatening situation over an ignorant hater isn’t about balls. For the record, I pack heat everywhere I go, and wouldn’t hesitant to drain someone who puts my life in jeopardy.

Like others have said, enjoy your Ferrari in good health and keep it moving.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  12. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Guys, I said my piece. It is what it is. Put all the pink bows on the turd you want. I do appreciate the fear of litigation. People with assets should be concerned. But - this is pretty clear cut. A witness to vandalism of personal property. This stuff is why douchebaggery is growing in this nation. No one wants to stop it.

Flyingbrick242 and ZA3879 like this.
  13. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    #63 _JERRY_, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    In the scenario depicted by the OP, i doubt its possible to hold the person "accountable" without a "confrontation" heh. The dude is obviously not gonna yield to words spoken. You could get the cops i guess, but tbh, imo its better to just let it "slide". You piss this guy off more, he's gonna remember your car and registration, the next time he sees u, it wont just be leaving some "residue", if u got him a hefty fine or some jail time for what he did.

I think it always boils down to who has more to lose, that being said; being the owners of exotic cars, we undoubtedly have more to lose, majority of the time. Holding the person accountable works, in a perfect world.

Dont get me wrong, i'm not condoning the dude's actions, he's an idiot, obviously lol. But i'm weighing a simple fix vs an all out altercation.

14. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Sorry off topic. Are you able to PM me? Was hoping to ask you a question.
    Thanks.

Kevin

15. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    You could have peed in his gas tank. That would have made it even.

16. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    In my opinion, calling the police on a guy with a hand gun on his hip who has most likely already seen my license plate on my highly recognizable car is lunacy. Unless they take the guy away and lock him up for life, there is always the chance that the guy will see my car later, verify the license plate number, and put me in the ground.

Apollo 11 and EastMemphis like this.
  17. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    You didn't accidentally snip off all 4 of his tire stems when you bent down to tie your shoe?

Flea7 likes this.
  18. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Lol...this had to be said at some point.

19. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Am I able? Yes, able. Not sure why you don't just send me a PM, but I'll play along.

20. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    People can call me a soyboy, a pinky man, whatever they want...

But one of my rules in life is I don't engage with someone who has absolutely nothing to loose. In that situation if I do ANYTHING, I loose something.. time, money, etc. etc.
    It's why in this country there are two classes of people and will ALWAYS be two classes of people. Those who have something and those who don't. Those who have, bear all the risk of dealing with those who don't. So I won't engage.

OP you did the right thing.

21. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    So you think it's better to let somebody do what this guy did and do nothing than to alert the authorities because of some sort of retribution he might take after he was the one that perpetrated the offense? Where do you draw the line then? What would this guy have to do before you took some action? Many criminals start out doing small crimes and then escalate each time so again, that seems like kicking the can down the road for you or the next person by not standing up for your property. Holding people accountable works in everyday life all the time. Our society stays civil by holding people accountable.

22. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    That's very nice. Too bad it isn't usually the case.
    Personally, I wasn't placed on this earth to give bad guys a lesson in civics. My thoughts on things of this nature is that Karma will take care of them in good time.

As for when I would take action? If my family or my personal safety were threatened in any way. That's where I draw the line.

23. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    Wait what? I thought crime as a whole is lower than it’s been in a long time. Stats usually indicate that a higher police presence usually corresponds with a lower rate of crime. We’ve heard in the same thread that other people have parked in the same place/area as the original poster with no issues. “Isn’t usually the case”? Would like to hear those stats.

I’m not on this earth to give civi lessons either but we clearly see differently on protecting our property.

24. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    A tire valve tool is such a cheap and useful thing to have ;)

25. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Nobody has said this yet but what if the employee was lying? What if there was no gun, no big angry guy and only some wimpy jerk who blamed his misdeeds on some innocent person who parked next to the car in question? Wouldn't be the first time someone came up with a preposterous story to cover their own crimes.