Going from a 360 to a 430 - First impressions | FerrariChat

Going from a 360 to a 430 - First impressions

Discussion in '360/430' started by JustinSpain, Jul 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JustinSpain

JustinSpain Karting

May 27, 2015
    Manilva, Spain
    Full Name:
    Justin Aldridge
    #1 JustinSpain, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2019
    Well it's been a while since I posted on here!

A couple of weeks ago I traded in my beloved 360 Spider for a low mileage F430 Spider. It's a really lovely car with a great spec.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I had the 360 for 4 years and absolutely loved it. It did give me some stressful moments but it was my first Ferrari and I really enjoyed those 4 years with the car. I did about 30,000KM over the 4 years and I wanted to trade it in for something a bit newer and a bit more reliable.

The 430 is a 2007 car with 30,000km on the clock. It's in excellent condition and has obviously been very well looked after.

Going from the 360 to the 430 feels like quite a significant leap. The engine sounds quite different, the F1 gearbox is a massive improvement on the 360, the interior feels a lot more modern and better built and it handles beautifully.

I suppose the biggest difference for me is the sound. I had a Capristo on the 360 and it sounded unbelievably spine tingling. I have the standard exhaust on the 430 (for now) but so far it seems to have a much deeper sound, less high pitched. I assume with a Capristo it may sound quite different.

I was disappointed with the sound of the 430 on startup and on the downshift when the valves were closed so I have had them fixed open which has really helped. It's a really quick fix but I think ultimately I will replace the exhaust with a Capristo again. But I'll leave it a while.

I do like the different sound of the 430...it just takes a little getting used to after the 360.

And I suppose the other difference that's really noticeable is the gear change. The 430 paddle shift is much quicker, smoother and pulling out from a standstill it's significantly better than on the 360.

Anyway, all in all I do love this car very much. It feels like the 360 but with some of the issues ironed out. It's got more power and feels better balanced but it does feel like quite a big jump up all together.

I will be updating my YouTube channel with videos of my ongoing experience with the car. I did a lot of videos with the 360. You can check my channel out here:

In the meantime, you can watch this video I did with it and my friend Victoria where we talk about attracting women in Ferraris ;)

[

I'll share more experiences as I go along on here and on my channel.

Let me know if there's anything in particular you'd like to know!

Cheers

Justin

2. Kitchdog

Kitchdog Karting

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Congrats Justin - car looks brilliant. I hope to follow a similar path as you just a few years behind. Look forward to following the new journey!

3. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I made the same move as you and my impressions mirror yours. Congrats and enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

daveyator likes this.
  4. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
    Congrats on the 430! Curious what differences you sense with 1st gear in particular. It has been a few years since I've driven a 430. I have a 360, and first gear in it feels lack luster, and I never really get on it until I'm in 2nd gear. I seem to recall 1st gear in a 430 being much better.

5. Julius Perbanze

Apr 17, 2019
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Julius Perbanze
    Congratulations Justin, another Ferrari fan from Spain, I’m base in Barcelona. I have recently bought a 360 Modena with 29,000km and hoping to enjoy it. I have to tell you I watched all your videos when I was doing my research to buy a Ferrari and they were really helpful, so congratulations also for the YouTube channel.

Let’s see if someday I take a trip to Malaga and we can do a route with both our cars.

All the best.

6. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Are you allowed to post your Youtube link? It did not come across, and would like to see your videos.

Kevin

7. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    #7 billy.gif, Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2019
    I believe this is the vid Justin is meaning:

PS. I'm a long time Fezza follower, hes experience from 360 (along "Superspeeders Rob") actually made me take the leap from fairly "easy maintained" 911's into the Ferrari 360. Hallo from Finland :)

kes7u likes this.
  8. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    Like others, I’m the same as you. The 430 to it’s credit has waited a year for it’s first glitch. The top has gotten stuck twice and wouldn’t go up. I was into my 360 over $6000 at this point! Unfortunately I think Ferraris only attract guys lol.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

efg2014 likes this.
  9. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    If the biggest difference you notice is the sound, you are deluded, have you hit the gas pedal yet ??

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i understand what OP is saying - if you like the high pitch sound you need to go with a capristo - i personally prefer the lower pitch sound....i have capristo hi flow cats, capristo headers and oem mufflers and my car sounds great.

11. JustinSpain

JustinSpain Karting

May 27, 2015
    Manilva, Spain
    Full Name:
    Justin Aldridge
    #11 JustinSpain, Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2019
    Thanks mate!

Thank you!

I always found that in the 360, pulling out from a standstill it sort of struggled a little, as if slipping the clutch for too long. We tried adjusting the clutch multiple times and adjusting the PIS helped to a point but it was never great. With the 430, as soon as I press the pedal, the car pulls out without any real hesitation.

Great stuff! And yes, give us a shout if you are ever in the areas :)

Strange it didn't appear in the post. This is my channel:

Thanks for sharing the video and for your kind words :)

I've used my car quite a bit now and so far it hasn't missed a beat. I hope that's a good sign of things to come :)

Of course I have and yes it's quicker, but it's not blindingly quicker. My BMW M4 feels quicker than the 430.

I don't really care about the speed of the car, it's the experience and the sound that I relish the most.

Yes, they are very different sounds. I like them both very much :)

billy.gif and kes7u like this.
  12. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Hi Justin, once again congratulations on the F430 and M4. Is the latter back now? Subscribed to Victoria's channel now as there is more of you on there.