Gulf Mirage M2 might change hands | FerrariChat

Gulf Mirage M2 might change hands

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Booker, Jul 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
  2. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    yes, very pretty but from what I know not particularly successful.

3. 'Used the body in my slotcar racin' days (mid to late late sixties; inter-store), and at the time my chassis wasn't too succesful either.....what a coincidenk.... :)

Booker likes this.
  4. RS4FAST

RS4FAST Karting

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Super cool car, and the restoration looks top notch. May not have the winning history, but it's a pretty special story.

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Unreliable BRM lump was its weakness, still is IMO.

Booker likes this.
  6. 'Rather dated design to even attempt to be competitive, let alone reliable, no? :p ;) :)

'Serious note, t'is a piece of history. :cool:

7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Hall & Hall make any BRM engine reliable these days.

8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    It was a dud in period and is a dud in todays market, no matter how well sorted the engine might be.

9. 'Point being....? :confused:

10. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    Anyone interested should take a look at John Wyer's book The Certain Sound. Great history of his racing career, which includes discussion of this car.

And yes, I had that 1/32 slot car too.

11. 'Don't know of the 1/32nd, 'who was the manufacturer? :confused:
    'Raced 1/24th scratchbuilts in hobby stores (some just slotcars at the time such as this one still on L.I., NY, a short way from the L.I.E.: https://portjeffraceway.com/ ). The Mirage was a clear, very few grams, Lexan body (mine painted up in Gulf colours, of course)... 'Finished my slot "career" with McL Mk 6 and 8 bodies, the last of which were 2 Mk 8 bodies I painted (for a friend and myself) in Gold Leaf Team Lotus colours with Decals from McLaren and Team Lotus models combined to form "Team McLotus" (ala Gurney's Mk 6 "McLeagle". https://www.ulti*atecarpage.com/car/4157/McLaren-M6B--McLeagle--Ford.html )
    as we were McL fans in Can Am and Lotus in F1. 'Still have that last "plumbers nightmare" chassis I built, and McLotus body, stashed away. :)

'T'was a great hobby I just might get back in to.... :cool:

Thanks for the heads up about the book.